Catfish set-ups

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishcrzy, Sep 17, 2007.

1. catfishcrzy

catfishcrzy New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    i catfish like once a week and i havent figured out a good catfish set-up(reel and rod) also ive seen a couple people use slip sinkers and i really dont get how to use them so any info would help.. thx

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Egg slip sinkers can be found at your local tackle shop or walmart. I have a few catfish combos one that I found for 20 dollars at walmart that has done ok and a king cat combo with an eagle claw reel which is my go to rod. The reel is from catfish connection and the rod is from cabelas.

Hope this helps

Tom

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    A basic set up is: main line, slip egg sinker, orange plastic bead, swivel, leader, and your hook. There are many ways to rig up but this ( Carolina rig )gives you a idea to go by. I use this method or I use slip floats.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A lot depends on the type of water you are fishing (lake or river etc.). It also depends on the size of Catfish you could potentially catch in your stretch of waters.

Its a whole lot different reeling in a 50+ lb Catfish compared to a 5 lb eater channel cat.

More info would be helpful.

Good Luck regardless.

5. catfishcrzy

catfishcrzy New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    thx alot every body for the help and i usually fish under a dam on a river or in the fast current on the wisconsin river.

6. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Nick, I agree with what Darryl said. You need to base your rod and reels and your tackle on what you are trying to catch. Try to base it on whats the biggest potential cats the river can produce. Good luck brother!!:big_smile:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If you're fishing from the bank near a dam you probably want a long casting rod (I've seen 10 and 12 footers used, but 8 or 9 foot is probably more normal) to help you get some distance on your casts, matched with a good baitcasting reel like an Abu 7000 or a Penn that will hold lots of heavy test line, cast smoothly with good distance, and have enough guts to reel in your pig when you get a hook in him. Somebody who knows more about it than me (not hard to do:wink:) will post up here shortly and give you a better answer. Good luck!

Branden