Catfish Rescue Revamped - Taking Baby Steps With Something Many Could Agree With

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    The Misguided Cycle Of The CPR V.S. Non-CPR Debate​

It always causes some heat among recreational sport catfishermen, and at times people get lost looking at the micro problem versus the actual root cause. As long as individual fishermen debate directly against each other about food on the table V.S. the release of catfish, the root cause of the friction will continue, and “they” will thank you for distracting yourself.

Sadly its a business cycle that wont be easily broken until the business of trophy catfish is enforced, and more importantly, inspected by officials at strategic locations.

Large trophy catfish caught commercially through legal means or illegal means really have little demand in the food market for resell.

Many small business commercial fishermen are smart and responsible people who realize that trophy catfish lay more eggs and intern provide them with more, “money fish” over time, with less operational physical cost.
    Those recreational catfishermen that actually target trophy catfish for consumption is a relatively small group, as the cost, energy, expertise and time needed to do it strategically isn’t easy.

Its simply not a favorable conversion of time.

There is some loss through, “tail gating“, or showing off fish, but overall its becoming more limited as education levels increase.

Those that are die hard CPR supporters have the right idealistic goals but only provide more trophy catfish for those who would harvest them for money indirectly through their own stewardship.

The real problem rest on where the money is. Without a payoff, people will curtail doing actions they wouldn’t normally do.

The money currently is in the resell of trophy catfish to Pay Lakes.

Its important to note, not all Pay Lakes secure their fish from public waters.

Its a loss situation, CPR folks proudly turn them loose, and stockers scoop them up for high profit returns.

The river or lake recreational angler ends up paying the bulk of management cost maintaining an attractive fishery through his or her annual fishing license fee(s).

In the end, everybody is making money but the Guy letting them go.

- Pay Lake fishermen are winning money, peer recognition, or equipment in contest

- Pay lake owner(s) are getting foot traffic and residual sales through their on-site shop(s)

- The guy selling them to the Pay Lake is motivated by making $ per pound.
    Until inspection(s) occur at facilities, the public(s) viewpoint changes, or States realize they can make more money through Big Fish monetization, it will be a slow change.

It will take a collective effort, which is always hard to organize, especially with the myriad of other issues on the World table.

We are trying to solidify support, and ween ourself off the debate that only distracts from the actual root cause of the two sides fundamental issue.

Harvesting smaller catfish allows commercial fishermen to pay their bills by satisfying a market(s) nutritional need, and leaves recreational fishermen to enjoy catching trophy catfish.

http://www.catfishrescue.com/

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Paul Its sure going to be a long hard fight. But will be will sure win this in the end.
    Thanks
    pete

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    very well put Paul and well thought out. could not agree more.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gotta keep pushin'.. we'll make it.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    After reading through all the comments posted on the petition :eek:oooh: I noticed there were some really good points made but what stood out to me the most was the harebrained threats and vulgar language used in some. Those stood out to me the most as not helping our cause one bit. If you want to be taken seriously don't make a public statement on a serious topic that is downright immature and uncalled for :confused2: Just my .2 cents carry on :wink: And yes I signed it lol

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Terry, send me the links if you can..

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Just a heads up folks if you sign the petition be sure to confirm your signature through your email. I dont check mine(email) often and just now added my signature after signing it a few days ago:eek:oooh: