Catfish size in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by MON RIVER RAT, May 31, 2007.

1. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    What size channel cat would be considered big in pennsylvania. Also how bout flathead size.

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to the BOC Aaron! Here's a link to the state record fish in PA. Most catfishermen are convinced that there are much bigger fish out there and I don't doubt it. Good luck in your search for them. :smile2:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/strecord.htm

3. auctionman

auctionman New Member

State:
    pa
    Hello Mon River Rat and Eithne,

Just signed on last week. Glad to see some local catfish seakers. I'm from Mt. Pleasant and enjoy fishing the Mon. Had a boat docked at Green Cove for a while. Always looking for fishing buddies. Wife won't fish at night. Any locals can PM me .

Thanks,
    George

4. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to the BOC, George. :big_smile:

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Aaron - The current Flathead record is 48 lbs. 6 oz.. Now as far as what is considered big I quess thats up to the individual. I took a few pics to work recently of some Flattys that I caught this past month. They ranged from 29" up to 34" and my coworkers were amazed and thought they were huge! Personally I feel any Cat over 25" is nice, over 30" is real nice, over 35" is a super fish and over 40" a monster! Now this is just my humble opinion!:smile2:

6. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I would agree with Scott anything over 35" is a super nice fish!

7. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the BOC.As far as big fish channels 10 pounds and above and flatheads 20 pounds and above are nice to me.

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    i agree on this scale. lol! If i catch anything over 30inches i consider it to be a big fish.

9. auctionman

auctionman New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks Mon River Rat and Catchinghogs. Can't PM yet. Don't have required posts. Will get back ASAP. Posted email but it was removed. Guess certain rules apply.

Good catchin',
    George

10. Brett2

Brett2 Guest

above 10 lbs for channel and above 20 lbs for flathead in my area.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hi I fish in philadelphia I agree with most of the posters anything over ten for a channel is considered big to me. Five to six pounds is the norm though. Of course they are bigger fish out there. I have seen some strange things lurking in the delaware.

12. walleye086

walleye086 New Member

State:
    PA
    It's feel it's up to the individual. In years past anything over 15lbs was picture worthy. This year I have only taken pictures of two fish. 28_2 and 25_8.

I don't catch many channels. The ones I do catch are usually nicer than the average size because I catch them accidently while flathunting.

13. cattyshack

cattyshack New Member

State:
    pa
    welcome to the BOC George

14. auctionman

auctionman New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks Justin. Good luck fishing. Keep in touch.
    George

15. gerbjello

gerbjello New Member

State:
    york, pa
    I have caught some nice flaties but am still wating for the one really big one. Maybe in a couple of years the flaties will be bigger in the susky but who knows with the game comm trying to control the population of flatheads on the river. i think thay have there work cut for them because there are alot more flatheads in the river than they think. I just wish we had the same problem around here with deer.

16. cam65096

cam65096 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Anything over 10 lbs is a good fish no matter what your fishing!