Catfish Poll - which one fights the hardest?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by chrisblue, Apr 12, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Just wanted to put up a poll which of the big three is toughest channel,blue, or flathead.Post your opion.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Toughest fight you mean? Prolly the flathead, but I catch mostly blues. Hard to beat a good ole blue, but them flats get mean!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, not very clear as to what the question is... if you are a noodler, you'd much rather have a flathead any day rather than the same size blue. Those blues are just plain nasty. If your meaning fighting on rod and reel, again, I'd say if the blue and cat was the same size, the blue wins again... but that is just my uneducated guess based on my age and experience. lol

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    actually id have to say pound for pound the channel probably has the better fight.

5. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    In my experince the blues are a much better fight. Cause it seems like the flats are like realling in a log

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've always had a good fight with the Channels, the blue are real good fighters and the flats are just heavy.
    All in all I like fighting with all of them, it's just down right FUN.

AL

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The hardest fighting catfish is any of em you have on in a tournament it seems like they never give up then.I'm gonna have to go with channel pound for pound but a blue is probably strongest in current but in a lake I'd say the channel then flathead then blue.

8. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Blues is my choice

9. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I really like blues but UMMMMMM, I would say flatheads, yellowcats and ops or just flatheads, yellowcats.................

10. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Toughest to catch - Flathead.
    Toughest fighter - blue
    Toughest to keep off my plate - channel:p
    Toughest to find in my area - bullheads :confused:

11. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I think as far as fight I will have to go with the channel.

12. Dav1

Dav1 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would have to go with the flathead as the toughest fighter.

David

13. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    pound for pound.....channels

14. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well pound for pound its the(Smallmouth Bass really) Bluecat. I don't think any cat pulls like a P.O.ed Blue cat. I have caught some big ones that came in like logs though but if he's ticked watch out! See ya on the water!

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Fighting, pound for pound...the channel catfish without a doubt.

Most difficult to target and catch...flathead catfish.

No disrespect to the blue catfish, because the toughest fight I have ever had was from a 33 pounder, but I can not compare it to a 33 pound channel or flathead because I have never caught one that big.

I have caught channels, blues, and flatheads all in the nine pound range and the channel cat put up the toughest fight of all of them. I will say that the blue cat is a lot tougher right at the boat. For me they come in relatively easy until they see the boat, then you earn you fish from there on out!!

I think flatheads are pursued totally different than any other catfish and it is rare for me to stumble on them while trolling or just anchoring for channels and blues. For me it takes different bait and a different hook set to catch them, thought I did catch a small one while trolling this morning. The guys who catch the big ones on a regular basis know what they are doing far better than me!!

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    my opinion would have to be a huge flathead.my biggest was 33.5 lbs and it gave me a heck of a fight!!!

17. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, my largest channle at 22.3lbs didn't fight to hard, in fact I have had carp in the 15lb range fight harder than it. My 42in 30+lb flathead hugged the bottom but got ticked off when he saw me on the bank and I was able to get him with my hands. Tough fighter on the bank. The I had a blue on the line that was larger, probably 40lb range, and it came in slowly then when it saw me it was over, it went down the bank one way then the other, untill my friend grabbed the leader and it straightened the swivel. That said
    Blue cat outfought the flathead, channel in a distant last, but an 8lb channel on ultralight is a blast. For my money though, a huge grass carp will give any fish a run for their money, and they still ahve fight on the bank. I have had grass carp give me tails to the face and I have had toi bear hug them down off rocks. The flathead laid their placidly untill I put him back in the water. I am sure a large flathead could outdo the blue, but I am just going by what I have caught. The flathead is definitly the hardest to locate for me, followed by blues.

18. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    it is without a doubt the blue. think about which one of these fish spends the most time working out? flats like slower water and although channels will get in the current theyt dont live in it like a blue does. blues are BIG RIVER fish. they spend most of their time fighting current. next time you clean one check out all the red in it as opposed to a flat or channel. the red in a fish is actually blood vessels and this is found in more abundance in fish that need more oxygen and stamina. blues are the body builders of the catfish world. they are the hardest fighters.

19. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    I'll 2nd that... :thumbsup:

20. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    I Think Blue Cat Fight Harder Than Flatheads. Blue Cat Fight Hard The Whole Time But When I Hook Into A Flattie They Dont Fight Hard Until Their Stomachs Drag The Bottom. Than They Take Off. Just My Personal Opinion