catfish recognition

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by cdog, Jul 13, 2009.

1. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    just wanted to say to some people who think the catfish doesn't get much recognition. If we all continue to fish hard and bring those record breaking cats to the scales it will bring alot of attention. Just since this new state record blue was caught I have seen alot of people become more interested in catfishing. Right now if you were to go to the odnr website the bluecatfish is considered the fish of the month. That is a lot better than say 10-15 years ago when I was fishing the clubs with Dale Broaghton (sorry if it is misspelled last name Dale) and we tried to report a 46 lb blue we had caught from the river to the division of wildlife, they said that Ohio did not even recognize the bluecat as astate fish, that we had to go to kentucky for a fish like that. So lets keep bringing them in. loluck.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its funny, you should seen all the houseboats, cabin cruisers, and ski boats catfishing that stretch of river the week after that guy caught that blue. Kind of funny how everyone jumped on the band wagon for a while...:smile2::smile2:

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yes, recognition is kind of a two edge sword ... you may get a few more things done as far as stocking on slize limits, but then you get all of the crazies out there keeping everything they catch from guppie size up and there will be more trot liners and jug fisherman .... so I am not sure if I really want much recognition for my sport.

Garry-

4. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I have friends and family ask me all the time why I don't send some of my pics to the paper to see if they'll print them. My response is always the same. I don't want people to know anything about the fish or where I fish. A lot of us could prob get our pic in the local paper but how many of us actually do? No thanks, I liked it better years ago when I was the only one fishing for them.
    That helps out the bass guys too cause there wouldn't be as many of us using them for bait.:smile2:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think recognition is a bad thing...we have to many people fishing for trophy fish as it is...I am all for keeping it quite.

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    If that is your short and long range goals, you guys shouldn't be participating on Social Catfishing Websites. With each post you make, more people find the BOC, become interested, learn, and will eventually want to target trophy catfish.

Best bet would be to start pushing Bass Fishing and Crappie Fishing hard , to draw undecided anglers into that sphere of fishing influence.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    good post paul way to tell it how it is !!!!!:wink::big_smile:

8. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Your right Paul. But it was different on here even as short as 2 years ago. Then it was a place for like minded fishermen to get together and share experiences, a few tips and tricks, and do some bragging. It seems that in the past few years catfishing has really taken off with a lot of new people. That in itself isn't really a bad thing. It brings recognition to the species in areas of conservation and more types of gear and innovations to us the sportsman. then there are the downsides. I switched boats this year because I was having people follow me when I would put in. I went lights out and used the trolling motor to get away more than once last year. People say it's public water and they have as much right to the spots I fish, well they can find em on their own like I did.

9. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Its all relative.

People were saying the same thing 7 years ago, and will say it 7 years from now.

You will always have a group of 3-5 old timers talking about how stupid its getting, how crowded its getting, etc etc.

Catfishing is the lowest barrier to entry for any angling endeavor. Dude could get by with a Zebco 33 and a spark plug for a sinker and do good. Why markets dont like catfishing yet, we are generally not light reachers.

Same as in the Army. Each older group recalls how much tougher and better it was in the old days.

You have just reached the old days based on your time in the sport.

Girls Gone Grabblin does more "awareness" than any online or offline catfishing community could ever do.

Girls in bikinis grabbing catfish will gain massive interest. Luckily for us, most are just curious, watch it for its cool factor, buy some worms, and hit the bank for whatever is biting.

With modern electronics, Google Earth, UTM maps, 1:50,000 detailed maps, there is no secret holes anymore.

The BOC doesn't change, people do. Been proven a hundred times.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    that is the exact reason we do need stiffer penalties and better protection for the fish,because they are getting at least a little more popular.

but most do not have the patience or care to work a little to learn them and their habitats to stick with it.how many times when you were young seen someone catch a good sized fish and almost broke your neck to get to the spot when they left?fished it 2 or 3 times then said the heck with it and go somewhere else?lots of people do the same things.

i do think that people who want to stick with it should put their time on the water and learn it,not just try to take everyone elses spots they worked hard to find.who knows,they might fish different methods and need a different spot to make their style work.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Like an aquaintance told me once.
    'Why do you promote anything? To make a buck off it. Whether you make it from being the promoter or make it from the outfall of the promotion like larger tournament pots."
    He has made it on both ends but now promotes for a living.

I'm all about making a buck myself. No problem with it all here but it is what it is. BASS and the Bass Federation did it with the bass.
    Why the catfish? Catfish tend to get large. People want to see large fish.
    Otherwise you would see a huge promtional effort on the bluegill.

It don't any cheaper then fishing for a bluegill.
    A cane pole, a number 8 wire hook, and a float.

My only concern is this.
    Out of one side of the mouth CPR is preached and the importance of not killing the "bloodline" or "breeders". Out of the other side of the mouth we talk about livewells and hauling these same breeders and bloodlines through alot of stress from livewell to scales.
    Leads me to believe it's not all about the fish. It's how much the fish is worth.

BASS and the Federation wasn't immune to it then and isn't immune to it now.
    Look at how much it costs to fish the top tier in BASS. It's about the money.
    Shaw Grigsby was the first to crack a million in earnings. His favorite fishing isnt even bass fishing. It's red drum fishing. His own words. "Red drum tournaments don't pay near as well as bass tournaments".

Is it really about the catfish or the oppertunity to cash in?

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    very well said mark.but most on here don't even fish tourny's,that i am aware of.but,that is a very good point to ponder.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That is basicly my point.
    Those that just like to fish aren't all into the promoting like the ones that like to tournament fish are.
    The only reason to promote anything is to make a buck.

You can apply that politics, boxing, drag racing, hydroplane racing, football, and fishing. You can apply it to about anything that gets promoted.

That is why you have a difference of opinion in this thread.
    Some peoples only goal is to go fishing while others may have a different set of goals and what catfishing means to them.

Nothing wrong with it in my eyes. Doesn't bother me one way or the other and doesn't effect my fishing one way or the other because I fish where you aint going to be getting anything with a motor on it anyway and aint many folks willing to paddle a snake riddled river in the middle of the night in a pirogue.

If you can make a buck make it but don't make it out of both sides of your mouth. BASS has paid for that very thing over the years.
    Save the bass! Save the bass! Only to go to the lake 2 days later and half of what they weighed in was floating and bloated 2 coves down from the weigh in. Then instead of facing and rectifying the issue they went through decades of denying this ever has happened.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My main gripe is fishing pressure, If I fished from a boat it would not be as bad...But I do think alot of catfish anglers are bank fishermen, especially those new to the sport.

And example, a couple weeks ago I started out at 7 am trying to find a spot to fish, appx 7 hrs later I was back home and did not wet a line.

Every river spot, and lake spot that I knew of was packed with people, and this was a weekday.

I do miss the old days because back then when I left the house to go fishing, I could always find a spot to fish.

But if our sport continues to grow, I hope laws and enforcement of those laws concerning harvest grows along with it.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Well, if you get your butt out of Ohio and down to NC I can put you on a good 20 miles of prime flathead river virtually untouched.
    What gets fished from the bank is around the few bridges. Like I said, aint many folks willing to paddle.
    You 'll never see a bush hook or jug in that 20 miles.

16. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If everone's so worried about the sport growing so much lol Stop putting up pic's of your pb's:wink: And start posting about how sad the fishing is in your area...I can fish 100's of mile's of prime catfishing area's up here and never see another person.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wish we had rivers like that up here..In Ohio you are lucky to find 20 feet of river untouched....Back in May, I was at a public spot on one of our rivers..I stoped counting at 75 people fishing, and most were only a few feet apart.

Getting access to private land is next to impossible, thanks to the slobs that have ruined it for the decent fishermen.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    See I run from public spots. Much of the Neuse river runs through rural NC.
    Solid trees on either side.
    I see other people on the river but they are the yakkers. They don't fish. They just paddle. Once in awhile I'll see someone fishing that has access to land on the river. No big threat because they are few and far between.
    Most people want their outboard motors.

If I break the state record for a flat or a channel. I caught him down there in a part of river where they run the outboards.:wink:

19. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Money? I've just never been in that mindset where I have to be making money for everything I do. Fishing for me is time away, time to kick back and not worry bout anything, including money, just sittin there watching my lines and the river flowin'. Catfishin does for me cause it doesn't have all the typical running of bass or crappie, etc, if you don't want to. I'm just as happy catching one big one as I am catching 10 small ones, or none at all. A lot of people can't understand why a fella would be satisfied to go throught the trouble of riggin the boat, putting out, throw anchor/pull anchor all day, sweating in the sun, gettin all stinky for nothing, but that's me. Even my wife gets that, and it promotes a healthy home for us. I get mine, she gets hers.
    As far as recognition, I feel privileged to live in Missouri with the great Missouri Conservation Department running things. They do recognize the catfish for what it's worth, and they are the only agency that I gladly pay money to for the right to pursue my hobbies.
    Here in KC I don't feel overpressured (yet) because of the amount of water available to fishermen. Bank fishing is different, however, and that is why I have a boat. Most of the time it's just a few of us out there and I'll be lucky to actually see the other persons. With that said, I'm not afraid to share any spot or tip with the next guy. If it helps them out, that's great! Most people asking at the ramp are the people who aren't doing so well or just getting started anyway. Besides, surprisingly enough, Kansas City, founded because of the MO and KS Rivers, has forgotten its' roots and has yet to reap the benefits of its natural assests. A majority of the people in this city look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them where I fish. "You actually go out there?! And you eat the fish?!?!" :crazy::smile2:
    So I feel for you guys that have the overcrowding problems and lack of space. All I can say is we got room for ya here, and yes, you can eat the fish (MO side anyways:tounge_out:)

20. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO

THAT WAS WHAT I WAS THINKING. MORE TALK AND MORE PICTURES.THERE WILL BE A LOT MORE IDIOTS OUT THERE. THAT WE DON'T NEED.