Catfish rigs...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mybowtie, Jun 1, 2008.

1. mybowtie

mybowtie New Member

State:
    Upstate NY
    Hey guys New to the site, and to caffish fishing. Like the site alot. Good info on here.

Im going after the cats on Lake Champlain a few times this yr, and would like to know to rig up. Will be fishing out of a boat. I have a 7' med/haevy rod reel, spinning outfit. What line do I need, Do I put the weight on the end of the line? Or up a little with bait on the end of the line. What size weight?
    thanks for any info...

2. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well its hard to say, what kinda spinning reel is it? I preferr 15-30 for the smaller cats myself, usually Trilene Big Game in green. Sounds like you are fishing for eater size cats, so i'd suggest 15-30lb line, a slip sinker rig with a snap swivel and looper rigs and get yourself a quality dip bait like sonnys blood formula or something from cattracker ( wicked sticky, sewer, shad scents are the ones i use most) but mostly the sonnys blood bait. The size of slip sinker is really up to you.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Though I havent seen him in a while, I believe splitshot is the man to talk to. I believe Champlain is his home water. Welcome to the BOC from a fellow NY-er. I'm in the Syracuse area. Anyone know what's up with Splitshot? Rob I usually use an egg sinker (1/2-1 oz)above a barrel swivel and a 12" to 20" leader with about a size two hook. Unless the waters you are fishing have alot of sharp rocks I don't find the need to go over twelve pound test. Our cats don't get as big as some of the pigs you'll see on this sight. I average cats from three to six pounds. The biggest I've caught was in the high twentys. Landed it on 8lb test, and released it in good shape. I fish an ugly stick rod with 15lb with my big bait in hopes to beat the State Record. Most of my fish come on the smaller rod on 10lb line. I usually use stinkbait on looper rigs (look them up well worth it, Loop is one of us), cut bait (1-3" chunks), or the old stand by, night crawlers. hope this helps.

Richard

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I usually get my biggest fish on sunfish heads. Or silver (white) bass heads. For some reason the big ones like the heads.

Richard

5. mybowtie

mybowtie New Member

State:
    Upstate NY
    thanks for the info guys. This helps alot. I will be fishing in the upcomming LCI turny. Mid 20lbers+ win the top honners. I will def look into the looper rigs.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    ROB,

I WOULD LIKE TO WELCOME TO THE BOC, YOU WILL FIND A WHOLE OF GOOD INFO. HERE.

I LIJE EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD EXCEPT I THINK I WOULD USE A 1/0 KAHLE HOOK WITH THE CUT HEADS ON THE STINK BAIT I CAN NOT TELL YOU ANYTHING BECAUSE I DON'T USE IT MYSELF

GOOD LUCK FISHING:big_smile:

7. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Welcome to the BOC, Rob. Have you tried looking in the member library? There several different rigs pictured in there - and of course a picture is worth a thousand words!!:wink:
    Have fun!
    Deb

8. mybowtie

mybowtie New Member

State:
    Upstate NY
    Ill check that out. Thanks for the warm welcome.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Rob.