Catfish Skinners

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by STUMPKNOCKER, Jul 2, 2006.

1. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What ever happend to the old time catfish skinners ,do they even make them anymore? wish i could find my grandaddys old pair.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I gave up on skinners a long time ago. I just cut the fillets off the fish then use an electris fillet knife to remove the skin. For me this is easier and faster.

3. frostycold1

frostycold1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm with you . Nothing beats an electric knife. Can filet a mess of fish in nothin flat.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Electric knife is the way to go. My grandpa also had an old pair of the skinners.

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I got mine from Walmart a long time ago. I reckon they still sell them. I don't use mine anymore, I just filet all my fish. it's much faster that way..

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Look for "Hoof Nippers" under "Farriers equipment" for the old fashion "Catfish Skinners'.You can often find them Used and cheap at "Flea Markets." If they are too sharp they will cut the skin instead of Grasping it.You can dull the edge a little with a small whet stone and they will grip.Many of the old ones that were hardened when tempered,resist dulling with a file.They came in large two handed and small one handed sizes for fine trimming of everything from a goats hoofs on up.You want the small.You can also look in tools as they make a pair of end nipper pliers that work fine when dulled.Industrial insulators use them for twisting and nipping wire while installing certain types of insulation and covers.peewee-williams

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bass Pro still has them in the big store.

8. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I got a pair from walmart and have had others, but cant find the old ones that were heavier metal and actually worked, like everything else they dont make them like they used too. pee wee i will try them hoof trimmers out, thanks.

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Peewee, That is exactly what I grew up using. We looked high and low after Daddy died and never found them. I sure wanted them just because they were his.

ST

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    For you guys that use the electric filet knife - What brand works the best for you?

11. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    come on John...try the fillet thang...you WILL never turn back man

peace
    robert

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I use the one from Walmart. I think it is American Angler or something like that?

ST

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have the Mister twister and American Angler corded and one thats cordless its good if your not cleaning a bunch of fish.

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Wal-mart sells catfish skinners. They're not very expensive at all. The box looks real simple, like the brand has been around for a while.

15. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey guys, I'm kinda new here, been just hanging out and reading. But I have to agree with the guys with the electric fillet knives. I tried one for the first time,last night. I can't believe how easy it made it. There is a good post in the library on how to use an electric knife to skin them. I doubt I'll use my pliers much from now on. :big_smile:

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The few fish I keep I still skin, but EVERYONE I know tells me that the electric fillet knife is the way to go.

Looks like curiosity will get me and I will have to buy one.

17. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the info. I have meaning to get a set, I'm just not sure on the brand or whether or not to go with a cordless model. I cook the small ones whole and will only be filleting the larger ones (over 3 lbs or so). I have been known to catch 15-30 on a good night and was afraid the cordless wouldn't make it through them all.

18. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I have a pair of Catfish skinners, but it looks like I may try a switch to an electric fillet knife. Can anyone say Birthday present :big_smile:

SudDawg

19. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    My birthday isn't until Jan...I think I'll buy my wife one for her b-day next week.

20. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Say Stumpknocker I say a nice pair on ebay They were 19$ but looked really top notch I have a pair made from cast iron that I bought from Catfish connection years ago they are top notch at about the same price they were called Pro skinners. the horse nipper Idea sounds like a good way to go

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING