Catfish Rigs for San Diego Lakes

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ironbelle, Feb 3, 2006.

1. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    New to the forum, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I live in San Diego, CA and they pay lakes here are stocked with channel cats. I made up some homemade bait from recipies found on the internet ie, shrimp marinated in Anise extract and hotdogs soaked in koolaid water and chicken soaked in koolaid water and garlic. I usually fish for trout and wanted to know if some folks could give me some good techniques on what kind of hooks, setup, etc. For trout I thread line through a barrel sinker, tie on a swivel, connect a treble hook on a leader and the line flowes freely through the sinker when the sinker hits bottom.

2. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    First and foremost welcome to the BOC. In San Diego I mostly fished Lake Poway, Dixon, and Cuyamaca. For channels I used almost exclusively fresh cut makerel. Use either a cirle hook or larger treble and either flyline or use use a sliding sinker, you will find em.

Need any more info I fished lake Poway daily fo sixth monthes so I am pretty familiar with the fish habits.

3. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    Centralcat, thanks for the advise, Any pics of rigs you have would be great, You can email them to my email addy ironbelle at cox dot net if you wish. Thanks for the info! I'm going to Lake Murray near my place since my friends cancelled on me at Dixon. If you got any digital pics of rigs, that's great. When it comes to these things, if I see pics, I can imitiate the rig. I was going to just put line through a barrel sinker, tie on a swivel then a leader with a circle hook and put on a piece of shrimp, but I don't know if that is enough. The shrimp is marinated in Anise extract. Oh, how do you put hotdogs on a hook? I sliced up wieners in 1 inch pieces and would love to see how you put them on a hook. I tried, but when I pulled in my line, seems like the dog just fell off.

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Welcome to the board ironbelle.

You will find that a spool of thread can come in handy tying off baits;) just wrap the bait 4-5 times and secure it so its not so easy to get off or fall off, I used this on most baits unless there frozen or unless its some nasty sticky stink bait:cool:

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Two different setups you can try

Attached Files:

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a25: to the B.O.C. "ironbelle"

I use both of the Rigs that Vini has in the photo above (Rig #2 more so than the Rig #1), but that is just me & everyone has there own Fishing Rigs that they swear by and mind is the sliding sinker rig - but the main thing is "That It Works". :)

Catfish Rigs to me are alot like Trout set-ups, - but much larger.
    (Think About It :rolleyes: )

You will get all of the fishing information that you will ever need at the B.O.C.

These are all "Great People" & there here 24/7. :0a23:

Glad to have you aboard,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    These are all "Great People" & there here 24/7.

Thats because i have no life other then this computer and fishing now and then oh yeah and work, good thing for that.

Mornin bert .:)

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :thumbsup:
    Good mornin Vini - How are you doing Buddy?

(Shina)

9. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    welcome to the boc ironbelle,i'm sure your gonna like this site everyone here is great and full of information of some sort..now what part of san diego are you in? i grew up there and think it's great we now have a member there that can keep me informed on the fishing reports there...lol i mostly fished in cuyamacca lake fot their rainbows and fished otay for their bass but spent countless hours at the santee lakes for their channel cats i problely caught most of my bigger cats at lake hollingsworth but don't count out el capitan lake there are some nice ones in there as well as far as poway lake i lost a few good ones in there as well. if you're up for a drive take a trip to the all american river in the el centro valley area my mom lost the biggest cat fish i ever seen in my life in there...we would use cut macks' on the #2 rig that vini posted we would also use good ol' stink bait...well good luck and welcome to the boc i look foward to hearing some good fishing reports from my home town...

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Bigcountry01,

Stink-Baits / Cut Baits :thumbsup:

"Now Your Talking"!!!! :)

I have to get out there and do some fishing now. :0a32: :0a23:
    (LOL:happy: )

Take it easy,
    (Shaina)

11. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    Vini,

Thanks for the pics, Errr. do you have any "actual pictures of these rigs" with the drawings, I can't tell if those are beads or nots on rig #2. I'm happy that you took the time to post the pics, but the pics look like things that I have never fished with such as beads.

12. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you for the suggestion. I've driven through El Centro to get to Calexico and Yuma on the family trips to AZ. I'm more than happy to keep you updated on San Diego fishing. I just got home from Lake Dixon and it stunk. Very few people got their trout limits and the fish were not as aggresive as they usually are. If you got a nibble, you needed to capitalize on it cause they were far and few. We were tied to the buoyline in a boat and the boat next to us found a "barrel full of trout" cause they were killing em but anyone else next to em, couldn't reel one in. Lake Murray in La Mesa finally complete the water treatment center that they were building so they are starting to put water back in to the lake. It has been low for a long time. I pulled out one trout of of Murray on Saturday and that took me 4 hours. Again, the bites were not aggressive and they were far and few.

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Ironbelle! You will find tons of information here and alot of good people! Vini is right about thread to tie baits on. You will want to use magic thread or miracle thread, they are elastic and all you have to do is wrap around your bait a few times and break it off. It cinches against it self!
    Tight lines!

14. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    DeltaLover you have great pics on your blog! I realize you are in Tracy, but I had to say that I love the Sacramento area and I read that parts of the levy there are not up to code! When I hear the word "Delta" I associate it with the south, never the west. Thank you for the welcome! This is a very friendly board. Good to see that on the internet. I'll try to catch some cats and put up a pic or two.

15. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey ironbelle,what part of san diego are you in???

16. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    I live in North Park, not far from Balboa Park and Downtown so I have to drive to all the lakes. The closest pay lake to me is Lake Murray in La Mesa. Never been to San Vicente or anything like that. I think I'll try to fish at those lakes. That is where everyone usually goes for catfish. I like pan size cats myself. When those cats get to be 50 plus pounds, they can't possibly taste good. People do not eat these really large cats do they?

17. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Ironbelle,
    The rig you desribed with the sliding sinker, barrel swivel and circle hook is the same setup i use, the only difference is if I can get away with it I try not to use any weight at all.

18. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    Great! I will try that. I am going to try to get out this Saturday or Sunday morning.

19. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey ironbelle i grew up between el cajon and imperial beach with a short stay in alpine for a couple years if you like the pan size cats give santee lakes a try, plenty of channels in there i wanna say lake # 2 is susposed to be a the better of the bunch for cats theres also a decent lake for rainbow trout but i don't remember which one....good luck

20. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    big it is lake 2,3,5 use fresh mackeral and whole shrimp with anise oil works very well