Catfish question

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by fowlnfish, Apr 25, 2009.

1. fowlnfish

fowlnfish New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I've been fishing a city pond for catfish. If I tightline circle hooks with crawlers, I can catch little tiny catfish (10-12") all night long from the little cove. Haven't caught one cat out of this pond bigger than a foot, though. Tried crawlers, livers and cutbait.

Is it a good catfishin spot that will produce a bigger fish eventually? Or do I need to move around the pond and find where the bigger ones hang out? Thanks for the help, this is a very helpful site.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. I would move around the pond. Try the deeper water with liver or cut bait.

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Welcome to the BOC! Move around a bit and try larger baits.

4. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    Try using some small live bream. Hook them the right above the tail fin. Also find some kind of structure near deeper water. If there is a big'un in there, you will find him. The pond is most probably stocked with fingerlings, but you never know

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It may not be a good spot..Though I would try some of the recommendations that everyone has posted about before I move on..Usually when theirs a lot of small fish it will stunt the growth so if all else fails I would find a better fishing hole..

6. fowlnfish

fowlnfish New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Makes sense, I hadn't thought about stockers, I just thought it was the big ones havin babies. :smile2: I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, I guess, this pond is 7 minutes from the house. I did try a different fishin hole yesterday and caught a nice 24" channel on a sunfish so maybe I need to start fishing there.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've learned a bunch at this place so far.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    It depends on how hard the place is fished.If its fished really hard then i wouldnt expect very big ones to be caught,they could be getting caught before they have a chance to grow up.

8. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'd use cutbait. A nice big chunk of it, preferably from a bream or whatever else lives there.

And I'd also remember that there's absolutely nothing wrong with catching numbers of smaller fish.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You might just have a pond full of bullheads.:eek:oooh::sad2:

I know where a few small ponds are that are full of them and not one channel will come out of them.:sad2:

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sounds like everbody's posts are right on track. I definently agree with the pond being stocked with fingerlings. Not to say there's bigger cats in there. Maybe try motivating around the pond, looking for cover. Try some cutbait or livebait. Be patient! It could happen. Good luck. Hope you catcha hog!!

Flamekeepers post on bullheads is a definent possibility too. I've seen it happen at many farm ponds where these little guys can overrun a pond stocked with channels and other fish.

11. fowlnfish

fowlnfish New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks again for all the help guys. My new hole is way better than the one I posted about, I've had 4 nice ones on and landed 2, and only fished there twice. The little city pond is good for crappie and the elusive tiger muskie but I don't think I'm catfishin' there anymore! Plus I can bowfish for carp at the new place.:wink:

12. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    I think Kenny may be right could be full of bullheads and nothing big. We have a few around here like that. I've also heard if you are catching lots of channels there's probably no big flatheads there. Hope this helps

13. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I KNOW HERE IN KANSAS WE HAVE CITY LAKES AND PONDS THAT ARE IN OUR URBAN FISHING PROGRAM - THE IDEA IS TO STOCK EATING SIZE FISH ON A REGULAR BASIS TO MAKE FISHING ACCESSABLE TO THOSE THAT USUALLY WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO FISH OTHERWISE - IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A FEW FRESH FILLETS SOUND LIKE THIS WOULD BE THE TICKET - I WOULD CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL DEPT. OF WILDLIFE AND SEE IF THEY'RE NOT DOING SOMETHING SIMILAR - A LITTLE BAIT IS ALOT CHEEPER THAN FISH AT THE MARKET - PLUS IT'S ALWAY FUN TO CATCH THEM EVEN IF THEY'RE SMALLER - ULTA LITE TACKEL MAY BE A WAY TO MAKE THIS BODY OF WATER A LITTLE MORE INTERTAINING THOUGH:wink:

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    good luck Matt on that elusive big kittie:wink: