Catfish Preservation

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by jfwillia1998, Sep 28, 2006.

1. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Hey everybody,

Just had a thought I wanted to throw out there. While we may have our differences of opinion on the various methods of catching catfish (i.e. rod/reel, jugging, etc.), I think we all agree that we want to see their populations stay healthy, produce big fish, and so on. So I was thinking that one possibility would be to get a large number of NC catfish anglers to sign a petition (for lack of a better term) requesting that the state look at making cats a game fish with size and creel limits. I know there will be arguments as to what those limits should be, but we need a starting point. While I can't make it to the NC gethering due to work, I thought that would be a good place to get something like that accomplished.

Anyway, I thought it was worth putting the idea out there.

John

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I've talked to some people from the state about getting some regulations put on catfish. They said when it starts it will start at Kerr lake. The reason is because VA already has regulations and they will most likey just follow thier lead. From there it will spread through out the rest of the state. As to when this will happen is anyones guess. From what I've seen this past week at BAdin, the bluecats are in pretty good shape as for numbers and size. The same with flatheads. But as everybody knows that can change real quick. If you look at the NC wildlife page there's some people you can contact and making some reguations for catfishing.

3. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    sounds great to me. i think if we all make enough fuss about it and get all on this site to help back us up it can and would be done.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Sounds like a good idea to me!!

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I would sign a petition:big_smile:

6. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That sounds like a great idea to me! I would definatly sign the petition! To many small fish are being kept! Lets get some creel and size limits up and write a petition up... that would be a GREAT idea!

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I think the big fish being kept is the problem, not in all bodies of water though. Some places have hardly any fishing pressure do unless the fish is a true monster keeping it or releasing it does not make a huge difference. It's almost always a good thing to keep small fish, there is usually too many of them in a body of water and thinning them out helps the trophy population in most cases.

8. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ok as someone was sayin that we would probly end up with viriginas regulations well here they are.

Channel, White and Flathead
    1. 20 per day
    no length limit

Blues
    1. 20 per day
    only one blue cat
    longer then 32 inches

yellow, brown, black, and snail bullheads
    1. No daily limit
    no length limit

These look fine except i think we should think of a length limit for Channels, whites and flatheads. so we'll have to all weigh in on that subject.

9. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't think it will ever happen they don't have the peaple to do the job .Around the neuse the only time I see the man is when the shad run.They might do more in the lakes

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    That Would Be Great NC Brothers, We Have Already Got That Started Here In TN And VA.