Catfish on fly rods?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by blindfly69, Jul 6, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my uncle was talkin the otherday about cattin with a fly rod and after the initial shock wore off..........i think that with sinking line and wet flies.......this may actually be accomplished. what do you think? i might give it a try here soon

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

anything is possible. Is he going to dip his flies in any scent are just site fish?

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think he's just gonna sight fish....he is really big into saltwater flyfishing

4. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    Try a leader with a float on it and a gob of worms. When I was a kid my dad would let me fish with his in my grandparents lakes and ponds. A 5# chanel on a fly rod with a 6 to 8# tipit is a blast. :big_smile:

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    we get them all the time here in Ohio on the bigger rivers below the dams, all summer we get channels mostly on Wolley Buggers, Stone Flies, Hellgramite and crawfish patterns. Check out this article I wrote on Catfishing with the fly rod. I submitted it for the library here but never heard if it made it.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/tailwater_catfish.htm

Salmonid

6. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Neat article, I have been thinking about a fly rod for bait never thought about it for cats though.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Its very possible... i got an 8 wt fly rod just for that actually... There was an article in all places a flyfishing magazine about a guy who goes and does it... Now this mag came out i want to say 8 years ago so i don't recall specifics but basically shad patterns and fairly heavy weight line and it'll work...

It won't be as productive as chicken livers or anything like that because catfish are smarter then to really take a fly or artificials.. (Why do you think we fish with live and cut bait and not lures like the ba$$ guys) but it'll be a nice fight with those you do hook into...

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats an awesome idea! Maybe a class V or IV sinking line with a fairly "stout" leader, maybe a strike indicator over a worm... oh the possibilities.. Might try it tomorrow cause I'm going camping! Let cha' know how I made out and what "rig" is working. I'm like macgyver with flyline setups!

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think it would be fun just to say that you've caught a cat on a fly rod and if ur gettin tired of sittin around waitin for a bite you can move a lil bit.....could you imagine hookin into a 10lb channel on a fly rod? lol that would be a heckuva fight

10. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I have several fly rigs but the one that I got for cats is an ugly stick 12 wt I haven't caught a big cat but I have hooked up several large gar with it. I use large minnow salt water flies wading or from boat in tailraces sems like a good application.

11. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have caught alot of channels on my 12' crappie pole fishing minnows fishing for crappie. The biggest one I have landed is 14 pounds but a five pounder will give you all of the fight you want on a crappie pole. A 12 ' crappie rod is not much diffrerent than a fly rod. I would imagion any fly that resembles a minnow would work well. I catch a number of channels on ultra light rigs also. A 2 pound channel will put up a great fight on an ultra light. It is a sporting way to catch channels.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I fun fished for years with a fly rod and a ultra-lite to lite spinning or trigger spin reel.You don;t have to learn to cast a fly.Also.Carry the reel with you when fly fishing.You can often save the day by swapping reels and methods,when the fish won;t cooperate.peewee-williams