Catfish Setups

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Foreverdark, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am kinda curious as to what y'all fish with. Rods, reels, line and hooks.

I don't have a ton of money, got kids so they get money spent on them first and foremost, but my MAIN setup is as follows:

Abu Garcia 6000
    20lb BigGame
    Concord 6ft medium Casting (yes, I know. Not a great Cat rod)
    Hooks, usualy Matzuo Model 123 Up-Eye Circle Hooks

Yeah, not the best type of setup, the 6000 is an awesome reel though (by far my fav reel). But, still has caught me some 30 - 35lb fish :D

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Nothing wrong with that set up. Just add to it as you can.
    Welcome to the BOC

If you have yard sales in you area you might check them for equipment, I have found some great buys at yard and garage sales.

I use 8' Hvy action Meathunter rods w/ Abu 7000 on my boat and on bank or at the dam I use 14' Custom made Fenwicks w/ Abu 7000
    Mono line and hooks from Wild Wolf Products

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have a few set ups .

My favorite is an Abu 5000 winch on a 7'6" Abu black max rod , strung up with 50 pound power pro .

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steven there is nothing wrong with your set up. I use ABU equipment and Berkley Big Game mono line, with plenty of success. I'm not familiar with your rod so I can't comment on it. Add to your fishing equipment as your budget allows. The most important item is to spend quality time on the water .

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc!! shane

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have several set ups ........they didndt come over night...most are penns on various rods been collecting fer awhile

7. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not sure why that showed as a link. I just went and got the name for the hooks and it showed that way. Anyway, I forgot to mention that I use those hooks because a guy gave me a bunch of em fall of '07. I traditionally use regular Matzuo worm hooks. Going to start using more circle hooks and the like, thinking of starting on Gamagatsu's. Anyone use Gama's? What's your thoughts on em?

8. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use the Bass Pro Shop Catbuster spinning rod and reel combo, with 50# Spiderwire and 4/0 hooks. I know it's not the "norm" but these combos are very strong and reliable, only cost about $60, and I have never had any kind of problems with them. I have four kids of my own and two step kids, so I'm like you...have to be able to have poles for everyone! You can see them in some of my pictures. My pole holders are crude but effective also. Piece of bed frame angle iron, metal rod tack welded to it, and 3 inch pvc pipe held on by hose clamps (some with duct tape...LOL!).

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    zepco hawg seeker!!only 40.00 and very dependable, i've had mine for two seasons now and have caught 15-52lb. fish on it!!still problem free!!

10. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    rods are ugly stick and american spirits 7' 6500 reels with bait clicker berkley big game 30# and a gama o 10/0 J hooks 3 to 4 oz bank sinkers----oh yeah and welcome to the boc

11. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Baitcasters.....Abu Garcia 6501 C3......Abu Garcia 6601 C4 two of them......Shimano Calcutta 400B....Okuma Classic Pro.....Abu Garcia from 1972.....and 7-10 spinning reels from Shimano, Pflueger, Pinnacle, and Diawa....

I swap these between.....4 homemade 7' one piece Eglass rods, Cabelas King Kat and King Kat Pros.....bunch of "cheapy" HT spinning rods, three homemade graphite spinning rods, and a few $30-$50 graphite spinning rods that I haven't broken yet......

most of my stuff has 40-80# Power Pro and 4-6-10 pound Berkley Trilene XL

I also have a few Pflueger fly rods/reels and a few Cabelas and Browning pack rods.

My absolute favorite catfishing setup is my 7' Cabelas King Kat spinning reel with a Shimano Sedona 4000 FA spinning reel rigged with 40# yellow Power Pro....I can cast this a zillion yards.....

12. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Any abu is going to be a good start to a setup, it's just as the number goes down (7000 6000 5000) the line capacity drops, so you either have to use less of the preferred hawg seeking test or switch to thinner line. The 6000 should hold plenty of 30lb test for a decent cast. As for the rod, I have no idea what kind it is that you're using but i can say that there is an affordable, quality rod out there. Myself and a few of the other guys i fish with have put shakespeare sturdy stiks to the test of strength and time. For 18 bucks you cannot find a better rod unless you get lucky at a garage sale or craigslist.
    The first two poles I grab when I head out are...
    2 6500c3 garcias with power handles installed
    2 7ft medium action shakespeare sturdy stiks
    25lb berkley big game mono
    8/0 gamakatsu circles
    With these I can cast a country mile according to Looking4moby lol.

13. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    My main set ups are exactly what Marcus (Ahquabi_Master) describes. Abu Garcia 6500 C3's on 7' Sturdy sticks, I use Stren 25lb or Big Game 25lb and have caught many fish in the 30+lb range.

Fishing log jams - I run 2 Penn 309's for the winching power with big game 45lb on 2 7 ft Game fish rods.

To Cast a Country Mile - 14' Shakespear Alpha Rod (35.00 on Craigslist), a Quantum Optix 60 reel (on sale 15.00 @ Walmart) and I have 30lb Power Pro on it to up my line capacity.

Those are my primary 5, there are a bunch of others, but not usually my go to, I have rods for every situation :wink:

14. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have only 2 setups right now and it took me 2 years to get them because I to have a kid.

catmax baitcaster, 7ft catmaxx med-hev rod, 30lb braid. I use this setup alot because I do alot of bank fishing on the tributaries off the mo river works great for channels.

Abu garcia 6500, 7-6 catmaxx med-hev rod, 65lb braid. I love this set up, but so far haven't used it much I have caught some nice fish with it but if you are on the move walking the banks it can be difficult to transport, and over kill for channels.

15. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Overkill is by far more prefered than underkill :D

I love the sound of some of these setups, I am going to start workin heavy here. I wanna get into som flathead fishin this year or next.

16. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    sounds like you've got the gear all you need is a real lively bait and a good fishin spot. Nothin wrong w/ catching a big fish on a light setup, just makes you appreciate the size of the fight bringing em in that much better. Dont hold off man next year is still aways away grab them poles and get your butt down to the river:smile2: Oh and good luck bro

17. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My new favorite toy is an Abu Garcia 7000iC3 with 25# Big Game on an 8' Ugly Stick. Can't wait to hook into a monster with it.

Other than that, my gear is pretty cheap - a Zebco 808 with 7' rod combo with 30# Berkley Big Cat line (I'm actually beginning to really dislike this reel. The line is always hanging up inside.) I also have a $60 Quantum Tenacity AP300t (aka Satan :smile2:) low-profile baitcaster/6' rod combo with 20# Spiderwire braid that I'll throw in when nothing seems to be biting.

18. mudd

mudd Member

State:
    iowa
    i have some shakespheare tidewaters on power tip rods and glow sticks,cple 6600 bcx's on ugly sticks and cpl 7000's on masters rods.seem to do just fine for any fishing i do.

19. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    my fav setup is a shakespeare tiger 7' med hvy with a abu 6600c4 and 30 pound test mono, and always khale hooks

20. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    my favorite set up is a okuma halogen bait casting rod,8'6" with matching reel,i use berkley 25# big cat with a 4/0 sickle hook and a 1 1/4 oz no roll,thats for cats up to 20# or so.for big cats i use a 6' solid glass st croix casting rod with a penn 209.has 50# calcutta mono,i use a 3-6 oz no roll and a 10/0 ss mustad hook.i have lots of other rods i use also but those are my favorites