Catfish movements in rising or falling water?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mofisherman, Sep 6, 2009.

1. mofisherman

mofisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri (St. Louis Area)
    Do catfish move in closer to structure during rising water and back off as water levels fall? Mainly been fishing larger rivers and wasn't sure how water levels affect them.

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Ed and welcome to the BOC. Can't say as they relate any differently to structure, but they do tend to become more agressive in feeding during a slow rise and the bite will slow on the drop. I'm sure you'll get some imput from someone who may come closer to answering your specific question. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

It,s beem my experience,at least with flats,that they tend to roam more when the waters up some.Seems like when the waters down,they stay closer to home.:wink:

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ed, Welcome to the BOC!

5. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I fish in a river alot wene the water is up they will go were they normaly can,t go looking for food. Wene the water is going down they will go back home or to there normal holes were they hang out.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Ed.

7. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    When the river is rising, the smaller fish tend to "hole up" anywhere they can get out of the current. The big ones on the other hand, tend to roam around and go where they want eating what ever they can find. When the river is falling, I stick mostly right out in the channel, or deep channel ledges, sometimes these fish can be hard to catch, you just have to move around until you find active fish. During a fast fall, you can't go wrong fishing creek mouths and oxbow outlets. This can be some of the hottest fishin' you can get into.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep like most have said high water the cats will roam witch gives bank fishermen better odds of getting bit. rise or fall is better than down to normal for bankers because once its back to normal they will be back home at a good ambush point.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ed Welcome to the Brotherhood, from So. Illinois. You have received some good answers to your questions.

10. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Welcome to the BOC ED. You are in the right place for answers to your questions thats for sure.

11. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yes I agree , at least on lakes.Once the water rises into the trees so to speak the flatheads roam for food all day.Also when the runoff is feeding through culverts in heavy current you can flat wear the channels out , but I haven't caught any big channels this way.I just use liver on the channels with no weight and let it drift with a tight line.Good post