Catfish ponds.

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Leslerre, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    I stocked my small catfish pond 8 yrs. ago with about 800 fish. After a year they would come up to my feeder in swarms. I stopped feeding for a while and they no longer come up for feed. The large ones are impossible to catch. There has been very little fishing and no varmints are in the ponds. Can anyone help or advise?
    Warm regards,
    Ron

Mac-b and Catpaw like this.
  2. Khh27

Khh27 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    What would they be naturally feeding on in there? Any other fish species or minnows? Bugs, frogs? What species of catfish. What do you catch the smaller ones on? Do you see large ones?

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    800 fish is a big number for a "small catfish pond". Were they all the same size when put in there?

Mac-b, Catpaw and twaskom like this.
  4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    yep, could be over populated and they have depleted the natural food source in the pond.

vortex, banjoer, Mac-b and 2 others like this.
  5. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    800 is a very big number. I am curious what the acreage of the pond is? And have you stocked any minnows for the channels to feed on. That many channels would need a lot to eat.

Mac-b, Catpaw and wolfman like this.
  6. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    You might try hand feeding them for awhile and as you walk up to the pond stomp your feet as you walk up to the pond.If any catfish remain it want be long if you do this regular that when they feel you coming you will see them coming by their waves in the water. Once you get them feeding again then fish about a foot under the food. I do this with my GrandKids they like to march up to the pond when the catfish feel the vibration they are waiting.

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If they were different sizes they may have fed on themselves.

Mac-b likes this.
  8. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    I stocked with catfish first, then bream, and then bass 6 months later as advised by salesman. There are no frogs, etc. Lots of small bream around edges. Cannot even catch small catfish now. They did come up when feeder came on. Do not see larger ones. Small 1 acre pond. They have to be there. No way out. 11-12 foot deep in places.

9. vortex

vortex Twirlygig

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Luke
    Have you ever taken any out to eat? If you don't, you'll end up with stunted growth and small fish.

10. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    I realize now that was way too many stocked. Yes, all were same size. Also put bream in same time, and bass 6 months later.

11. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    Yes, We've taken fish out to eat after a year or so. 1-2-3 lbs. But they will not come up now. Small ones would come up for bread only 4 months ago. Now nothing but small bream.

12. Khh27

Khh27 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    I would think bream first to establish a food source? Could be wrong. Sorry by your original post I figured you were a still catching small ones. How big were they when you stopped feeding them with the feeder? How long did you use the feeder? They still have a good source with bream so there either isn't anymore left or they are good at being hidden. Is there any bass left?

13. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    I agree that it is over populated. Could they be feeding on themselves. Lot's of 2-3 inch bream are around edges. I put bream in also, and bass 6 months later.

wolfman likes this.
  14. Khh27

Khh27 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    Which species of catfish? Channel?

15. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    I used the feeder for several yrs. Started back again 2 month ago. They were good eaten size when I stopped feeding them. Pond is about 1 acre, 12-13 ft. deep in places. I'm sure they are still there, no way out. Found one dead awhile back, 5-6 lbs. Yes, we catch bass, 3-4 lbs.

16. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    Yes, they are channel catfish. Pond is 12-13 ft. deep in places. Just can't catch them. And the little ones no longer come up for feed.

17. Khh27

Khh27 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    What bait have you use to try and catch them on.

18. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    P
    Pond is only about 1 acre. Have not stocked any minnows but I see hundreds around the edges. I stocked with bream at the same time, and bass 6 months later.

19. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie

20. Leslerre

Leslerre New Member

Name:
    Ronnie
    They did come up when they heard the feeder come on. I stopped using it about a year ago. Just recently started back. I will try that. Thank you.