Catfish or gar

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Rmills, May 2, 2006.

1. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    how do you tell the difference in bites from gar and catfish? something lately has been giving me good runs lately and but when i pick the rod and pull back the bait pulls out. what confuses me is every five runs or so i catch a catfish. i am just wondering if some of the runs are Gar?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    gar will run very, very fast when taking your bait.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rmills, what size are the cats that you are catching. I have noticed the same thing lots of times, just to finally get lucky and catch a dink. Although it very well could be gar. Also with gar a lot of times they will put slack in your line, then you tighten it and they will slack it again. Try taking a piece of staging about three or four inches long and tie it through your hook eye. Then kinda unravel the end of the staging so that it is frayed. If it is a gar you will catch him with this method, because he will get the staging stuck in his teeth. Also it shouldn't effect you catching cats. Vern

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I have been experiencing some of the same lately. In my case, i believe sometimes the bites have been from gar. I hooked one of the fish and it immediately cut my line...so i'm guessin it had to be a gar. I keep relatively new line on all my rigs and ALWAYS check for fraying/nics before i cast out.

I don't really want to reel in a gar anyways...don't like those fish! But they are neat looking. My father caught a 2-3 foot gar on a little crawdad crankbait this weekend. We thought he had a good largemouth on at first, until it got to the boat.

cyas
    rc

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    When I am fishing off of a gravel bar I prop my poles up on the edge of a bucket. I can tell it is a gar when the rods pull completely off of the bucket. What I have noticed with cats is that they give a series of short jerk. Well that is what I have noticed until I grab the rod and jerk like a madman.
    :0a9:

6. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, alot of the runs are gar. Where I fish during the month of late may and early june the gar stack up with the catfish. can't let my bait site for more than 7 or 8 minutes and then the gar run with the bait and they run with the bait like someone would run if the police are chasing them lol. Out of every ten runs I catch a channel catfish. That area you are fishing is holding a lot of channels probably but they do not have time to get to the bait because the gar just tear it up first.

7. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    If you will examine your bait (cut bait) closely, you will see teeth marks on it if it's gar. The river I fish is loaded with gar and they seem to pester me more in slow to no current spots that spots with current. At any rate, when I get a good run and no hook-up's I always examine the bait very closely. Normally when that is happening, its gar. Turtles sometimes will give you a lettle fit too.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Gar in my experience just hit and run like mad. Cats will play a bit or tap then slam it. Gar are like hooking a passing freight train. I have chased several poles down the bank when gar hit the baits. I like the gar eggs for cat bait tho. They really love those egg sacks.

9. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It may be my imagination, but it seems like gar stack in a layer. Sometimes you can get a little deeper than they are and avoid them.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    One interesting thing;someone said the Gar stack up with the catfish in May and June.From what I've read and heard from many guides is the catfish are actually stacking up under the Gar which are spawning at that time.They gorge on the the free falling gar eggs.I'm told there used to be a good pattern on Santee of fishing along the riprap on Marion as the gar would spawn along there and the cats would follow.:smile2:

11. Rmills

Rmills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the thing is when the blue cats i caught bit they bought took the rod out of the boat. it seems that i catch more cats when the current is stronger.

12. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I caught three gar last year total. I watched what they did close and it wasn't at all like a fast run. More like they were swiming in a circle. One of them made about a 10ft run then came towards the bank, back out, bank,,,etc. That was about the hardest hitting one out of the three. They can swim FAST!!! One way to tell for sure if it's gar hitting is to look over your line real good about 12" up from the hook. The line will look like someone took a wire brush to it. Make sure and re-tie your hook. I have heard you can tie on a piece of yarn along with your hook and bait and that will get them, like said above. I keep every gar I catch:big_smile:

13. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That depends on what you are using for bait. I saw that someone else said that gar tend to run fast with a bait. I was goping to say just the opposite, I think they tend to go very slowly for alittle bit and then usually drop the bait - maybe it's different kinds of gar or different environments, etc.

If you are talking live baits, like live bluegills, then a lot of times smaller (like under 10 pounds) blue and channle cats will pick up the bait, carry I a short distance and then drop it. A good give away is to look at the bait afterwards. If a gar had tghe bait, then it will have little pin prick holes and some slices in it. Blue and channel cats like to crush the bait, so you will get back a sunfish with a lot of the scales missing and a crush mark accross the middle, but very few or no cuts. Flatheads just generally pick up a bait and get the whole thing in their mouth all at once. I have had flatheads do the kind of "mouthing" thing, though, when they are not really hungry - like in cold water.

14. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    a gar will take your bait and stop to chew on it and tear it up, then they will take it some more, its real jerky feeling when the rods in your hand.
    what i do is switch bait. like use a bigger blue gill, and maybe bring it closer to the bank for flathead. or if im using shad, go deeper

15. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jarrod, Give this a try, when you get a hard run, let it go, it will stop, then wait a few min.s, if its a gar it will ease off again but not as fast, set the hook and have fun.....

16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Jarrod if you talking about Monticello I dont think theres any gar in there thats just one of the millions of small blues trying to get the bait in his mouth.I've caught 10 inch blues on 7 to 8 inch herring before out of there, in that lake they got to get a meal when they can because it'll be gone if they dont.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well here is another question asked with no simple answer.lol The experiences I have had with gar go something like this. When the gar move in I get no cats! period. The gar in the Belleville Pool on the Ohio, hit live bait hard and fast, then they start spinning. Man the fight is a great one if they are big enough, but the bad thing is you get your line back only if you can unwrap it! and that is hard to do in the dark and them having all of those teeth! lol

18. Dolomite

Dolomite New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Haven't caught many GAR this year... heading up to Gavin's Point DAM in SD at the end of the month, I'm quite sure GAR will be caught up there!! I'm more of a CAT man... and I hope more Walleye are caught up in SD than GAR.

My 2 cents. :cool2:

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We Have Lots Of Gar Here, It Has Been My Experience That When The Gar Take The Bait They Go Off With It Very Slowly, When the Line Gets Really Tight The fight Is On.

If I Want To Be Really Sure What It Is, I'll Switch To A #6 Treble, If Its A Gar You'll Usually Hook Them That Way. As Someone Else Mentioned, When The Gar Are Present, The Cats Are NOT:sad2: , Elliot

20. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was fishing Bubba Jugs turney a couple of years ago At Birdsong on the Tennessee and I don't remember the mans name that was running it but he was saying that 1 gar can eat 3 times it's weight in gamefish a day, very bad for the overall fish population...