Catfish Spawn Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Cathunter Pete, May 5, 2009.

1. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I've always thought the catfish spawn for blue was in towards the end of may through the first week or so of June. Does anybody know if this is correct or is it another time they spawn. What about the Flatheads, I don't know when they spawn. When they are spawing I know the bite isn't that great, however what is the best tactic to catching them. Any help would be great. I fish the Cape Fear Fayetteville stretch, if that makes a difference when they spawn?

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Pete, most people that I have talked to about Ark. Blues say that the major water temp is 75 degrees for spawning. As for Flatheads, I have no idea.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Everything I've heard for Flatheads points to May-June time frame. Supposedly, once they start coming out of their wintering holes, they are transitioning to their spawning areas. As I understand it, once the water temps start to reach the 67-70 degree mark that is usually flathead spawning time. I could be way off the mark on this one...but thats what I was taught.

4. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    According to a catfish book that I have, the channel cat spawns around 75 degrees and the flathead will spawn in temps between 70 to 80 degrees. It didn't say anything about the blue cat.