Catfish rigs - whats best for fishing the bottom

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, Jan 15, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I was just wondering everyone's favorite set up for Catfishing on bottom in a river. Mine has to be the hook then a small split shot. I found a little plastic piece that your sinket hooks on to. So when the fish takes the bait the sinker just slides up the line. I learned to love it fishing the river and lakes

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I will either use a 3 way or a carolina rig. I perfer the carolina rig. Just can't stand how fishing in heavy current the hook and weight line's tend to get tangled.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I just use a Carolina Rig, but the sinker on that rig it has to be a "No-Roll Sinker". :)

Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

4. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use an egg or no-roll sinker above a swivel or split shot. I generally prefer the swivel...

Shawn

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I like to put a small snap swivel on my main line, which is 20lb, then have a large swivel below. The small swivel I use the snap end to hook my pre tied sinker on, using ten pound line. My hook is pre tied with 17lb which I put on the other side of the large swivel. If my sinker or hook either get hung up, that is usually all I lose. Well once in a great while all, but not very often.

6. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I drift alot,i use a rig similar to this setup.Found this pic somewhere and like the way is is.You can change it to fit your needs.I also fish lakes more than the rivers.Then alot of times i use a Carolina Rig.
    Ernie

Attached Files:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a three way rig or a egg sinker rig.

8. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Like most catfishermen/women I grew up with the idea that I needed to use a big weight and throw as far out as I could.Now I very seldom bottom fish. I have found that I catch many more cats using a slip float rig when bank fishing,in the boat I drift.The big fish seem to suspend about 22/25 feet deep.I even use a slip float rig in the spring when the cats are shallow,I never get hung up this way.I have been using this method for about 20 years now and would never go back to bottom fishing. But,like everything else it depends on where you fish and how you were taught.I never bad mouth anyones methods. If you are catching fish ,keep up the good work. Its all about the catching and releasing,CPR works. Everyone have a good day.

9. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I prefer the Carolina rig with a no roll sinker, some times a 3-way rig.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I generally have the weight on bottom and two droppers above it.

11. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    3-way in heavy current or snag filled jambs or stick-ups.Carolina in light current or lakes.Slip float in current breaks and sometimes with a offshore wind on lakes.
    Fish the situation that presents itself.I do'nt have any hard ,fast rules though.Remain flexiable.As for wind-ups with 3-ways,you can wrap a short piece of medium wire attached to the eye of the 3-way and wind it around the line with the hook,and it will make it a stand off from the sinker line.An old codfishermens trick.
    BILL

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i use a slip rig for most of my heavy river fishing always works for me

13. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I either use a carolina rig with egg sinkers, or i use a three way swivel rig with a dipsey sinker

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i fish alot of my baits naked... no weight and just a circle hook on it...

I do use the carolina type rigs too and occasionally a 3way.. depends on the bait im using too

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    usually 3 way with egg or no roll if i have them. Would probably use carolina rig in rivers, but dont fish them much

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    carolina rig, w/ a Sinker Slide (some people call them "fishfinders")

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If I'm anchored I use a carolina rig. \
    But if I'm drift fishing I only use the 3 way rig. with a barrel swivel between the 3 way and the hook. Keeps the bait from twisting in the current.
    I use 2 droppers above a sinker. Also use light line for the sinker. And make a loop to put the sinker on. That way if the current changes, All that I have to do is take one sinker off and replace with the one I need.
    Also In light current I use almost no leader to the hook. And in fast current a longer one.
    Pete

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    If i'm drift fishing i use a 3 way swivel with a 1 1/2 oz walkking sinker on around a 6 to 8" leader made of 15Lbs test it will break off if you would get hook up easy with loseing or hooks. I use around 12 " 18 " leaders 50 lb spider wire with an inline float mid way between the swivel and hook. Different hooks for different baits.

Bottom fishing I use same sinkers with carolina keepers to stop the sinkers from hitting the inline floats only one knot this way at the hook. the more weigh you use just add one or two more keepers to the line and it will stop your sinker from moving down to your float and hook.

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I use a carolinia rig. No-roll sinkers, kahale hook.