Catfish spawn - When does it take place?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Dec 22, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    when do catfish spawn?or as we say here in kentucky we say nestin or on the nest.Is it the same everywhere or do they spawn at different times depending on what state your in?I live here in kentucky and wasnt sure what months they spawn here anybody know?thanks

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well it depends on where you live because of the different temp's but Blue Cats and Channel cats spawn in the spring.....and I think Flatheads spawn in the fall....correct me if I'm wrong somebody.

Good luck, Merry Christmas everyone :cool:

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all depends on water temps. here in ohio its usually end of june through mid july for flats....first week of june to late june or first of july for channels. cant remember water temps, i just know when i start catchin marked up dinks. they'll start spawning first. channels will get a swollen head.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dinkbuster is right on the mark..And they will feed heavy right before the spawn.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here in middle TN, it's may-june + or - a tad depending on water temps.

6. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    It is usually in late spring, early summer that catfish spawn. I think that the channels and blues usually spawn when the water gets to about 70-75 F. I think the flatheads spawn when the water gets to about 75-80.

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The blues here spawn at the end of May....the flats in mid June. Obviously it has more to do with water temp than it does what month...but those are the norm. Our blues start arriving in the river in early April, the flats start biting again in May. Then by July...the blues and most of the flats go back to the lake. Until next springs spawning run.

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Brinley45cal, in a normal year here in KY, the cats usually spawn during the month of June, although it may vary by a couple weeks depending on water temp and such.If your looking to tear up the cats during prespawn, I would start fishing for them during march. Any time after the water starts warming and with the usually high water from spring rains the fish get very active. IMO in the spring cats will hit just about anything at anytime. It doesn't stop there though, because when the cats come out from under the rocks, usually in July, they tend to go into another feed frenzy. Also after that they start feeding for the winter. Good Luck and I hope 2006 is a successful year for you in fishing and everything else. Vern

9. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    It usually starts with a dinner and a movie and a few drinks...no wait. LOL. The guys are all leading you in the right direction hoss.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    They all spawn in the spring between the the temps 70-80 give or take 5 degrees.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here on the Tn river,. The blues and channels will be around Late may or june.
    Flatheads start feeding like crazy first part of april. and feed heavy until they drop the egs around late june.
    Also if we have a high water they will hold off .
    Pete

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks everyone. you guys and gals are awsome as usual,thanks for the help.

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey just keep in mind up till the spawn the cats will be very shallow, and after the spawn they tend to favor deeper areas and structure near the deeper ares.

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here Below Pickwick dam in Tn. I catch channel cats in the tree tops a lot of times the fish are so close to the bank. That when you set the hook, you can see the top fin or tail ..
    Mud bank near deep water.
    Pete