Catfish making wierd noises?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Chief, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i cant help but notice on some catfish when i get them on the boat or bank that they make a little low burping noise. i remember when i caught my first cat and it did that it freaked me out, but i havent really thought about it much. seems the big cats dont do it at all or as often. whats goin on? am i hurting them?

2. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    No you are not hurting them. Some catfish "bark" so they call it, and some dont. Almost all the cats I have caught do this.

3. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    For whatever reason I hate that sound...like nails on a chalkboard to me.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    All catfish can make that sound. A catfish produces these "stridulatory sounds" by rubbing the base of the petcoral spine against the pectoral girdle...kinda' like grinding the ball & socket joint of your shoulder. The sound is typically made as the catfish locks its spines as a defense mechanism. There is some research that shows the sound changes with fish size and some catfish even have a preference for using the right or left fin! As I've said before, those cats are cool fish!! :cool:

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  6. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    interesting. reminds me of how a crickett rubs its back legs together to create the chirping sound. i wonder if they do that in the water as a way of communicating. i think carp do it too

7. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My daughter always gets a kick out of when I get the catfish to "talk to her"...........sometimes I ask her what they say and she tells me they say to throw them back in:p

8. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fish Geek your vocab is amazing.We just call it croaking. Thanks for the bio lesson.

9. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bet she's right.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard catfish that I caught, making noise.

11. Catfish bait

Catfish bait New Member

State:
    manitoba
    I've had catfish, carp, suckers, and drum all make weird noises. Guess you would be complaining too if you were them.

12. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    All the ones I catch will do that croak noise. To me it sounds like stretching wet rubber gloves lol. I've noticed that the liluns do it alot, and I think it's a sort of release call. If you've ever had toads or frogs, sometimes when you hold 'em they'll make a little noise, which is supposed make whatever's eating them drop them. So my guess that catfish grunt to make ya wanna drop 'em. I love the sound though :)

13. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    All the smaller ones I catch croke, seems like the bigger ones don't.

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    My Mom used to always tell me as a child that catfish "meow". Interesting to hear everyone else's take on their sound. The smaller ones do sound like they are meowing to me, but the larger ones seem to grunt, like the rest of us old folks. ;)

15. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When i was a little boy i was told if you listen real close, you can hear what they are saying........" ROPE BROKE "..................:confused: :thumbsup: :0a28: :0a26:

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    That's just that ole cat sayin let me go or i'm gonna fin you.lol

17. lonchr

lonchr New Member

State:
    MO
    Yeah the little ones seem to make more of a fuss than the bigger ones. Maybe the older ones know that it's not going to help any.

18. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

State:
    Alabama
    i love the sound of a barking catfish, its like music to my ears.

19. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I like it too Scott, and welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net!

20. Gone Catfishing

Gone Catfishing New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't like it, I don't hate it. But how much of a bad day can you be having if you're hearing it?