catfish limits

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by flatheadslayer, Nov 17, 2009.

do you think we need a creel limit on catfish in ga.?

1. yes

2. no

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    how does everyone feel about there being no limit on the # of catfish a person can keep.i remember when it use to be 50 per person,thats more than most people need.i know people that keep 3 or 400 pounds in a 1 or 2 night trip,and will do it everytime they go out.i keep my share of fish,but no limit is a bit extreme in my book.i think we need a limit to help stop people from abusing the catfish population.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i didnt vote because im not from GA, however i wish KY had one. i think a slot limit would be the best kind. it would allow the little ones to get just a bit bigger, and let the big breeders go to populate. also i think the slot should open up again around the state record to allow for a new one to be caught

3. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i may be wrong, but i think all catfish over30 ins should be releasts.....put the limit at 25 fish.....or maybe only 1 fish between 30 & 40 be kept...and all fish over 40 must be put back.....:0a36:(dont forget i maybe wrong )

4. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I think they should have a limit of some sort

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i didnt vote, but i think all states should have a limit and a possission limit!!!iowa the limit is 8 fish and 30 possession, last year it was 15 limit and 30 posession but i dont kepp to many buti still think there should be a limit in all states!!

6. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i would like to see limits put on catfish but everyone knows all the baitfish (bass,crappie, and bream) are the priority for the dnr:sad2:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would like to see trophy catfish laws imposed on all waters. I really like the way Alabama has theirs set up where you can have 1 fish over 34 inches per lisenced fisherman

8. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    that would be good I didn't even know that it's sort of like stripers

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    TN has the same rule (1 over 34") and from the numbers of big fish, it's workin' there :wink:. I don't understand why DNR can't do this at least in some places, such as the Coosa River. GA DNR recommends that you do not eat blue cats over 32" from the Coosa anyway, so why not protect the big fish and have a real trophy catfishery in GA :big_smile:.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great point brother! I believe that it will make its way here soon, but how much damage will be done before it happens. I think if it was not for that danged red eared sunfish we would already have it

11. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    or the red breast bream.good bait by the way.

12. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I think they should put a 1 fish over 34" size limit rule in GA also, not so much on numbers.
    If you put the big ones back they will make enough little ones to make up for the ones people eat and wast.

13. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i dont think the regular catfisher is gonna hurt the population. but the commercial fishers should have a limit.

14. Sumpfmann

Sumpfmann New Member

State:
    Florida
    I asked the Florida FWC if they considered limits, or even gamefish status, for catfish. Their response was that the current regulations are protective of the species. No limits or gear restrictions is protective?

15. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Ya'll like trot lines? :smile2::smile2::smile2: LMAO

16. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    not me ...to much like work.....:0a33:

17. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah i run trot lines but only keep what i need.that is one reason we need a limit, size&number.i no how many fish can be taken on trotlines & limblines.and theres people that will keep every fish they catch on one.trot lines & and limblines are'nt a bad thing,they just need to be better regulated.no one needs to bring home 3 or 400 lbs. of fish everytime they go.we NEED a limit.

18. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Bumper started a petition a long time ago. I think it was 1 over 34" per day with no limit under 34". Not many people would sign it. Seems there are a lot of folks that want to keep every fish they catch. :roll_eyes:

19. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    If people want to be able to catch big catfish then there should be a size limit. I don't think we will over harvest the smaller catfish, because catfish does have a large percentage of their young make to adult size at least to a good harvest size.

Just my thoughts

20. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thems the people that we need a limit for.i know people that don't even eat fish,but they won't let them go.they'll take everything,and either sell them or show them off then give them away ,"if they can". sometimes they just show them off,then dump them.that pisses me off,keep what you need let the rest go,is my way of thinking.