Catfish Movement

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 10, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We are having a heated debate in our house on movement of catfish. Do you believe they feed in same area along same bank all the time or do they move all around the bank? We are fishing in a Quarry and are fishing along a different bank and depthness. I say they are going to travel to wherever to find food. Is one bank better than another just because its North , South, East or West? Thanks Will

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In a small body of water they are going to cover it generally from stem to stern..Lookin.. but are allways gonna relate to the important stuff just like they were in the Great Lakes.

Sunny banks when its cold . shady spots when its Hot.. Wind driven bait will play. incoming water from runoff or slurry.

Depending on what they are eating.. slurpin grasshoppers is gonna have them somewhere different than Munching Fatheads or craw fish.

But like most of us I like to fish where I can drive close, build a nice fire and my cooler won't tip over.. LOL :smile2: :wink:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The wind is a big factor. The wind will blow the algae and stuff, which the shad and other food will follow.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The puzzling thing is the east bank produces then goes blank. We move to another bank and same thing. That is the reason for my question. Or is it they just get full and let it rest 2-3 days?

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Is it a small pond and are is the bite on one bank stopping, then you move to the other bank and get bit? Could be that you catch all the active fish on one side, then move to the other and do the same.

Could just be that there's some structure on one side that they like more or that holds bait (some rocks holding crawdads, etc)

Or it could be that the fish are just doing what makes it so hard to catch them - doing weird stuff that makes no sense to us land-based animals:wink:

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    kkyy..
    Had a chance to visit with a friend that about lives on an old Quarry watching his Kids do their thing.
    His formula is a fly rod with Black knats to catch a blue gill of two.. actually, I think the Kids handle that chore. and then he does the Lake Cumberlin thing with live bait (bluegill) and a balloon. Big Circle hooks seem to work best for him.
    Even with the High surround, enough swirlin goes on to scoot that balloon in random patterns and he adjusts the depth now and then.

Just thought this might be of interest to ya. Sounds like you and he might have enough in common for a two brew visit.. :wink:

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Will, they are going to go where the food is on a given day. One day it will be crayfish in the rocks, another it will be grasshoppers from the tall grass, or bugs from the overhanging trees, or young of the year fry that travel the banks in schools, or bluegills in the weedy shallows. They don't use one location all the time. They are adaptive hunters that seek out their prey. Keep moving lol.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It would be about 20 acres in size and runs to 32 feet deep