Catfish Newbie Here

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by raiderhawk, Aug 1, 2009.

1. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey guys this is a great site! I am just starting to get into catfishing, been a bass fisherman all my life, and I am struggling figuring out where to fish. Are sandbars good places? I fish a small river and there is a sand bar with a crick running into it, its not very deep 5-6ft probably? And there is a wing dam that is like 200 yards down river. I fish from the shore. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The sandbar and wing dam are 2 good places for cats. Although that depth at the sandbar may be a lil too shallow, Try goin down to the wing dam and give it a shot. If ya need to know about baits & such be sure to go to the catfish baits section and also when ya got time swing by the member library. Im AJ if ya ever need anything post a visitor msg on my profile.. Be Glad to help. Welcome to the BOC man.

3. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    Welcome to the BOC.

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC where you'll find a great bunch of guys and gals as well as answers to almost any question you may have. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome aboard the BOC Mark. Both places you described would be fairly decent spots I would think. You'll have to try them out an let us know the out come.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the best Catfish community in the world. Great info here brother. Spend some time and gather up a bunch of iformation:wink: Might be some local BOC folks in your area too. Feel free to ask questions and post answers brother:wink:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark Welcome to the Brotherhood. Look forward to reading of your fishing trips.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

8. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Welcome. That sand bar sounds like a great night fishing spot, fish at the mouth of the creek maybe 5 feet out of it into the river and something will be there. If there are any downed trees, stumps or rootballs close by these are hotspots for day and evening fishing, although during the day in summertime deeper water is usually better. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN FISHING!

9. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the replies guys...I might give the sandbar a try tonight. Ill let you guys know how I do.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Mark! Welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :big_smile:

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Mark!!

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Mark!:0a25:.Feeder creeks and wingdams are both good spots at times.Give em a try and see what happens.:wink:

14. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I tried the Sandbar tonight with some chubs and small bluegill...the girlfriend caught a two pound and four found channel, and I caught a two pound Channel and a snapping turtle. We were getting a lot of turtle bites...probably try the wing dam next and see how it goes. thanks again guys

15. BARathke

BARathke New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Nice work catching those channels! Any pictures?

Welcome to the BOC! :big_smile:

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    welcome to the boc, the sandbar may not be bad at night time when the fish are coming up shallow to feed it's definitly wortha shot. the dam will also be a excellent place that will probably produce more fish because it creates a natural barrier.

17. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    nope no pictures...gonna have to start taking my camera along would have had some good ones tonight.

18. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Mark.

19. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry i cant be much help to ya...i myself just started fishing rivers for cats instead of from lakes. BUT just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Mark, Welcome to the BOC!