Catfish Spawn Info?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by catfishjohn, Jun 5, 2009.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Any of you have good info on the Spawning of Channels, Blues and Flatties? Such as water temps, times, Etc....:confused2: Also, how long do they nest for?:confused2:
    Mankind sent a letter to Kentucky Wild Life and they stated that Its Flatties, Blues and then Channels....:confused2:
    In our own experience it seems the Channels are always the first, not the last to spawn. The Channels have seemed to be on the nests already and the Flatties seem to be getting close to it.
    I know its different in other areas but I'd like to get some good info on the spawn around this area.
    Thanks!!!:cool2:

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Here's the deal pickle <my kids say that.> From what I have seen I beleive you are right . I don't know about blues .But flatties nest a little later . The noodlin season coincides with the spawn ...I know noodlin isn't your thing but that is a rough estimate on when the flattie spawn is just like deer rifle season is set up . This does not mean that all flats spawn at the same time even in the same area . If you guys are catching them in 25ft of water w/no structure around they aren't spawning now if you try the bank and they are in rocks logs etc... like the channels I caught last week at Barkley they probably are spawning even tho rocks are always a good place to catch channels .

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for the input!:wink::cool2:
    We've been catching them in 25-30'+ water away from structure. I think its a 'Flathead Highway' where we've been catching them. Some of the bigger ones appear to be full of eggs but not sure. We've only caught 2 Channels in the last several trips which leads me to believe their on the nests. I don't think the Flats are far behind though.
    I appreciate all the input, trying to get some things figured out for future knowledge.:smile2:

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John with the numbers of flatties you guys have been catching, I would think the channels would be steering clear of the areas you're fishing for fear of being eaten. You know what I'm saying I'm sure. Not scientific but a definite possibility.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats very true Ken, the 1 Channel I caught last week was down river of the spot we've been fishing. It seems like we'd catch Channels in the other areas we fish though. No Channels on the Big Sandy or Greenbo for about 3 weeks. My guess is their on the nest, been throwing good Channel baits and no takers, just the occasional Flattie.:roll_eyes:

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I've heard the old timers say they spawn after the full moon in June. Not sure that all of them spawn at the same time though.

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Try leeches for channels if ther is abait shop around that carries them .

8. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    You're right, not all of them. Just the ones that have a current-year farmer's almanac. :wink::smile2:

9. coler0kw

coler0kw New Member

State:
    ky
    CHANNELS SHOULD BE STARTING TO COME OFF NOW IN KY AND FLATHEADS SHOULD BE STARTING TO GO ON. HAVENT BEEN IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS BUT CHANNELS I CAUGHT THEN WHERE ABOUT TO POP. GONNA SET LINES NEXT WEEK. REID

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Welcome to the Boc reid.:wink:

11. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Back in the 1970's we planned our vacation for the week of the first full moon in June.We always caught channels on bank lines at night along with some gar.Bass would hit spinner baits around rocky or gravel shoreline at night,crappy hit minnows around sunken treetops.About the only thing I remember catching in the daytime were bluegill.
    Jake

12. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    All the seventies...the time of am radio,bachman turner overdrive,and station wagons! The good ole days!:wink:

13. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have heard that channels are easily caught while spawning tight to brucshy banks. Not sure if this is true but I am thinking I will try this theory out on Sunday. Not sure what channels eat for bait as I generally target blues and flats....maybe chicken livers?

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have a friend that uses only chicken liver and catches a lot of fish. Lots of small ones too. I think if you're looking for number it's great for bait,if you're looking for size I think cut bait is the way to go.

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Channels will eat the same things as blues and flats as long as they can fit them in their mouths. I tear em up on cut shad, shrimp and chicken liver in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. I hear people have good luck on stink baits and stuff but I stick with those three myself.