Catfish senses

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by zappaf19, Jan 31, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Catfish senses
    There are 2,200 types of cats they are about 8% of the fish on earth. But how does a cat taste its food? A 6” cat has a ¼ million taste buds on its body! The mouth and gills are packed with taste buds and the body is covered with sensors the whole body, whiskers, fins, back, belly, sides and tail. It can literally taste its food laying on it. Some call the catfish a swimming tongue. The smelling ability is as good as it’s tasting abilities
    Catfish can smell some compounds at 1 part to 10 billon parts of water. According to Dr. Capri of Louisiana State says and I quote “Most anglers think that a horrid smelling bait is the best bait to use. But that is crazy. He goes on to say, “What stinks to us does not mean it stinks to a cat. You smell chemicals volatilized to the air, but animals living in water can’t detect them. They detect chemical compounds in the water. What you smell the fish can’t.” (End quote)
    Lets touch on the cat’s ability to hear. It does not need ears because the body is the same density as the water the way they hear is in the swim bladder and inner ear. As vibration travel thru water the organs pick it up. The bladder then picks up the vibes and amplifying the vibration. And sending them to the small bones in the ear. Fish like bas, trout etc hear at about20 to 1000 cycles per sec. A cat can hear up to 13,000 cycles per sec. The Chinese use the catfish to detect earthquakes days in advance.
    Touch and sight are excellent as well. The eyes of channel cats are used in research for human vision. Since the cat has no scales the sense of touch is heightened. The smooth skin is very sensitive. If they rub up against fishing line they might leave because it would be a touch that they are not use to.
    Cats also have a sense that sharks have. Electroeception this allows cats to find food without it seeing it or smelling it. The electrorception are located on the head. The cat has to be very close to its prey for these to work.
    Now lets see what some of the turn offs are for catfish. Chemicals on our hands like gasoline, sunscreen, cigarettes, bug spray etc. Also a shadow moving across the water. Birds are a big one for cats. That might be a reason we catch more cats at night.
    I hope this has enlightened some of you about how cats work. I have not typed this much in years!
    Enjoy
    Bill

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great post :thumbsup:

3. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Outstanding job, thanks very much!

4. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Great info,thanks bro!

5. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    With all of a catfishes sensors and there ability to detect blood and other things from such a long distance it makes me wonder why it's still difficult to locate them sometimes. I guess maybe they just don't want what I have to offer, don't feel like swimming that far to get it or if we leave more undesirable odors on our bait than we think. I also wander about some of the "turn offs" though like cigaret smoke. I smoke and my buddy doesn't yet I'll will often outfish him.:confused: Just some food for thought. Great post by the way.

6. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good post. Interesting.

7. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Great thread, thanks.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That did take awhile to type! My fingers don't move like they use to! LOL
    I think I am going to do a section on habitat. Sooooo stay tuned.
    Bill

9. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Great post hoss. Yuppers they are basicly one large swimming tongue.

10. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Good post!

One of my cat fishing books calls them swimming tung.

11. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    We must have been reading the same book Coloman. LOL

12. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Lotsa thinking material there, and it's a good post. I wonder about that sense of touch. I don't doubt it as fact, but I do wonder about their response to what they touch. If they moved away bacause a thing didn't feel natural, how did all those old snag lines work? And the throats of hoop nets? And plastic culverts as nests?

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    What I did was look on the net. I found this study on cats

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/gf_aa076502a/

I cut and pasted it and it was removed. Thats because I took someones study and broke a copywrite law. I do not blame anyone for removing my cut and paste job. They were on there feet and I was a dumba**. there is more info at that sight. It is a good read.
    Bill

14. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

15. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    great post, sure gets you thinking, keep em coming.

The chemoreception of fish is an interesting subject