Catfish Run (Salt Creek)

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by WaltonsMountain, Jul 22, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Going out there w/ my Dad this weekend for a little catfishin'. Anyone had any luck out there? Looking for some tips on bait and locations, etc. Thanks!

Oh yeah....great to be here! :big_smile:

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Ryan, & Good Luck fishin !!! :wink:

3. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

i hear live chubs work well.. or cut ones...i myself have been having good luck with froze chubs and blood bait. as far as i know a good place is right under the bridge off 6 just outside of ashland.. i would go for the southside.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Ryan! Glad to see another Nebraskan on board with the BOC!! A big welcome to you!! Good luck fishing!:big_smile:

5. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I heard somewhere thatt a 42# flattie was taken from there last weekend. Right over by the state park. I've used every kind of bait there and caught fish almost everytime I fished it. Good luck and welcome to the BOC

6. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I fish it all the time, with a variety of baits, but if all else fails - use nightcrawlers. I have caught LOTS of fish out of there on crawlers. Flatheads, Blues, Channels, Carp, Drum, Walleye, Bluegill, Gar, Sturgeon, even a 6lb. Wiper and a few years ago I caught a Bowfin there too! Now thats a strange fish! The water is pretty high there right now, but there is a flat just to the west of the bridge that if you can find, will get you some fish. Back in April I caught 18 Channel cats from 1-4lbs out of there in a 3 hour time span :crazy: Have also caught some Flatheads in that area on Goldfish but nothin bigger than 5lbs. Anyway...good luck, let us know how ya do, and WELCOME to the BOC!!!

7. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well, just got back and sad to say the only thing we caught was a snapping turtle (in the leg no less)... we tried just under the bridge off 6 on the north side. We couldn't seem to get to the south side as there has been some landscaping done and various trees, etc. were blocking our path. Although there is a road that leads to a campsite we never tried over there.

I did see what flat you were talking about but how do you get over there? It's a very steep bank right above the rocks and the only path I saw was through some guy's private property w/ a bunch of junk cars in the way. I'd love to find some sweet holes along this area because I do believe there could be some monsters in it. For some reason the water level actually looked alot lower to us than we remembered from 4 years ago.

We used primarily chicken liver w/ no success. We were going to pick up some nightcrawlers but couldn't find a baitshop nearby. Had 50lb braid backed by some mono and I have to say i'm really liking the stuff. Much smoother casting and you can tell how much stronger and sensitive it is! :big_smile: Also had 1oz sinker and a 6 hook I believe.

I'll definitely be going back sometime soon to be doing more investigating!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  8. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Sorry to hear you guys didn't have the best luck. I always seem to do a little better when the water is lower myself. I can usually cast to that flat when the water is a little lower as well. As far as nightcrawlers, the U-Stop in town sells them. At least they used to, I haven't been in there in awhile. I usually bring mine from Lincoln. And I don't know if he is still there but if you head north of town on the highway, there is a house on the left a few miles up the road that sells bait. I don't know how the fishing is down near the campground, I have never gone that direction. If you guys ever try it again, let me know. I'll come fish it with ya - I enjoy fishing down there! It should pick up pretty soon I would think...

9. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Did anyone else hear of that 42 lber that was caught down there?

10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i heard about it from a few ppl

11. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I heard about one, but I thought it was closer to Lincoln :confused2: I know they're in there though...

12. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    My buddy told me it was right there in the middle of town. Just before the dump site at the s**t plant. I know it sounds like a dirty place but all the fish we've caught have been pretty clean. Anyways talk to you later