Catfish Safari question

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Jan 15, 2008.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    JUST WONDERING HOW CAT SAFARI RODS COMPARE TO OTHER BIG NAME CAFISH RODS, HOW ARE THEY ANY BETTER. OR ARE THEY?

2. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    They are very well built rods designed by catfishermen for catfishermen. It is the Highest quality rod for the money if you can't spend the money to have one custom built

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Comparison to an Ugly Stik Tiger Rod MH 2202 to Catfish Safari River Rod

Bend - The most important difference is the “bend” characteristics. The Tiger rod gets progressively stiffer, to the point that the lower half doesn’t bend much, if any. Basically the working length of the 7’ Tiger rod is only about 3 feet when setting the hook or fighting a fish. The Catfish Safari rod is stronger in the tip, with a more gradual transition toward the handle, and you end up with about 5 feet of working length when fighting a fish. Both rods are hugely strong – it’s the bend “shape” that is different. I think the characteristics of the Catfish Safari are an advantage because it will help keep tension on the line when fighting and landing a fish, and it gives a more linear response to a big fish that suddenly takes a run vs the rapid transition to “broomstick” on the Tiger.

Casting - The stronger tip in the Catfish Safari rod handles bigger casting weights – sinkers of 10oz or bigger or big baits – better than the Tiger. Tigers are tough rods, but feels pretty wimpy when tossing something like a 2lb carp head or an 11” live goldeye – the Catfish Safari rod does a lot better.

Guides – I’ve replaced tips on 2 of my Tiger rods due to line wear. They seem to be stainless coated with a softer metal on the inside, while the Catfish Safari are solid stainless steel.

Handle - The cord handle on the Catfish Safari is a nice touch.... I personally like it better than foam. It should also hold up better and be easier to replace if it does start to wear. The cord on the Catfish Safari also gives it a bit smaller diameter, so it will fit into some rod holders that the foam on the Tiger is a little too big for.

Fit and finish – both rods are pretty flawless and well finished.

Warranty – Catfish Safari offers a little better warranty, but I really don’t think you will need it for either rod.

Catfish Safari is made in the USA vs the Tiger made in China.

Catfish Safari is also a catfish specific product, while the Tiger rod has a picture of a Tuna on the handle.

Both are very good catfish rods that will land the majority of fish that you hook into, but I have to give the advantage to Catfish Safari. It’s a better product for catfishing, and purchasing from them supports a US manufacturer, a BOC sponsor, and catfishing in general. The owner, Steve Brown, is also a great participant on our site – where is Shakespeare?

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Very well said... I will cheat and say...

See above. :wink:

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't think it could be said any better.

6. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I just bought 2 CS lake rods. Though I haven't got to use them yet... I just love the parabolic bend, the wrapped handle, and the stainless eyes. The stainless eyes seem to be very, very, very, very strong. I'm looking forward to many years with these rods. And I plan on getting some more. Steve's a good guy too.

7. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    How does the Safari compare to a Surge Elite?

8. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio

Im gonna cheat too. I have a set of steve's rods they are awesome. Gary couldn't have said it any better. The rods are well worth there money and i don't think you will find a better built rod for the money.:wink:

9. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    While we are on the subject, can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Steve's lake rod and the flathead rod besides length, wrap color, and handle color. I plan on getting 2 soon and can't decide which model to get.

Joe

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The flathead rod is 8 foot and the lake rod is the same rod except 6 inches are cut off the butt section of the flathead rod. That is the only real difference so the flathead rod is going to be a little stiffer in the back end.

11. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I do not have one yet, but I will buy three when I can aford it. I was at the sportsman show last weekend where they gave me a demonstration of it. One guy told me to hold the rod like I was fighting a fish. He then bent the rod completely over and started to tug on it. It was all I could do to hold on. I had to tell the guy that, that was enough. Like I said when I can afford it I will buy three.

12. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Here's a picture of a Tiger rod Next to a Catfish Safari Flathead rod taken around dusk with the camera on flash. I think the CS rod will be easier to see at night

Attached Files:

13. Douglas Foster

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Here's a couple without camera flash

Attached Files:

14. Douglas Foster

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    Here's a couple of more pictures. The last ones came out kind of small. I'm still trying to figure out this size thing.:confused2:

Attached Files:

15. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I'm thinking about getting a couple of these rods but I still have a question. I've always used rods with a trigger and I don't think the flathead rod has one. Are they as easy to hold on to during a fight as a rod with a trigger would be?

Joe

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I never use the trigger even if the rod has one. I hold my hand above the reel when fighting a fish. You have more control of the rod that way.

17. ahab

ahab New Member

State:
    texas
    Has anyone used the spinning version of the Flathead rod Is the action (sensitive/responsive tip % full flex) the same??I posted this question earlier and go no responses :confused2:-Steve are you there? I am this (VERY) close to ordering and wish I could buy them all by-but cannot-seriously.

18. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City

I got that same demo at the sport show and I already know I will have one by the kids spring break, and another for Father's Day(that or a boat).

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The spinning rod is the same rod. Just has spinning eye's on it instead of the baitcaster style eye's.

20. cdf1961

cdf1961 New Member

State:
    va
    number 10 at last