Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy 2 rods for my abu garica 6600. Im looking for something from 6' 6" to 7' 6" and med. heavy to heavy. I want something that will have some backbone to set the hook and have some flex to wear the fish down. Ive been looking at the Ugly Sticks. Wanting to know about the pros and cons of this rod or any rod you would suggest me taking a look at. Thanks, Neal

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I agree. Can hardly wait to get my hands on a Catfish Safari rod! Finances are dictating otherwise right now. Before the years out hopefully. If you have the money, take the CS advice. Right now I am using Berkley Big Game 6 foot 6 inch medium heavy. Been using 'em for quite a while with no failures thus far. $20.96 Wal-Mart.
BB in SC

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Isn't it a sad state when not everyone can afford a lincoln or cadillac fishing rod. I stick with the old fords and chevy's from Walmart. I think it's easier to replace a ford/chevy rod than those custom high end rods. LOL

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
My buddy landed a monster blue in the river two days ago with a $45 American Spirit Nite Stick Pro Model rod 7'6". They are great, great, great rods. After seeing the way my rod performed with a fish of that size on the end it makes me think that unless you're throwing 12+oz lead there is no need to get a rod that costs $80+, no need at all.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I think there is a LOT more to the high end rods that just casting distance. Rod material, handle material, and eye material on the high end rods far exceeds the lesser quality rods. I don't think the issue is whether a cheap rod will handle a big fish. It's rather a matter of the longevity of the rod. A good rod, well cared for, will probably outlast lesser rods 5 to 1. Once again, I'm with you on using cheap rods as that is what I can afford at the moment. Once again, I have caught some big fish on cheap rods. And... once again, that being said, I can still hardly wait to get my hands on a catfish safari rod! :)
BB in SC

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I think longevity is all in how you care for your rods. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a rod if you abuse it and don't take care of it it's not going to last long. A prime example of this is my Bill Lewis Rattle Trap Rod. It was a cheap Kmart special but I have had that rod since I was in 7th grade and I'm 25 now so do the math:smile2: If you take care of your stuff a cheaper rod will last just as long as a rod that costs twice as much, that's why I think there is no need to spend 80 dollars on a rod, it's certainly not going to make you a better fisherman:wink: even though some may think so. Also, I could by two of the rods that I use for the price of one Tiger, CS, or Surge.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i have several catfish rods. some cheap some not. i know comparing my fenwick to my eagle claw its like comparing a cadillac to vw. to me if you know how to fight a fish, equipment doesn't come into play as much as one thinks, unless your in swift water. then to me it matters. imho

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have u ever tried Bass Pro's Power Plus Rods a good rod for $25.00.Have been using them for several years.:big_smile:

·
Registered
184 Posts
You should look at the Shakespeare Sturdy Stik. Kinda hard to find, but a couple online places sell them. I ordered four about two months ago at about $18 a piece. Haven't got to fish with them yet because of high water, but I like them a lot. They're 6'6" which is a little shorter than I wanted but not too bad. They have a lot of backbone, but not like a pool cue like others have said. Mine are the m/h rated for 50lb line and up to 8oz sinker. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You should look at the Shakespeare Sturdy Stik. Kinda hard to find, but a couple online places sell them. I ordered four about two months ago at about $18 a piece. Haven't got to fish with them yet because of high water, but I like them a lot. They're 6'6" which is a little shorter than I wanted but not too bad. They have a lot of backbone, but not like a pool cue like others have said. Mine are the m/h rated for 50lb line and up to 8oz sinker. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
I AGREE WITH THE STURDY STIK, IT IS WELL WORTH THE TRY. THERE IS ANOTHER ROD CALLED "GAMEFISH" THEY ARE JUST LIKE THE STURDY STIK AND SIMILAR IN PRICE. BOTH GREAT RIVER RODS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry I can't give u alot of advice on the pro's and con's of an ugly stick, but I can say that they work great. It's hard to go wrong with a Shakespeare rod. Some of their reels can be ify, but their rods are usually good. I know catfisherman in books that have used Shakespeare tiger rods, which are a little different that regular ugly sticks, but still the same idea. I myself own a Shakespeare, and my fishin buddy on here, Redd, uses one too. They're good river rods. The only thing is, if you fish extremely large rivers, like the mississippi, then you'll want a huge ugly stick. and those can cost $. But for smaller rivers, the standard 6-7' is fine for casting distance.

Also, if you are going to do some research on rods, try looking up the Whippin' stick. Or maybe it's Whuppin' stick. I don't remember how to spell it exactly, but they're supposed to be kindof like an ugly stick, except cheaper. Something to look into.

As always, I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.