Catfish on the Potomac River - Have Mackeral for catfish bait

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Oct 10, 2005.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Anybody here fish the Potomac river . I fish form D.C down to smallwood lots of nice size blues . show out pic's tell your storys let everybody see them big blues.

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i fish the potomac a little, not too much success... a few decent channels (5-8#) but no big blues.... don't have a boat sturdy enough for the potomac (canoe) to get out to where they really are...

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well I think you can still found blues without going way out there. I have had many in the 20 to 30 lb class this year in last 7 ft of water. Them big boys will come up on the flats to eat too. We have had alot on chicken hearts and cut shad. where do you fish at maybe i can point out a good spot.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    usually when i go down to the potomac im fishing fletchers or across on the VA side at the pier at Jones Point. i keep meaning to head down off the C&O by Glen Echo but just never have gotten down there w/ my rods...

I think my biggest problem is bait... i've caught some decent channels off of Jones Point w/ chicken liver and also off of Fletchers but no blues not even on fresh herring...

I need to get down there soon before the blues hit the deep holes and see if i can't catch a decent sized one. *sigh* i just really need to get a boat so i don't have to worry about if they are near shore or not...

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well next time you get down that way try some Mackerel for cut bait. The blues same to really hit great on that up that way. I do lot with chicken hearts down there too had a 51 lb blue on a chicken heart. Cut shad and herring works feb to april then seems to drop off up that end of the river. Seems like to bigger cats move on down the river after april. Every now and then i haer of somone up that way hooking a nice size cat But i hook them eevery trip from the airport down to smallwood . I have had a cats over 18 lbs everytime trip but two this season. So 18 out of 20 so far i been lucky biggest for the year was 52.6 in march and 5 over 50 lbs this year.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    when do you start seeing the bigger blues come back up to the middle potomac area? (basically around DC area)

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey I'm 15 yr old and live in NC. But I go to D.C. area alot to visit family. Mostly around Fairfax, Va. which is not too far away from DC though.
    Is there any good bank spots around Fairfax, and is there any good spots to catch bait around there.....Shad, herring, etc ???

Thank's and good luck.

Zakk.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey guys sorry i took so long to get back to you. The big boys are moving in to deeper water now. I was out today water was 56 to 59 and had two nice runs but new guy out with me didn't set hook. lots of shad around to banks with loads of smaller cats there. We had 24 under 5 lbs when we moved out to deep off from 7 ft to 30 ft we had a 10 14 17 all blues and he lost two.
    And i would say that anywhere you can get to the river that has some deeper water will be good. Katmaster jr i would try cut shad or mackerel is better I think there are some fish markets down that way that would have fresh mackerel. look at a river map around where your fish. Try to find the drop off or deeper water around therethat the spot to fish all winter up untill march when they start back out again
    kat when you get down that way again let me know ahead of time if i'm free that day I can come down to fish with you and maybe help you out some.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the info man, and next time I'm over that way again, Ill let you know.

good luck :)

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    tim you wouldn't happen to know any deep holes off the top of your head that are within casting distance of the shore, would you? its not too safe taking a relatively unstable canoe on to the potomac. Especially in much wider areas of the river. Not to mention the water temp is dropping fast recently.

11. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    I'm sure Tim knows of a few but I go to Ft. Washington quite a bit and have noticed that you could cast out from the lighthouse there at the park. The depth off the rocks runs about 45ft if you get a decent cast. Beware of the current there as it moves fast as the water goes around the point. I've seen alot of bait and of course cats off that point on my depthfinder off my boat. The smaller blues (1-5lbs) seem to suspend where the bait is while the bigger fish hold off the bottom, about 5ft and under. I use fresh river chubs for cut and live bait...my biggest was 30.2lbs on a live chub about 6 inches long, fished on an outgoing tide at 50 feet right along the channel.

12. Bunker Dunkers

Bunker Dunkers New Member

State:
    College Park
    Tim,

My son and I fish mostly the same waters as you, but also include the lower Anacostia. We haven't score any huge ones yet but we're working on it.

KatmasterJr,

Once you hit 16 and need to buy an out of state license, D.C. has the best bargain going @ $10. Some shore spots with access to Blues in D.C. are Haines Point and Anacostia Park.

Good luck,
    Bob

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey Bunker You Guys Fish From The Shore Or Of A Boat? Let Me Know Maybe I Can Put You In A Better Spot? What Is Your Biggest So Far My Blue Is 52.6 With 5 Over 50. And What Bait Are You Useing For The Cats?

14. Bunker Dunkers

State:
    College Park
    Tim,

Mostly, we fish from a crowded 14'jonboat w/ a 9 hp motor which I rack on the top of my truck. This kinda limit access to some of the bigger water as the temperature drops. Thanks for the offer on the better spots, but don't give away any secret spots. :^) And we just started fishing specifically for Blues this year. I don't carry a scale (hopefully will after Christmas), but the biggest one we've caught was a little bigger than this one, unfortunately the batteries were dead in the camera when the biggest one was caught.
    "img" tags didn't work and don't see a button for posting picts, but here's the link to "jr" biggest
    http://users.erols.com/pittcon/Anacostia102905A.jpg
    Yeah, I had visited your webpage and you do right well on the poundage for your clients and yourself. You sure do know your stuff. As for bait, we use cast netted (MD waters, can't in DC) Herring and Mud Shad when they are running in the Spring, then switch to store bought "bunker" once that runs out. Also live Blugills and Shiners. As a ice fisherman, I'm hoping these rivers freeze solid this year and I can pull one thru the ice.

Thanks for the response.
    Bob

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    hey bunker try some cut mackerel they really love that stuff , chicken hearts on 3/0 hooks alots of nice sizes fish. And danny king's catfish bait will put loads of cats in the boat. As for the fishing holes its not my river i just enjoy fishing it and if i can help you enjoy it i will. Maybe we can meet sometime down there and show you around some better spots that you can get too. And show you first hand dannys bait at work after you see it work your sold. The fish looks like around the 18 to 20 lb blues i catch alot of them amost every trip . Well just let me know when your out there sometime we can go over something i do that work great here and run you two out and hit some holes for fun. Maybe get you guy in on the ACATS tournaments in maryland next season.

16. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's for the info :) I will keep that in mind.

17. Bunker Dunkers

State:
    College Park
    I'm sold. Just bought bought a quart of the Danny Kings Catfish Bait (non-garlic) from your e-bay store, and am looking forward to trying it out. Thanks too for the estimated weight on "jr"s fish. Look forward to running into on the water one of these days, or if you see two guys icefishing up your way on Greenbrier that look like us, introduce yourself.

Bob

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well thanks Bob I hope to hit the water sunday morning around 7 and will be out untill around 3 or so. If you guys are around there give me a call 301-418-3967 is my cell. Got some great holes in some back water spots great for smaller boat. I will get the bait right out to you in morning and lets everybody here know how you do with it pic's would be great too need some for web site about the bait.

19. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    I'm gonna be hitting Greenway tomorrow morning in my buddies new boat...will let you know how good (or bad) we did. ;)

20. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey photocat sorry i missed your post i would try down river from fletchers between there and three sister rocks there is some rocks out in the water in th middle of the river. on the upper side of them about 15 feet out from the bank it drops off to about 20 feet. on the VA side its like 50 feet there i fish the drop off there around 8 to 12 feet off the bank. cut shad, cut mackerel, chicken hearts and dany kings baits have all put blues over 20 lbs in the boat

down river on the VA side under the key bridge there a rock wall and the old bridge pile between the two you have 15 to 20 feet of water lots of nice cats hang in there two

the greogetown side of the roseavelt island you can hit the main river channel easy there are some rocks you can get on to fish windy days i hang out up there it can be very good for channels and some nice blues at times

Columbia island marina holds lots of cats year around stay back in marina up river where the floats are it will drop form 3 to 9 feet i fish the upper side right at drop off out going tide they will kill anything in the water. Below the boats right before the bridge you can hit some very nice blues in that channel on cut bait

try them out and see if you can't hit some big old blues there just remember who told you :D and dont keep more then you can eat i use them spots for hard windy days on the water. let me know how you do and see ya on the river sometime