Catfish Poll - Which catfish puts up the best fight?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by countrycat15, Mar 23, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay everybody heres a quick poll. what kind of catfish(flathead,blue,channal)puts up the best fight in your opinun

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Hands down, the flathead does. Look at the overall shape of the flathead, the wide head which will be harder to pull up through the water. It doesnt have a fork in the tail so with every move of the tail it moves more water than a blue or a channel. The 35lb flathead I caught last november faught harder than the 56lb blue I caught. This is just what I have seen, maybe someone else thinks differently.

3. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of the bigger ones have come during pre-spawn. Hard ta say when some are full of eggs and some aren't. I'll settle for either anytime.

4. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Thats a hard deasion, I have had some Blues and flats fight hard, the blues seem to roll when you get them closer to shore, while the flats just keep a tuggin.

chris

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I would have to say Flats... :)

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    to me a blue cat is a more explosive fish where a flathead is like on constant pull;)

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    for horse power to weight ratio i say hands down the channel wins the battle. but for brut strength you gotta love them flatheads.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    No contest flats hands down they are the KING of cats

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well I would have to say without reservation it would have to be the Flathead!! These are by far the "Strongest and Meanest" fish in the river systems today.
    I like the way they make you think it is over and "WHAM" it starts all over again, LOL!!! I have seen them break rods, Lines and break a heart or two!! I like they way they feel during the fight "The Shear Brute Force" pure unharnessed animal Rage at the end of your line!!!

I hope this answers your Question, LOL!!!

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would have to agree, you think you get the flathead all tired out then he sees the boat or you and he turns it on again, they just dont give up.

11. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    da shovel head

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive caught a lot of flats and channels and pound for pound the flats seem to fight harder in my opinion.

13. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Thats a loaded question! If i had to choose i'd say it would more depend on river conditions and temperature. During the summer the blues wil slam the rods with explosive power! Flats tend to stay in slack water and blues like current. If you hook a big blue in heavy current, you'd better be ready to throw anchor. As far as the which fish, it would have to go to whatevers on my line at the time.:)

14. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Flatheads or by far the strongest. Ever 40 or fifty pound flat head I caught just about pulled me in the river.

15. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Don't hold back! Say what ya mean!

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll have to say a blue cat fights harder. They slam the bait like a mack truck hitting a geo and are off to the races.

17. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The flathead is the best fighter of all the catfish. The way they just pull and pull and the runs they make. A blue or channel will roll and pull but the flathead, you can feel its anger and raw power as it tries to free itself with such determination. I can't wait to get back to Santee or High Rock and hit the flats near the deep water and hook into one.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm voting Flathead however we don't have Blues in Pa. so I don't have that experience to fully base my opinion on!

19. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its kind of a toss up, but I would have to say the Flathead, because I havent really caught a blue over 10 lbs yet.

20. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Flatheads pull alot harder i think :)