Catfish spawn in ponds?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Curly, May 30, 2006.

1. Curly

Curly New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that catfish rarely reproduce in farm ponds. Is this correct?.....i think it was on the ODNR website. If its true i gotta tell my buddy. He has a pond with some nice cats in it, we need them to stay, so might need to put more in?

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yup they need something to spawn in. you can make spawning boxes,i think i seen pics in the library on this subject.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I no people who place 55 gallon drums in lakes to amke spawning sites ffor catfish.

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    2-5 gal buckets with the ends cut out and then joined fer Channels and what Flathunter said only l o n g e r fer the Yellows.

5. Curly

Curly New Member

State:
    OHIO
    You guys are great, thanks! I'm on the case. There have been 3 chanells over 30 inches pulled out of this pond. I caught a 3 pound and a four pound last weekend......of course i put them back....but no.......some other people keep them. I told him....no more of that crap.....keeeeepppppp them cats in there....lol.....thanks again. Of course....should a certain number of fish be pulled out to allow the 3 pounders to get bigger?

6. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    good friend has 55 gallon drums in his pond aka lake at home for catfish spawning....