Catfish on top?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by miichael, Sep 8, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do catfish really bite on top of water? Reason I'm asking is i was fishing a lake last night and the water was about 14ft deep and i was throwing 2oz sinker with cut shad. Some guys pulled up and started throwing out jugs and the current pulled on in my line so i had to reel it in. The guys had cut shad on there jugs about 2 ft deep. Is it good cat fishing at the top? or is it better on bottom? We caught about 40 fish on bottom and i dont know what they caught. I heard them talking and they was talking about fish on the jugs and ever now and then they would crank up and go after a jug.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Yes cats will and do bite on top. I catch most of my channels under a slip float set at less than 2 ft. Almost all my Flatheads are under a float also.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I see a lot of guys fishing 2-4 foot deep under a bobber and catching fish. I fish under a bobber but at least 6 foot unless I am in shallow water drifting the bait through some stumps are riprap.

4. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Do you catch bigger fish on bottom or on top? See the lake i fish i know theres some 12-18lb channel cats in there but all i ever catch is 5-8 and every now and then get a 10. My biggest was a 12lb channel but i know of some 18-20lb channels. i fish carolina rig 2oz no roll with 14inch leader mostly use cut shad.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've caught some nice flats fishing 2-3' deep under a slip bobber and also caught several on bottom.I guess it just depends on where their feeding at that night.

6. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    A place I used to fish a few years back, we were there and there was an old guy fishing there also. We were fishing like normal, on bottom and getting hung up like crazy.
    he asked us if we would like to know the secret of fishing there, we said sure we would?

He told us to take everything off the line but a hook and put a piece of worm on it and toss it out as far as you could and real it in slowly?

We thought he was nuts, but decided to try it any way, and it worked.
    We were catching them like crazy. They weren't monsters, but they went a couple pounds or so.

This place is on the opposite side of the bridge where we fish now. We still fish there once in a while in the day time, but there are too many snakes for me.
    But, this is a good area to fish when they are spawning.

Ken

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When i lake fish i tend to get more and larger cats on a slip bobber... fishing about 3 feet deep... but in the river i fish heavy cover on the bottom....

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    While my biggest fish usually are from the bottom, I get lots of 3-5 lb ones on my float rigs. One area I sometimes fish is very shallow, 1-4 ft. But, its productive, especially on overcast days after a couple of days of rain that cools the lake. While I've mostly fished it on bottom, the catfish bring the fight to the top, they have no where to dive. It great fun watching them twist and turn, try to run in one direction, then the other. And, most of them are 4-5 lb fish.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well as a rule I usually have the best luck on the bottom but I have actually caught little bullheads on topwater jitterbugs in shallow water! Really surprises ya' too! LOL :cool2: