Catfish....Something other than fishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nuthinlikeacat, Sep 15, 2005.

1. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Just wanted to post something that might be of interest. Up here in MN, we have been having trouble in our area lakes being overpopulated by bullheads, carp, and bowfins. My hometown consists of over 25 lakes in a 20 mile radius. The area lakes are definitely over run by bullheads.

A few years ago, the DNR did a test by letting some catfish go in an area lake to see what whould happen. 5 years later, this lake is quietly becoming a great fishing lake. While bowfins are still abundant, the bullhead and carp population has dropped dramatically enough to where you can actually fish on the bottom with live bait for walleyes withought constantly catching bullheads.

I don't know if this is something that has been done for years around the states, or if Minnesota is one of the pioneers in doing this.
    What do you fellow brothers think of this?

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I think in most states you have catfish in just about all waters. I'm sure they help keep the bullheads and carp in check some.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Flatheads keeps those bullheads and carp in check.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
  5. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I noticed that problem when on vacation last year. We were on Gull lake by Tenstrike in Beltrami County. We decided to go down on the docks after dark and use lighted floats with 2-3in minnows for Northern and Walleye(we hoped). After the 10th Bullhead in 10 minnows we gave up. These suckers were 1-1.5 lbs apiece. I even tossed right into the weed beds hoping to get away from the little turkeys with no luck.

The gentelman who owns the resort said they(the DNR) put in traps every year and pull a 1/2 ton of Bullhead out, but it doesn't seem to put a dent in the population. The lake is deep enough for flatties to live in the winter, but the DNR won't put them in.

Ray

6. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Yeah... the sad thing about that is I remember 10 years ago you couldnt find a bullhead around there, now adays its full of them. I don't know why the DNR doesnt try this experiment on other lakes. Oh well, at least I have no shortage of bait for flatties :D

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Another way to get rid of bullheads is to clean the water up. Bullheads can take more toxic water then other fish. You clean the water, and the other fish come back and start to run the bullheads out of town. Also it's not always wise to start stocking fish into a lake or pond to take care of a problem. Flatheads can eat a ton of fish.

8. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

RAIN MAN 4U2
    if the dnr wont stock the lake you can probably find some fishing friends
    to help you take the burden off the dnr. sometimes you just have to do
    what you think is best to solve a problem. :cool:
    CAPT.KIRK

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You may think its best and go ahead and start stocking lakes with fish that the DNR don't wont in there. Then again you can start breaking laws. Some states have laws about transfering fish and putting them into lakes. Sure it might start off helping but your end result might just be all F up. There are just so many cases across the US where the DNR has put non-native fish into waters and pretty much made the native fish extinct.

10. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I agree with ya crazy on the end result being all f'd up. It's illegal to do that here in MN, so i'll just let the DNR worry about the problem.

Does anyone know how these fish( bullheads) are getting into these lakes? Alot of the lakes have no inlets...creeks, rivers, drainage ditches, nor a river nearby that floods. It was a southern MN thing, now they are gradually taking over all the lakes in MN. Some lakes they bite faster than sunfish!

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    A lot of species transfer is done through dumping live bait back in the water. Maybe someone was using some live bullheads for bait and a couple got away. Or DNR put them in to eat some kind of pest and isn't telling....lol