Catfish Rigs and Leaders

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by roh1961, Jan 19, 2007.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was considering making some leaders and rigs to have an easier setup for big cats. I was looking at CC for leader making materials and didn't know what I needed to get: coated steel or mono, snaps, swivels, single or double connector crimping pliers, single or double connections? I'm not even sure on dimensions, I guess I'm kind of lost. I'm partial to the Spro swivels, other than that I'm not too particular. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    As far as the other stuff goes, I'm not too sure, but I have had bad experience with steel in the past. I have caught catfish and when they got in they were all scratched up from the wire. I would advise against steel and go for a heavy monofilament leader.

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I use a lot of hooks, sinkers, swivels, and beads due to the heavy snags in the Great Miami River. I used to cart along 4 sizes of hook, packs of swivels, a bag of beads, and about 15-lb of noroll sinkers. Spent a lot of time retying all those knots when I had a breakoff.

I got a little smarter and started using my winter evenings to prepackage a leader (mono recycled from respooling) tied with hook and swivel, bagged in a 2x3 ziploc bag with a bead. Bag has the hook size on it with a sharpie marker. I segregate each into groups by hook size in a larger zip bag, and those four bags go into a clear plastic food box with a snap lid.

Now, when I have a breakoff, I just cut the mainline knot at the swivel, grab a bag, slip up a fresh sinker and the bead and tie one knot instead of three. Any hardware retrieved goes into a bag for recycling into new packs. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the fingers when your fishing, especially in the cold. Back in the water a lot quicker and don't have to pick thru a bunch of bags and boxes. Keeps the clutter out of the backpack, too.

Dennis

Attached Files:

4. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I'm using a new rig these days.
    I place a swivel on the main line first, followed by a bead and coffee stir straw and another bead then the hook. One knot on main line.
    Off the swivel is a lighter leader for the sinker. Length of leader is up to you.

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Good idea Dennis. I'll have to start stocking up and premaking setups.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also pre tie hooks and leaders, from 1/0 to 10/0 and use 25 to 50 lb mono for the leader, stored in small zip lock bags. I use a worm binder to store the small bags and keep them separated according to size and length of leader.
    When I can find the stren leader material on sale that is what I use. The empty spools can be refiled with whatever type mono you want, keeps it neat and handy.

7. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i use the simple stuff.slip sinker on main line,snap swivle,leader with a float by the hook to keep it off the bottom.

8. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i use mono. buy some sleeves and swivels and make several different types until you find the kind you like. i started tying instead of using sleeves and like that better. i make up some with 3 way swivels and some as carolina rigs. always carry both.

9. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I take it that that rig is for use with the clicker on?

10. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use slip rigs and sometimes have the weight below the hook, with the hook in a loop to drift on clean bottom lakes. I just thought the crimped rigs would be stronger and more dependable.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think I need to start, making my own rigs.

12. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    OK I'm new here what is the coffee stir straw for?

Wooly

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Have no idea what the stir stick is for. I pre-tie all of my hooks, and keep the beads in a old pill bottle, I can usually re-tie a setup in under a minute.

Ray

14. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the idea!

Looks like I will be making some setups this winter..

Vince

15. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    OOPS! CAN YOU USE BRAIDED FOR THE LEADER OR IS MONO PERFERRED?

Vince

16. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Mono or flourocarbon for the leader. Unless you want to spend the money and get a coated braided. The cats teeth tear up braided line too much.
    Will

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Don't need to get real fancy. 60 pound test mono. Save and use regular line, leader line not worth the diff in price. #3 barrell swivel and snell a gamakatsu circle on and you have a fine bottom rig if you add a 2-3 oz no roll sinker...may need more weight depending on the current where you fish.

18. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Try using a different color leader than your main line. I like to use 40lb clear berkley big game for my leader line. I use solar green 20 lb for my main line, and I use clear 40 for my leaders. The different colored leaders make it MUCH easier to untangle lines.

As for my rigs, I just tie up a bunch of rigs with: about 20"-40" of clear 40 lb berkley big game, I tie a swivel at the top, then a 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circle at the bottom. If I break off, all I have to grab from the tacklebox is a weight and a bead. I think I"m gonna start tying up rigs and bagging them like was suggested. That's a fantastic idea.

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    during the winter i tie up as many rigs as i can and put them in sandwich bags. then i put the sandwich bags into gallon size bags marked with what rigs they are the general size of the hooks i tied to them. working from left to right the rig consists of a swivel, a short piece of mono with a sinker slide on it, another swivel, and a snelled hook tied to this swivel. (photo #1). next on the end of my line i tie a snap or other connection (photo #2) if i want to change hook sizes,baits or go to a different style rig i can replace it in seconds. in photo #3 this is the whole thing ready to be baited and casted.

Attached Files:

20. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    that seems like alot of tackle to lose from snags. unless i fish a clean bottom lake or a river bank i kno has a somehwat clean bottom i go with as little tackle as possible. good sized swivel, leader, snelled hook. sometimes when i kno im going to have to sacrifice and get snagged alot to catch some nice fish ill use a big split ring for a swivle since they are cheap. all i have to do with this pre tied rig is slip the bead and sinker on which i have the beads in a small sandwich bag and the sinkers in a shot bag.