Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I am getting ready to buy a Lund 1775 or 1875 Impact and am having some difficulties envisioning the rod holder setup I’ll need/want? I will be drift fishing with the trolling motor, so 6 rods out the back of the boar with planer boards. I don’t think the funnel is wide enough to mount a multi bar or similar there and there doesn’t seem to be much room on the transom…so I was looking for a bar that would be secured on each side of the boat with the Lund sport track system. Im not skilled enough to make one myself and I’m not having any luck finding one in the web. Any help is appreciated!

Ps - I don’t think the normal sport track rod holders would work for the blue cats (up to and over 100lbs) that are in our lake…think a solid aluminum bar with monster rod holders would be a far better bet…just can’t figure out how to mount it

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Sounds like you have a good boat got the job ahead. Not sure you need a solid aluminum bar. A length of aluminum channel or aluminum tube would work fine. You can get it with 1/4 inch thick walls which has a lot of strength with less weight.

The Monster Rod Holders are an excellent choice. If you can locate a good Tig welder in your area, he can make a rack made specifically for your boat. And one that can be removed if needed. If you decide to go that route, give some thought to exactly where you will want the rack located and how high you want the bar to be. Height is important when making adjustments to your line.

A picture of where you are thinking of the rack being might help.

tight lines

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you have a good boat got the job ahead. Not sure you need a solid aluminum bar. A length of aluminum channel or aluminum tube would work fine. You can get it with 1/4 inch thick walls which has a lot of strength with less weight.

The Monster Rod Holders are an excellent choice. If you can locate a good Tig welder in your area, he can make a rack made specifically for your boat. And one that can be removed if needed. If you decide to go that route, give some thought to exactly where you will want the rack located and how high you want the bar to be. Height is important when making adjustments to your line.

A picture of where you are thinking of the rack being might help.

tight lines
Ideally I could just use their sport track system ans track down heavy duty rod holders. But then the challenge is not having rods out the back of the boat. I’ll try and find some pics

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the transom - the handle on the starboard side there at the back is for the flip up cover to the boarding ladder so that wouldn’t work to mount a mulTbar.

View attachment 326052

Unless I can use something like this in the rear corners? Anyone have a lund and can tell me how secure those areas are?

Product Automotive design Automotive lighting Art Bumper

End result would be trolling with trolling motor at .5mph and look similar to this (ideally not using a rod bar as that would get in the way of things back there

View attachment 326050

Anyone here slow troll with a lund out the back?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Do you lock down your drags while the rods are in the holder?

Reactions: ramon06

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Then I don't see an issue running racks in the corners. Having a couple rods loaded up with big fish and locked down drags on the same corner rack might be an issue though

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a PolarKraft 2086 and put a Sea Ark Cat Rack on it with 6 Monster Rod holders. Love it!!! Adjustable for size/width. We had to do a bit of mods for my boat has option tracks on it. Other than that, it's strong beyond belief!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a PolarKraft 2086 and put a Sea Ark Cat Rack on it with 6 Monster Rod holders. Love it!!! Adjustable for size/width. We had to do a bit of mods for my boat has option tracks on it. Other than that, it's strong beyond belief!!!!
Thanks for that info. How does the cat rack attach to the boat? Does your boat have a track system like lund, tracker and others? If so what adapters did you use?

·
Registered
152 Posts
It has a slot track system. So what we did was made a track rail from "J" channel aluminum and Tigd it on. Drilled 2 holes, used SS round headed bolts and acorn nuts. Life is grand!!!! My buddy is a traveling welder for Fabick Catipillar and took less than 1 hour at his shop. I can send pics if interested.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Those do help see what your working with.

Now I'll start this out with "If I were you".

It is not difficult to have small brackets made so you could add a couple of rod holders along the tracks on each side. That is what I did to my boat to begin with. If you have some tools and a decent vise at home you could do that on your own but if you can find a decent Tig Welder, it would be a lot easier.

Now as you mentioned, that isn't the best setup for getting lines out behind the boat. You will need either a corner rack on each side or a Bar rack that crosses the back. Now I did a separate rack on each side but I also have a tiller motor system so I preferred to keep the center area open. There is nothing wrong with a bar crossing the back if that will suit your needs.

If you decide to mount acorn rack, it would be much better to use large washers or even a plate on the under side of the flooring. Some boats don't give you that access. Now that isn't a must but it adds strength.

Now if I your intending to use the track (which is fine) your will probably be better with the cross bar type. If I were doing it, I would use 2 " square aluminum tubing for the side supports. I would suggest having a "T" frame made. You would want a section that runs along the track which will spread the stress. I would make those 12 or 18 inches in length. Then a second length of tubing would need the end cut at an angle so it pointed straight or slightly inward. With that bolted to the track on each side I would add the cross member. A 3 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick piece of aluminum channel. Then in each corner, on the under side, add either metal straps or weld a short piece of the 2 inch tube at a 45* angle for side to side support. When that is ready, you can either drill the 1/2 inch holes to add the rod holders using stainless nuts or you can get the threaded rod holder base and have it welded where you want them.

Many rod holders are made using right or left threads so side torque would be tightening the holder rather than loosening it. Just an option.

Finally, decide what angle you want your rod holders to have. I like the 5/35* degree holders for drift fishing or anchoring. Some prefer the 45* angle for faster trolling type fishing.

When I had my rod holder base bar put on, I bolted a rod holder on to it and put a rod in the holder. Then we tilted the base slightly till I got the angle I wanted before tack welding it. Always best to actually check each step before welding.

If you lived around here I would recommend the welder I use. He welds and repairs commercial aircraft for a living and is very good at what he does. Notice I didn't say cheap but Good.

Let me know if my description of the cross rod rack is describes in an understandable way.
tight lines

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Some folks drill a larger hole in their track so a stove bolts would fit into it and slide to where you needed it. They do make threaded rectangular metal blocks now that when held longways will fit into the thread slot and then can be turned before tightening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the pic. I also see that monster has a cat rack as well..might be tough to use a rack as the seats will hit when they are in the upper position. Corner racks might be a better choice for me if I can fit them in there and get access to underneath it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the pics. Those do help see what your working with.

Now I'll start this out with "If I were you".

It is not difficult to have small brackets made so you could add a couple of rod holders along the tracks on each side. That is what I did to my boat to begin with. If you have some tools and a decent vise at home you could do that on your own but if you can find a decent Tig Welder, it would be a lot easier.

Now as you mentioned, that isn't the best setup for getting lines out behind the boat. You will need either a corner rack on each side or a Bar rack that crosses the back. Now I did a separate rack on each side but I also have a tiller motor system so I preferred to keep the center area open. There is nothing wrong with a bar crossing the back if that will suit your needs.

If you decide to mount acorn rack, it would be much better to use large washers or even a plate on the under side of the flooring. Some boats don't give you that access. Now that isn't a must but it adds strength.

Now if I your intending to use the track (which is fine) your will probably be better with the cross bar type. If I were doing it, I would use 2 " square aluminum tubing for the side supports. I would suggest having a "T" frame made. You would want a section that runs along the track which will spread the stress. I would make those 12 or 18 inches in length. Then a second length of tubing would need the end cut at an angle so it pointed straight or slightly inward. With that bolted to the track on each side I would add the cross member. A 3 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick piece of aluminum channel. Then in each corner, on the under side, add either metal straps or weld a short piece of the 2 inch tube at a 45* angle for side to side support. When that is ready, you can either drill the 1/2 inch holes to add the rod holders using stainless nuts or you can get the threaded rod holder base and have it welded where you want them.

Many rod holders are made using right or left threads so side torque would be tightening the holder rather than loosening it. Just an option.

Finally, decide what angle you want your rod holders to have. I like the 5/35* degree holders for drift fishing or anchoring. Some prefer the 45* angle for faster trolling type fishing.

When I had my rod holder base bar put on, I bolted a rod holder on to it and put a rod in the holder. Then we tilted the base slightly till I got the angle I wanted before tack welding it. Always best to actually check each step before welding.

If you lived around here I would recommend the welder I use. He welds and repairs commercial aircraft for a living and is very good at what he does. Notice I didn't say cheap but Good.

Let me know if my description of the cross rod rack is describes in an understandable way.
tight lines
Thanks for the great ideas! My issue is I know what I like when I see it, but I don’t have the imagination to envision the build process:)

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,310 Posts
Greetings! I am getting ready to buy a Lund 1775 or 1875 Impact and am having some difficulties envisioning the rod holder setup I’ll need/want? ……………………….
Ps - I don’t think the normal sport track rod holders would work for the blue cats (up to and over 100lbs) that are in our lake…………
Not to cause offense but why would you buy a boat that you can’t easily set up the way you want it?
I assume when you say “our lake” you mean it’s your local lake?
If I had easy access to a lake with 100lb blues, I would be looking at a boat that could be easily set up exactly how I needed it to be.
That said, if your really set on that boat, there are always ways to make a working solution. We are a creative bunch so, as you’ve already seen, there will be lots of suggestions.

…W

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to cause offense but why would you buy a boat that you can’t easily set up the way you want it?
I assume when you say “our lake” you mean it’s your local lake?
If I had easy access to a lake with 100lb blues, I would be looking at a boat that could be easily set up exactly how I needed it to be.
That said, if your really set on that boat, there are always ways to make a working solution. We are a creative bunch so, as you’ve already seen, there will be lots of suggestions.

…W
Good points! We have a house on lake Gaston..35 mikes long with lots of blues and many over 100lbs. We have a Nautique surf/wakeboard boat, so this new boat will strictly be used for fishing and nothing else.

Need a deep v as the lake can get awful rough, especially with surf boats around:). Size needs to be 17-18ft max due to size of my second boat slip and the 4000lb lift we have on it. Want walk through windshield as well. Finally, the boat will also be used for bass and crappie fishing. Want to stay at 50k max.

I’m all ears for other boat recommendations…seems like most aluminum deep v’s in this range have the same general layout from what I have seen.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts