CATFISH ON FISH FINDERS

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catoon, Dec 24, 2008.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    do diffrent cat fish look diffrent on fish finders?

2. Live2Fish.Fish2Live

Live2Fish.Fish2Live New Member

State:
    Dickson,Tennessee
    Not on ours. Maybe they will come out with one that shows whiskers! LOL!

We usually just look on the screen for one big fish on the bottom in front of or behind a hump or some structure. Then we go up stream about 45 yds, anchor off, and cast back into the hole with every pole we have. We have put some bigguns in the boat doing this.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    sometimes you can tell cats from scale fish by the arches on the screen cats will have a dull point scaled fish will have sharp points kind of hard to explain if they are on bottom look for small humps near the bottom around sand bars and deep points

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
  5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I say different species, I mean in the cats... Haven't seen blues much on the sonar due to where I live and fish, but I can't distinguish between the channels and the flatheads much, other than the channels sometimes group up and suspend during the daytime more in open water, or away from structure often. The flats usually are holding closer to rock or timber, or some type of dips or humps deflecting current often in deeper water. rollo

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    now you boys pay close attention to that article.. eric know his stuff on them fishfinders pretty good.. that is a great post to learn from!!

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Merry Christmas Adam...:big_smile: rollo

8. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    same to you rollo... you ice fishing yet?:big_smile:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I doubt most folks can tell a catfish from any other fish on a sonar unit, much less one species of catfish from another one.

What usually happens is someone sees and arch, and if they catch a fish, that arch becomes whatever fish they catch. If they don't catch a fish, then the arch was not a catfish, or the fish are not biting!

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Okay, along the same lines of this thread. I have read that using fish ID symbols is not the way to go and instead to use raw sonar? I know that one of the things that Humminbird claims is that their finders have a more "selective" process for identifying fish...from other clutter in the water. Does anyone have any input on this?

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    [most people] no they probably cant.. but with a sonar unit with enough power and a high resolution screen atleast 480x480 pixels and a little education you CAN tell the difference from a catfish and a scaled fish!! for an exampe you can run the x135 over a school of crappie or bass in a willow bush or suburged tree top and see all the long bow echo arches and run over a hole full of catfish or spoonbill and see the heave solid 1/4 moon shaped arches without the echos... the way we drift here on the river with the lines directly under the boat, and watch the fish hit the bait it is easy to tell the difference between the catfish coming up and looking at the baits and the carp in the same picture that dont give a second look at a piece of skipjack!! if you havent used this method of targeting catfish you just may be setting up on a big school of carp that you think are cats!!!:crazy::big_smile::big_smile:

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i never use fish id when catfishing but my lowrance unit did show way more clutter that my 997 humminbird..

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Heck! For as much money as you invested, it better not show so much!!:big_smile:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no good ice here yet.. I will be at em asap.. lol...rollo

15. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Well I got some confirmation on this one. I got out yesterday just to mess around with my new boat. I was using the finder on the boat and noticed that I was marking good number of fish using the "Fish ID". Once I turned it off and used the raw sonar, I whent back over the same spots and got nothing. Good stuff to know!