catfish reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by chuckmikulik, Mar 7, 2008.

1. chuckmikulik

chuckmikulik New Member

State:
    ohio
    Does anyone know a good reel for catfish up to 30 pounds that is under 40$

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The name you are looking for is in my avatar.

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome to the boc

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chuck Welcome to the BOC. You might find the reel your looking for by checking out EBay. :0a18::0a25::0a25:

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC.
    I would recommend OKUMA. They will have casting or spinning reels in your price range and the quality is very good. Good luck.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont-save 60.00 or more buy the one you realy want!Ofcourse it took me about 13 plus to learn that:wink:

7. AlwaysFishin

AlwaysFishin New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Quauntum Optix 80. Large freshwater reel. Got if for 23.00. It's a quality reel with an excellent drag and holds a boat load of line.

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Bass Por Catmaxx spinning reel. $39.99:wink:

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Ebay is a good bet. I have gotten several Penn 209 and 309 reels for under 40.00. I just picked up a Penn 180 for my 6 year old son for 17.00, but this reel would handle a 30 lb fish. It's quite stout and a real bargain for what I paid. There are others out there as well, like the Penn 285 Del Mar which would work quite well for that size fish and are usually south of 40.00 on Ebay.

Good luck with your search...

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I second that. Hey Chuck, it would be a better option to spend the extra money on a higher quality reel. To me it makes more sense to spend $100 on a quality reel that will last you a lifetime than spend $40 or less on a reel that might last 3yrs. or less. Higher quality reels have better components, stronger gears, smoother drags,etc. Just a thought!! Good luck on your purchase!!

Mark..

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    See the thing is when you buy a cheap reel eventually you will want a better one.:big_smile: But there are good reels out at reasonable prices. My vote would be for the Shimano Sedona they come in different sizes. They are priced around $60 or so. Be careful of the really cheap reels they often have inferior(plastic) or soft metal gears that will strip easily....

12. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    That's the beauty of the Penns I mentioned in my last post.. These are top quality, stout reels which you can get at his price range.. I saw some Abu Garcia's at Walmart the other day at 69.00-129.00 and I do believe the Penns are every bit as good in terms of quality.

It's just a shame the Penn's are now built in China. I do not know how their quality is now...

13. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I have 6 PENN 309,s two of which were made in china. took them apart and they are built the same way as they always have been. The only reason they are made in china now is because MASTER bought PENN out and they have alot of huge factories over there......Im sure they dont have to pay employees as much if they build them over there.

GO PENN!!!!!

14. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    That's good to know... I'll have to check one out myself..

15. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i am such an ABU fan i'd just save a couple more bucks and pick one up. we got a bait shop around here that sell 6000 used fo about 30.00 to 40.00. some of them don't look the best on the outside but the guts are still great.

16. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mmmmm, I think maybe the Shakespeare Tidewater... I've owned them in the past, and I have caught big fish on the, Just Dont allow sand to get into them,,, lol

17. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Penn 209's can be had for just over 40 bucks a piece brand new. Thats hard to beat.

18. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have SEVERAL Penn 209's and for the money, there hard to beat! Theres only one draw-back, there retrieve is slow, but you get used to it!:wink:

19. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice picture with kids:big_smile:

20. justfishn

justfishn New Member

State:
    ohio
    for the $ the penn 209 is hard to beat.they don't cast as good as my 6500 but they have alot of power and great drag.