Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
How about a Lund 1875 Crossover. The gunnels on it are wide enough for the Mul T Bar. Nice thing with the Mul T Bar is you can remove with one bolt if not fish and you can position them however you want.. Here are some pics. I would not use a rod holder on the sport trak. I have a couple and I don't trust them at all. That sport track isn't very sturdy when a big cat hits or you get snagged up.. Also whatever you do make sure you can raise the engine up without having to remove the rack.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How about a Lund 1875 Crossover. The gunnels on it are wide enough for the Mul T Bar. Nice thing with the Mul T Bar is you can remove with one bolt if not fish and you can position them however you want.. Here are some pics. I would not use a rod holder on the sport trak. I have a couple and I don't trust them at all. That sport track isn't very sturdy when a big cat hits or you get snagged up.. Also whatever you do make sure you can raise the engine up without having to remove the rack.

Hmm…good looking bait! The crossover seemed more geared towards split duty with the family…which is one reason I didn’t look at it closely, but it seems I overlooked that. Wonder why the gunnels are so different? Is that your boat and pics?

And thanks for verifying what I thought about the sport track rod holder holding up to large blue cats…didn’t seem like it would turn out too well

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,310 Posts
Good points! We have a house on lake Gaston..35 mikes long with lots of blues and many over 100lbs. We have a Nautique surf/wakeboard boat, so this new boat will strictly be used for fishing and nothing else.

Need a deep v as the lake can get awful rough, especially with surf boats around:). Size needs to be 17-18ft max due to size of my second boat slip and the 4000lb lift we have on it. Want walk through windshield as well. Finally, the boat will also be used for bass and crappie fishing. Want to stay at 50k max.

I’m all ears for other boat recommendations…seems like most aluminum deep v’s in this range have the same general layout from what I have seen.
As this new boat will be strictly for fishing, I would suggest you look at one without the rear seats and rear deck and has a cockpit that extends further rearward so you can be closer to the transom.
I have an Alumacraft. It has nice wide gunnels so adding Monster style rod holder mounts along the sides was easy with good access underneath for adding doubler plates. The wide gunnel also provides easy placement of a bait cutting board. My rod rack across the back allows me to fish both behind the boat and straight down over the transom as well as out to the sides. It’s high enough that I can still open the rear hatches to the battery box and storage.
You say you have trouble visualizing the set up; have you thought about checking out the weigh-ins at a few catfishing tournaments? Lots to see and learn there.

…W

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
As this new boat will be strictly for fishing, I would suggest you look at one without the rear seats and rear deck and has a cockpit that extends further rearward so you can be closer to the transom.
I have an Alumacraft. It has nice wide gunnels so adding Monster style rod holder mounts along the sides was easy with good access underneath for adding doubler plates. The wide gunnel also provides easy placement of a bait cutting board. My rod rack across the back allows me to fish both behind the boat and straight down over the transom as well as out to the sides. It’s high enough that I can still open the rear hatches to the battery box and storage.
You say you have trouble visualizing the set up; have you thought about checking out the weigh-ins at a few catfishing tournaments? Lots to see and learn there.

…W
Excellent…thanks for the additional info! Might need to broaden my search a bit! Thanks again

Ps - what model aluma craft do you have?

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,310 Posts
………. Ps - what model aluma craft do you have?
I have 195 Tournament Pro SC.
It’s a side console layout and in hindsight I wish I’d gone for a double-screen, walk through layout but I went for fishability over comfort.
It has been and continues to be a good boat but I put a lot of work into it in the beginning as I made it into a catfishing boat. During the first couple of months we owned it, my wife asked constantly why I was drilling holes, tearing out wiring and making things like rod holders on our “brand new boat”. Luckily she understood my answer of “I need to make it like I want it because they don’t come that way”. We’ve had it twenty years and I still find ways to “improve” it!!

…W

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hmm…good looking bait! The crossover seemed more geared towards split duty with the family…which is one reason I didn’t look at it closely, but it seems I overlooked that. Wonder why the gunnels are so different? Is that your boat and pics?

And thanks for verifying what I thought about the sport track rod holder holding up to large blue cats…didn’t seem like it would turn out too well
Yes that is my boat. Bought it since it was good for split duty. Salesman said they actually sell alot of them to retired guys who will never take anyone skiing on it. Reason is they have more storage room in them than some of the others. With it being a split duty it only has 1 livewell in the back, the back casting deck is smaller than some other models etc. I really like the boat though and wouldn't hesitate to own one even for just a strictly fishing boat (which is what ours is 90% of the time). I wouldn't probably ever use a livewell up front anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Hopefully will bring this to a close in a couple of days. Thanks to all that responded and gave me ideas and alternatives. Seems like a great place to learn so much!

Going to look at a 2016 tracker targa v18 on Tuesday. 140 hours on the 150hp Mercury and has lowrance live HDS 12 (bow) and HDS 9 (console) and ghost TM….electronics are 1 year old…assuming the boat checks out, this is a steal I think at half the price of a new Lund. Plenty of room to mount t bars on the gunnels i think. Fingers crossed

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I have a Tracker 175WT which is a close set up to the one your looking at. I did not do the combo due to the flip up seats being in way of the rack. The WT doesn’t have those and has a larger live well.
I built mine from some aluminum window wall extrusions but most tubing would work.
Attachment is an alum L angle with wing nuts direct to the versa track system so it fairly easily removable if the need arose. It’s very solid. We use it for a brace climbing in and out of the boat so no issues with weight haha
I also put some lights on there mainly because I like to tinker and see if I could but turns out they are very handy!
I used the spray on rubber paint on the L angle where it meets the versa track so no rubbing and gives it that much more grip...
Main thing was mounting far enough forward the motor will raise all the way and clear but far enough back to not block the live well. It also happened to work out the exact right dimension so the Bimini will lay in the rod holders for road transport.

Water Boat Sky Watercraft Cloud
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire
Boat trailer Boat Watercraft Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have a Tracker 175WT which is a close set up to the one your looking at. I did not do the combo due to the flip up seats being in way of the rack. The WT doesn’t have those and has a larger live well.
I built mine from some aluminum window wall extrusions but most tubing would work.
Attachment is an alum L angle with wing nuts direct to the versa track system so it fairly easily removable if the need arose. It’s very solid. We use it for a brace climbing in and out of the boat so no issues with weight haha
I also put some lights on there mainly because I like to tinker and see if I could but turns out they are very handy!
I used the spray on rubber paint on the L angle where it meets the versa track so no rubbing and gives it that much more grip...
Main thing was mounting far enough forward the motor will raise all the way and clear but far enough back to not block the live well. It also happened to work out the exact right dimension so the Bimini will lay in the rod holders for road transport.

View attachment 326141 View attachment 326142 View attachment 326143 View attachment 326144
Thanks for the pics. That’s what I was envisioning originally.

Went and looked at the tracker targa 18 combo and everything checked out. 144 hours on the merc 150, 2 of the pedestal seats have never been used,
Cover and Bimini, and the electronics are a year old…Lowrance HDS Live 12, Lowrance lHDS Live 9, and ghost trolling motor all networked. Also has active target (will be fun to learn and use for crappie/ bass fishing). Finalizing the deal tomorrow so will figure out my rack options - it’s not perfect, but should fit our needs and wants pretty good!

One more thing..what’s everyone’s favorite bait cutting board/station? I don’t think a versatrac mount will work as the gunnels are really wide and mounting one there would block the storage lockers from opening. I’m thinking of a seat pedestal mounted one??

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for the pics. That’s what I was envisioning originally.

Went and looked at the tracker targa 18 combo and everything checked out. 144 hours on the merc 150, 2 of the pedestal seats have never been used,
Cover and Bimini, and the electronics are a year old…Lowrance HDS Live 12, Lowrance lHDS Live 9, and ghost trolling motor all networked. Also has active target (will be fun to learn and use for crappie/ bass fishing). Finalizing the deal tomorrow so will figure out my rack options - it’s not perfect, but should fit our needs and wants pretty good!

One more thing..what’s everyone’s favorite bait cutting board/station? I don’t think a versatrac mount will work as the gunnels are really wide and mounting one there would block the storage lockers from opening. I’m thinking of a seat pedestal mounted one??
Congrats on the new boat. One recommendation is I would take the boat out some before getting the rack. Try and figure out exactly where you want it. Ideally you can trim the engine all the way up without hitting it, you can access all storage areas, doesn't interfere with seats etc. If you have some scrap pieces of wood you could even fab something up to play around with different locations and heights.

As far as bait cutting boards, I originally had one on my gunnel, but didn't like it there as it interfered when landing fish on that side. This is what I went to and I like it alot better. Bait Cooler Cutting Board

·
Registered
Aaron from Indiana
164 Posts
Some people also mount their cutting boards in the center of their rear rod rack. Mine is on the side behind the drivers seat but would be handier in the rear.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
Sorry I'm late with adding extra options . I see you have already made your decision on a boat so I'll post anyway if someone else needs the options. The multi-bars weren't out when I got my rack made. I drove from Richmond, VA to see Austin Sartin in Highpoint, N.C.. He made me a couple racks for my Polar Kraft that didn't interfere with the bimini (up or down), getting to the motor if there's a problem and also not hinder access to livewells/storage at anytime. I envisioned he'd do a big rack across the back, but he did two nice corner racks for me, very heavy duty so that we could use it to get in and out the boat if that situation ever arrived since no ladder options for the boat.
Aircraft Vehicle Aerospace manufacturer Airplane Military aircraft
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Engineering
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Military vehicle
Sky Motor vehicle Watercraft Boat Cloud
Sky Watercraft Motor vehicle Cloud Automotive exterior

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,262 Posts
I decided to go with corner racks like Ramon.
Unless you make it really tall. You have to slide a single bar too far forward because of motor clearance. Takes up most or all of your rear deck. To me it reduced the usable space too much. Also fishing in a lake you want to spread rods out all around the boat.

My wifes aunt/uncle just bought a house on lake Gaston. Its 6 hours away. But i might just have to visit so i can try out the fishing.
Engineering Wood Electrical wiring Machine T-shirt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Congrats on the new boat. One recommendation is I would take the boat out some before getting the rack. Try and figure out exactly where you want it. Ideally you can trim the engine all the way up without hitting it, you can access all storage areas, doesn't interfere with seats etc. If you have some scrap pieces of wood you could even fab something up to play around with different locations and heights.

As far as bait cutting boards, I originally had one on my gunnel, but didn't like it there as it interfered when landing fish on that side. This is what I went to and I like it alot better. Bait Cooler Cutting Board
Agreed. Going to run it a few times and see where I want things. Good point on the gunnel mounted bait board…I didn’t think of that so thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Sorry I'm late with adding extra options . I see you have already made your decision on a boat so I'll post anyway if someone else needs the options. The multi-bars weren't out when I got my rack made. I drove from Richmond, VA to see Austin Sartin in Highpoint, N.C.. He made me a couple racks for my Polar Kraft that didn't interfere with the bimini (up or down), getting to the motor if there's a problem and also not hinder access to livewells/storage at anytime. I envisioned he'd do a big rack across the back, but he did two nice corner racks for me, very heavy duty so that we could use it to get in and out the boat if that situation ever arrived since no ladder options for the boat. View attachment 326148 View attachment 326149 View attachment 326150 View attachment 326151 View attachment 326152 View attachment 326153 View attachment 326154
Man those look great! I live in moseley and Gaston is where the boat will be, so that’s another option to go down to see your guy. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I decided to go with corner racks like Ramon.
Unless you make it really tall. You have to slide a single bar too far forward because of motor clearance. Takes up most or all of your rear deck. To me it reduced the usable space too much. Also fishing in a lake you want to spread rods out all around the boat.

My wifes aunt/uncle just bought a house on lake Gaston. Its 6 hours away. But i might just have to visit so i can try out the fishing. View attachment 326158
Looking good. Thanks for sharing! You all have much more imagination than I!

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,262 Posts
As too the cutting board.
I have one of those fancy ones that is made to mount hanging over the side. Its heavy and in the way no matter where you put it.
I bought a plain ole cutting board from walmart. I clip a piece of para cord to it. After i bait my rods. I drop it in the water and let it soak. Stays clean, no scrubbing, no stink & dosent attract yellow jackets.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts