Catfish Selective Harvest

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by wolfman, Nov 29, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    As more and more anglers join the catfishing fraternity, it becomes increasingly important for us to be conservation-minded anglers. If we don’t, we may lose many of the outstanding trophy fisheries that now exist. But that doesn’t mean every catfish has to be released. If harvested wisely, there should be plenty of catfish to keep and eat. It’s important, however, that we’re selective about our harvest.

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree thats my motto catch and release catch and release and catch again!! Dont kill the hawgs!!!!

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great post! Thanks for bringing it back up. I agree 100%!!!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the reminder. I totally agree.

5. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I appreciate people who take the time to remind us to use common sense. Harvesting a few fish for the table will always be available to sport anglers if we use selective harvest and common sense. Thanks for reminding us.

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I release ALL catfish into Lake Crisco.

:hell_boy:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Good for you! I'll think of all the hours of my life I've spent NOT cleaning fish that you have:smile2:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I also practice 'selective'harvest. Here in New Mexico In the local lake where I do 90%of my fishing the main focus is BASS and Walleye,I feel there have been WAY too many cats harvested in the smaller sizes,Lots of 4-10 lbrs caught all the time but a TON of 1/2 -2 lbrs taken ,I wish they would put min.restrictions on em here an let some of those 'baby's'grow up . I'd much rather clean 2 5lbrs than 10 1lbrs.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    When I first started fishing I keep what ever I caught,now I'm luck if I keep anything.If catch 1-2 fish they go back in the water.Maybe once in awhile I'll keep a few for eating but most times they just swim away.Personally far as eating I'd rather eat a 2-3 lb er than a 10#er and above.Much better flavor.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Very good point, I normaly keep very little of what I catch. Sometimes out at cheatham dam you will see people keep everything they pull in, if you have been their you know what I mean. You gotta wonder, do these people even know where the fish come from its not an endless supply.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    While I dont speak for ALL of my fellow Missouri and Gateway Cats members, most of us release every fish, and the rest of us roughly use 10 pounds as a benchmark. Over 10 pounds they release the fish unharmed to the water, under 10 for the occasional fish fry or gathering they might have. Thats good, quality Selective Harvest.

12. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Like Cuz said I realese all fish over 10....... Actually I think I have released all fish caught in the last 3 years...... The lil lady likes to catch the eaters at a stocked pond here by the house...... So I can have my cake and eat it too. :wink:

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats the same bench mark me and Big Sam have adopted. We don't try to force that down anyones throat but we do try to explain to people why we have started doing this. Some of the Pole Benders have come around and adopted this also. But bottom line it is each individuals call on what they decide for themselves as long as they are within their states guidelines. As I have posted before let your conscious be your guide.

14. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I release everything.:big_smile:

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    good post thanx !!!

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I RELEASE 100% OF MY CATFISH FROM THE SCHUYLKILL RIVER, PA

There is nothing wrong with the tradition of catching, harvesting, and eating fish. Just do it conservatively.

Besides, those big old catfish taste like river bottom. Eat the young-little ones:smile2:!

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    It is particularly pleasing to me as an old member to see this thread progress without one discordant note.:big_smile::roll_eyes:BACK IN THE DAY fisticuffs (electronic)would usually ensue.Reasonable, sane,mature judgement need be applied to your local conditions and waters.How many times have I said CPR is NOT a religion but a management technique?????:wink:Might not even be good for your local waters,depending on a lot of factors.Selective harvest is something that we can all agree provides a viable alternative to releasing everything.Old folks ,myself included tend to get lazier as time goes by, so we practice total release to avoid all that fish cleaning hassle.Thats perfectly OK,kind of an evolutionary,voluntary release program for the elderly.:big_smile::smile2:As long as you are thinking about and evaluating the requirements that will best manage your local waters I dont care what technique you use!!!!:wink:And if you young whippersnappers have any extra filets ,invite an old timer over for dinner.HAVE FORK WILL TRAVEL!!!!:big_smile::crazy::smile2:

18. FishinPhil

FishinPhil New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I release almost everything I catch. My wife doesn't like fish, and it is a real pain in the butt to clean and cook fish for just one person. My only exception is when I go salmon fishing in the fall. Most of those fish are going to die after they spawn, and they taste sooooo good after they come out of the smoker.

19. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Its very important to remember not just "CPR", because selective harvest is good for all! I was of the mind set, you catch it, you keep it, but I've come around to releasing all big fish. If you release everything, you'll have stunted growth among the fish. Just look at American Horse Lake... You can catch bass there all day long, but they are all less than a pound, with a few over a pound. What happened? That lake is now the best BLUEGILL lake in Oklahoma! The key is selective harvest!