Catfish Safari first rate

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by stlcatman, May 20, 2008.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    After the walleye trip was canceled this past weekend, Heather and I decided to go stay at Catfish Safari for a getaway. It was a great trip that I would recomend to any couple, family or group of guys who want to catch some fish and eat like kings. We ended up catching around 70 blue cats and heather got her PB at 28 lbs. That fish hit and started screaming drag, I had to help get it out of the holder but she faught it all by herself to the boat and I never turned the handle once. She was so proud that she even slimed herself to let me take a picture. I ended up catching one 12 1/2 a 12 and a few around 10 lbs.
    We got to go to the Missouri gathering and meet a bunch of BOC'ers and had a blast. Michael Jake was there and we found out that Heather had the big fish of the gathering but she wasn't a BOC member yet so she didn't win it. After the gathering she decided to join and will be on here with her new avatar as soon as she gets accepted.
    For anyone who is looking for a great trip for the price that you could stay in a holiday inn; you can get a room at Steve's with a boat dock and a breakfast every morning that will make you wanna slap your mamma it's so good. He helped me with bait every day, told me areas to fish and even let me take the new pro cat out for a day to do some fishing. It drives like a car and I have decided that no matter what it takes I am going to have to have one.
    Here are a couple of pictures of Heather's new PB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good stuff, Ryan. Glad you guys had a good time, Tell Heather congrats on the new PB. Steve sure does know how to take care of his guests, don't he!:wink:

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    WTG Ryan, Congrats to Heather on her new PB. It sounds like you & Heather had a good time.

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    We had a blast and for staying with him again I got a new fish fryer a coat and a new tekota reel. Gary I will let you borrow them whenever you want.:wink::smile2: Gary left his fish fryer and coat down there and I don't know what happened with the tekota but I guess I lost it or mis-placed it onto one of my rods. Just let me know when you want that stuff or I can bring it to the meeting on the 31st.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Catfish Safari sure the heck is a good deal for a family getaway. We booked a guided trip for July already with a nights stay in the lodging. Can't wait for that trip.

Just lodging alone and bringing your own boat is a cool trip too!

Steve and Tina are GREAT hosts!

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    WooHOOOOO, Congrats Heather, aka "Mrs Linus" on a new Personal Best Blue Cat. Thanks for the write up Ryan. Sounds like you guys had a great trip. I think I'll take Lisa and the kids down to Steves. Steve runs a first rate guiding business and Bed and Breakfast for sure. Thanks to Catfish Safari and Steve Brown for helping out some Gateway Folks.

Congratulations Heather.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Do what??????:smile2:

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Are you sure it isn't my coat? A green and white, insulated windbreaker kind of thing?

I seem to have not seen mine since our trip there.

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    So, the way I read the story, Heather caught the biggest fish of the day. Similar to what happened when I fished with Ryanus. Or should I say Dinkanus??? Congrats Heather. You go girl.

10. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO

I believe Cuz has that right now. It was cold out and my stuff didn't fit his tall a@@. Look at it this way, at least you didn't loose it off the dock like you thought.

Bob, you it doesn't matter if that fish was bigger it was still a 16 lb dink.:smile2: I think that 30 lb boga grip sticks when you get close to maxing it out. That fish looked bigger than 28 to me but I was in too big of a hurry to get out the coffee scale.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yeah, I believe the mysterious Skipeye Coat is not in the Cuz Truck :smile2: Sure saved my butt from freezin to death on the 40 mile run last week. Thx Skippy :smile2:

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We caught some bait in front of Steves place. It's a sweet spot and him and Tina are very nice people. I hope Cher has already placed the order for my rods.:wink:
    Congrats Heather and it was very nice meeting you and Ryan. I was skeered you would top your previous PB sat. nite, as it seems YOU are the fisherwoman in the boat. Again congrats.:wink:

13. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Linus, how does tonight or tomorrow night sound. I'm leaving Thursday for my vacation, and I might just need those items!:smile2::wink:

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Man that sounds like a fine trip. I keep telling myself i need to make that trip over there. Congrats on the personal best. that looks like one fine catfish.:big_smile:

15. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    John it was great meeting you down there. We couldn't find any more big fish but had a blast wearing out the smaller ones. I forgot to mention that I started out using stinger hooks down there and had to switch because of all the action. Before I did though we caught two fish on one line with stinger hooks. One was about 4 lbs and the other about 1 lb. They are going nuts down there right now.

Gary any time you want to get that stuff just let me know. I was contemplating going fishing tonight but need to find some motivation. Just give me a call when you get off work.

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Well, in fact is was my raincoat top and pants that blew off the dock along with Gary's chair so those are MIA.

Cuz, sorry that my coat was covered in Catfish Slime, and glad it kept you warm. Bring it to the meeting please.

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Oh Man!! What a trip!!! Congrats Heather on beating the socks off of Ryan! :smile2::smile2:

We need to get a couple trucks and boats together and head that way some weekend, it sure sounds like a good time.

Good job Ryan, I'll rep ya after I spread the love around a bit!

18. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    We definately need to make a trip down there. Steve said that durring late summer to fall the lake has some amazing fishing. They drift fish and he said it is nothing to have all five rods burried at the same time. It sounds like winter fishing down there is really good for big fish as well. I will tell you one thing, that lake is full of blue cats and it sure is nice to not have to weed through all of the asian carp on the finder when you are searching. Something else that is coming up in October is the shootout and we have to go show those westies how to catch the big fish. I think next year it will be in our neck of the woods. I saw the type of trophy that will be on the line and it is something that we are gonna want to keep on the right side of the state. Rusty is a member who will be making the trophy and he makes a really neat catfishing trophy. I think they are going to do a Ryders cup type of deal and it should be a bunch of fun.

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    catfishsafari is definitly a trip i will make a point to make before i ship out.:big_smile: