Catfish on artificial baits?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Moonlightn, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    I'm curious as to how many of you have caught catfish on lures. I use to live close to a fairly productive river in Kansas. One day while catching white bass my friend hooks a 8lb. blue on a 1/4 oz. roadrunner. I thought it was a 1 in a million catch. Then soon after I hook one on the same jig. I was fishing light line and the fish won. So we upsized everything and that day we brought home a handful of white bass and 3 blues. After that we made it a ritual to fish that same spot the same way. Some days we would be successful with the jigs but most was not. Other than that I have caught a channel on a roostertail and a another friend of mine hooked and landed a 12lb. flathead on a topwater bait while fishing for largemouth.
    Before I use to believe catfish had bad vision since there eyes are so small. Not anymore!

2. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I know of a few people who have caught channel cats on KASTMASTERS. During the summer when the cats are after the young fry, and small gills, they will hit what ever they run accross. They may not chase it a very long distance, but if it is close they will try to eat a lure, it happens more in the summer, but that don't mean it will not other times. I have not yet had it happen to me, but I expect it will some day, as I use a KASTMASTER ofter for Trout.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i have caute a few channels on a rattle trap befor

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught channels on roostertails and also on jigs.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have caugt them on jigs you can catch the fire out of them at times on a striped bass jig tipped with shimp or minnow in the 2 to 3 lb range:smile2:

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    All the time running soft plastic, none ever real big couple pounds, and Flathead will smash a good crank bait at any time.

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i have seen channels hit a variety of lures, none very large though. i read an article not long ago that said there are catfish guides i think down south that target flatheads on castaic crankbaits. the ones that look like bluegill,crappie, and trout with really good success.

8. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    We have a small River that flows only a couple miles before it empties into the Potomac River. Above it The Occoquan Resivoir and 2 Dams that controll the overflow. During high water flow there is an area accessable to both bank and boat fishermen. I have caught several Flatheads on Striper Baits over 50# and my buddy picked up a 57# on a Cordel hot spot once. Channels in the current also will frequently hit artificials. I found that as long as they are agressivly feeding they will hit just about any small moving lure. Jigs and spinner type baits and swim baits in soft plastic seem to work the best.

9. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I've caught one cat on artificial, and i was using a really small artificial minnow, that was blue with a pink tail, i got it for 83 cents at Bass Pro, and i was surprised that i caught it, and i was fishing in a small lake down in Alabama when it happened.

10. EKYHunter

EKYHunter New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg, Kentucky
    I have caught channels and flat on jigs and crankbaits

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have caught cats on all kinds of artificials . Spoons, jigs, crankbaits,
    rubber worms, spinnerbaits. Fishing a spoon on sandbars when white bass
    are schooling and chasing shad sometimes you catch as many cats as white
    bass. Any cat I have caught on a spinnerbait or rubber worm has been a
    good one 6 to 20 lb. In my circle of friends almost every spring some one
    will catch a good flat on a crappie jig. Those flats are probably after the
    crappie and just suck up the jig as an appetizer.

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have always wondered if you can catch catfish constantly on lures

13. Moonlightn

Moonlightn New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for all the replies fellas!

14. cuttyfish

cuttyfish New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have caught them in the summer while wading a shallow river on a broke back rapala. Crushed it real hard !

15. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I have caught many channels on white roadrunner jigs, and back in my bass fishing days caught a 20+ flat on a jig and pig. I was fishing Lake Fork, and when it hit I thought I had a new world record LOL.

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've caught a few.

The most unusual one was a 3# channel that took a little popper. Not your grandfather's bluegill!:smile2:

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    During the whitebass spawning runs in the spring on our river...we'll always catch a few channel on blue or grey 2" - 4" minnow shaped grubs mounted on a lead head jig.

We'll wade out into the hip deep riffle...cast upstream...and slowly work the jig back to us...taking special care not to let it hit the rocky bottom and linger for too long...so's it won't get hung up.

Although contact with the bottom is neccessary...there is a fine line between getting the bite...and not getting snagged on one of a million rocks out there.

This is deadly on whitebass and wiper, the occasional walleye, and on a really good day...maybe four or 5 channel up to 10 lb as well.