Catfish Spawn Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by sailfish218, Mar 13, 2007.

1. sailfish218

sailfish218 New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Folks,

I'm new to the site and look forward to getting some much needed advice from some of you experienced people. I'm interested in any comments on when the spawn starts and how long will it usualy last, How shallow to fish. Are the catfish agressive during this time? How is the fishing after the spawn.

A little about me,
    I live in the Beaufort area and mostly saltwater fish so I don't know much about catfish or striper fishing for that matter. We have a family home on lake Marion with family in Manning. We have been coming up for years but never got in to catfishing until the last couple of years. I have 2 boys who really love it and have had some luck off the dock. We have done a guided charter with limited luck. We've taken our boat out and tried many areas with some luck. Our biggest cat is a 32lb my son just caught last weekend just after dark in about 6' of water anchored off of a small island. Caught on cut bait. I have not tried for stripers yet. I want to get the cats down first.Like many, I hope I can get to the point of more than one,two or three cats an outing. Of course, time on the lake will probably be the best teacher.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC sailfish.

I love the Beaufort area and if I ever get to retire that's where it will be.

3. sailfish218

sailfish218 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks. Beaufort is nice and if you like catfishing you will love Cobia fishing here. Especially in the spring when they migrate in to spawn. Very similar type of fishing.

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome.The best advice I can give you is to fish shallow 10 (3 to 8 are my favorite) foot or less from now till about mid May.You are still gone mark alot of fish in the deep water and still catch some but most of the aggressive ones which is what we want are gonna be shallow for the most part.Everything that blues love to eat is in the shallows right now shad, herring, perch, bream, mussles, snails you name it, its all there.The same spots will usually not produce from day to day in shallow water because shallow water fish are on the move alot.Usually once you find a good spot you can catch several fish out of it.Move 80 to 100 yards from there once the action dies down and try again.My rule of thumb on the shallow water fishin is when I find a flat that I'm gone fish I will anchor down for 30 minutes if nothin move the 80 or so yards and try again.I will do this three times and if nothin all three times search for another flat.As far as when they spawn its hard to say, I think some probably spawn as early as late march all thru till as late as june.I would say that full moon of May would probably be the strongest spawn though.You can still catch fish during spawn but during the strongest spawning times you might notice a decrease in catch rates.
    1. My mother used to have a house at the very end of Lands End Rd. in Beaufort and we used to catch alot of blacktips, jack crevail and of course sting rays and get spooled by things quite regularly too.It was alot of fun.

5. sailfish218

sailfish218 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks Chrisblue,
    Good info. I'll keep you posted. We plan to fish Marion again in about 2 weeks. I hope the water has cleared some by then and the lake level drops too. It is the highest I have ever seen it. Another foot and I think it will be over my dock.

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    when the water temp gets to 70-75 f blue cats spawn most blues will be about 24 in long before they spawn.