Catfish Schooling

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 27, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Why is it that in rivers big cats seem to be more solitary than in large lakes where they may school even when bigger?

2. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Small to medium channel cats definitely school feed at night. We fish in about 2 feet of water in a small channel entrance of a large river, and 90% of the time (night time only, opposite during the day time) the bites come all at once, 2-3 fish/bites at a time, then none for a while.

There are also flatheads in the river, none real big - but we have never had multiple flatheads one at once, any size.

3. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    We have had waves of flatheads and channels hit like that. When we fish from the boat we`ll pull up on a spot and catch fish steady for an hour or two and then nothing, then we move and try to find more.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    we seem to do really well from 7pm to 11 pm then slows or dead stops till about 12am or 1 am .

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    after a good rain i have found schools of channels at the creek mouths and dams but as far as flaties dont know

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ahh your wrong I have gotten into schooling fish on rivers before. It's not on common to catch a fish and then get another one right away. I find that if there's one around there's more.

7. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I've gotten into some good schools of channels before. Usually when I'm into them heavy they usually run all the same size 15 to 20 inches.
    I've seen channels school up in 8 to 10 foot of water with over 100 fish in the school. They're usually suspended off the bottom.
    The bigger channels are often in the deepest pools around cover in the daytime.