Catfish rods no reel seat.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by robbor, Jun 1, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Well I sprung for a penn rod that has no reel seat from big5 after looking at them a few times. They were the only quality 8' casting rods they had and were on sale. $149 rod on sale for $55. for the penn sabre pro(graphite and glass) or $40(reg $120)sabre. They had rods with seats but all were 7' or less. I clampped an old Penn reel on and so far I do like it. The reel doesnt cast very well buy the rod is fine and the reel seems very solid, so no fish on yet to give it a real test. No reel seat does allow you to place the reel anywhere for easier casting and the corktape handles are smaller and fit reg freshwater rod holders better.

2. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I've never heard of a rod w/no reel seats, except one with a "Tennessee Handle"...Tn Handles have two bands around the rod but and you put the reel in it and tape it in place.....How did you clamp it????What are the rod specs????Dwight

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    You are absolutely right! I love those slip-ring type rod handles! If I could get any model rod with those "seatless" cork grips I would! Nuff said.

4. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    THe rod I bought was 8' med 1/2 - 3oz 20-40# It was a pro sabre its called cork tape but its a synthetic wrap.
    The 8' sabre's were med 1/2-2 and 20-40 as i recall. This is an ocean rod not an ice rod. Ive only seen ice rods and UL that has the loose rings. The reel clamps on with a clamp similar to a double strap emt clamp and 2 small carrage bolts. reels such as shimano takota come with a clamp or you can buy seperately. The thing i never liked about tiger rods are to short and they creek alot when bent when new these rods are better quality and same price.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Me too! I fished with two for many years and loved them.They are the most versatile rods that I know of when it comes to locating your reel to fit you and your style of fishing.They have been common in europe for many years.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee