catfish pole set ups

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by b.ries, Jan 11, 2010.

1. b.ries

b.ries New Member

State:
    Ohio.
    Hey guys i was just wonering what some of your favorite pole set ups were. I have a 7"6 medium hard catmaxx with a mega cast baitcaster made from basss pro.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC! I have several set ups but I like a medium heavy action rod matched with a baitcaster. There are many different setups for different kinds of catting, from ultralight fishing for small channels to some pretty stiff gear and 100lb line for dragging big Flats from heavy cover. Once again, welcome.

3. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    So far my favorite is an Abu 6600C LD on a Tangling with Catfish rod.I fish for all cats including channels and this seems to work good.Still light and sensitive but has enough backbone to handle a big flattie or blue.Have three of their rods all are paired with abu's in the 6500-6600 size.All spooled with 60 pound braid.

4. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Welcome to the BOC. Sounds good, I have never been able to work a bait caster without F'n it up real bad & wasting a ton of line so I use spinning reels. I have 4 reels on 2 completely different rod types, this is due to the types of fishing I do Here in the Tri-Cities area of Washington, steelhead/bass/sturgeon/trout/catfish. I have 2 Okuma Helix II H-40's that I got for Steelhead fishing strung with 30# braid on a Med action 8'6" Tika Salmon/Steelhead rod, then I recently picked up 2 -9' MH Whuppin Sticks and put 2 Okuma Avenger 55's on em & strung with 50# braid. I do have some 7' Med shakespear rods in the shed & have 2 -6' Med action Ugly sticks with Shakespear Catera 35's on em with 20# braid. So far the Ugly Sticks have been great for some of the bobber fishing we do for cats on the flats where they spawn near my place, got the big rods for casting into the Columbia from the bank, I do have my sights on a few bigger Okuma reels & some 8' heavy rods but that will have to wait till I get some $$ saved up.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site. Likesaid, there are many different options available, many rods with different actions, reels with different line capacity, line, etc. My advise is find a setup you are comfortable with for "HOW" you fish! Most understand what I am talking about, but, you need to have a setup for how you are targeting them. Nothing worse than being in a situation where you are not comfortable with the gear in my opinion! Myself, I prefer a 7-8 ft. med/heavy action rod, garcia reels, and big game mono in the 30-40lb. range. To be specific, 7' 6" St. Croix, Garcia 7000..Goodluck and welcome again...rollo

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    My flathead poles I run are 7'6" and I run Abu 7000s with line from 40# to 96#. I like the heavy line and the strong drags of the 7000s, makes it easier to rip a flathead out of cover. I agree with Rollo though, use want your comfortable and confident with. You might change setups 3 or more times till you find what you like the best! Good Luck!

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Reps to ya rollo!!!...I like ym 7000 but i dont like the rod i have it on..I bought it so i will have a rod to take out till i get my Tangling With Catfish rod...I got a 8ft. Heavy action wuppin stick..

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome aboard...... that question will net you as many different answers. I prefer the one piece 7' catmaxx rods(mainly for the price) they have been durable though. I use 6000 garcias for reels. I wish I could afford 7000's but they are pricey.

9. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. You'll find a nice home here. With plenty of Brothers and a very knowledgeable data base on catching any species of catfish.

I have numerous Spinning Outfits as well as a Abu 7000B on a Medium Heavy 8' rod. But plan on getting another Quantum Heavy rod for it. Spinning outfits I have and hold up well are a couple of Berkley Fusion 205's on 7' Medium Heavy rods. Which brought in my 39 inch 32 # Flathead on. A Zebco Hawg Seeker combo 7' Medium Heavy rod, Ol' lady got me 2 Xmas's ago. 2 Spinning Outfits for catching bait. A Mitchell Phazer combo, Mitchell Phazer PH1C00 reel on a Mitchell 602 6' Medium rod, and a Shakespeare Ultralight combo, reel Sigma Supra RT long cast on a Sigma Supra RT SSS 2502 4'6" Ultralight rod.

Also have a small Quantum Baitcaster Combo I snagged out of Dillon Spillway. That was probably only in the water a day or 2. Jig on it had not even started to rust yet. Looked like it backlashed on somebody and they just got mad and tossed it in the water. Nephew is using it at the moment, along with 2 more of my Spinning Outfits.

Got all that and feel I still don't have enough gear... lol...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bank fish only, and in alot of my spots long cast are needed to hit prime spots.

I use mostly 12 foot rods, american spirit nite sticks, and ugly stik big waters.

I use abu garcia baitcating reels, in the 6500 series, also 6600 series...My favorite reels are the abu record high capacity " same size as a 6500" and the abu 6500 big game, which has the duel casting controls.

For line, I like vicious off shore in 30-lb test, and big game in 25 -lb test...My leaders are the same as my main line.

I use only gamkatsu 8/0 circle hooks, and I also use size 1/0 berkly Mc mahon swivels, which are just a standard barrel swivel.

For sinkers, I like the no rolls, and bank sinkers...And use them in sizes of 3-ounces up to 8 ounces.

With the 12 foot ugly stick big water I have in extra heavy action, I can cast 2 8ounce sinkers and a big shad head quite a distance.

If I am fising spots where I dont have to cast far, I have 7foot 6 inch quantum big cat rods.

11. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Give me about ten years and I will tell you what my favorite is. Right now I use so many set ups I have not a clue which one I would take if I only had one choice. I do not fish for only big flats or blues, I fish for different sizes at different locations as well as different techniques which some times require different rods. In my opinion the same rods don't always work well for even the same techniques. When I drift lakes I pull the bait a hundred feet behind the boat with just enough weight to keep the bait on bottom, I like a pole with a very soft tip so that even small fish can load the rod. When drifting the river I suspend or barely bump bottom and like a pole with a stiffer tip that will load through out the whole length of the rod as most of the time I am fishing for bigger fish. Just the way I do things but I am sure that you will find that almost every person will like different things.

12. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I use 7 foot 6 inch quantum big cat rods with 7000s and 80 pound power pro braid with a 40 pound berkley big game leader when fishing 4 flatheads and 4 blues i use 7 foot 6 inch berkley e cats mh with 6500s 80 pound power pro and 40 pound berkley big game leader i have some cat max rods with6500s i use to just depends on what and how im fishing

13. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    zebco 33 40lb braid and 10 spare 33's for parts. oh and a pinnacle inertia on an ugly stick and a rhino rod and reel. (who needs those fancy set-ups) WELCOME TO THE USCA. if you love fishing you will love this place

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    welcome to the BOC!!! My three favorite set ups are 7'6 Catmaxx Rod with 6500 Pro Rocket Reel, 10ft Catmaxx Rod with 6500 Pro Rocket Reel, and 8 ft Catmaxx Rod with 6000 Penn Live Liner

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,like rollo said,so many different fishing scenarios and preference it can be mind boggling.

I have rods laying around that I thought I would like and they are in the corner put up.

For bank fishing a have my baby, a 12 foot master custom striker with a 6600. usually run 30 pound line.
    I also have a 10 foot nite stick with a shimano calcutta attached to it.

my channel outfits consists of two 9 foot master custom strikers and either millionaire 2's or shimano 3500 baitrunner spinning reels. the reels used depends on where,how and also how far i have to cast to fish.

Now I am currently working on some boat rods, seems like it never ends lol..

16. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    abu 7000 an 6 6 diewa beef stick rod .i run 100Lb masons bigcat line .go big or go home lol

17. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the site Brother

18. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    all of my cat outfits are Abu 6000 reels on Shakespeare Ugly Cat Rods (white) 6 ft 6 inch MH action !!!

19. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i like to use my trusty ol snoopy pole and then sometimes a spongebob pole.:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

my setup i'm working on now is a penn 209 reel on a ugly tiger rod with berkley big game in 25lb test with 50lb leader and a big ol 10/0 trophy cat hook with no roll sinkers