Catfish On the Fly

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by clay_sosu, Mar 5, 2009.

1. clay_sosu

clay_sosu New Member

State:
    texas
    Has anyone tried fly fishing for catfish.Ive been considering doing this for a couple of years but the only ways I know to catch catfish involve pretty heavy weights, at least heavier than you could cast with a fly rod. Not looking to catch monsters this way although my grandfather did catch a 54# blue on a fly rod back in the 50's. Where would a person start if they wanted to catfish this way? Thanks for any tips! I'm fairly proficient with a fly rod mainly need help with bait selection and locations!

2. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    I'm going to try a woolly bugger dipped in some stink bait this spring... I figure a beadhead and the dip will make it a bit heavy, so it'll be more of a lob cast...If anybody knows where I could find red woollies on a #2 hook, I'd be awfully thankful...So far I've got black, brown and olive ones from my trout stuff, but they seem a bit small...

3. Richmond River Rat

Richmond River Rat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i know a guy that holds the world record for fly fishin flatheads. he helped me with my new compound bow. he live in VA and works the local Green Top bait shop. one of which i belve was a 30lb flattie with a 4lb test fly leader!

4. clay_sosu

clay_sosu New Member

State:
    texas
    Ive seen several red wooly buggers available on line but since Ive started tying my own flies I haven't really been looking in the stores. I could definitely tie some but getting them to VA might be a trick! Thanks for the tips though...also what weight fly rod should I use for cats?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard of some people catching cats on a fly rod around the bluffs above Pickwick dam on the Tennessee River in the springtime. Seems like anytime/anywhere they're feeding shallow, you could catch them with a homemade dipbait fly. Just wind some pipe cleaner around a hook and dip it in the pot. Maybe shake it off a bit more than you usually would.