Catfish letting go of the hook!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catangler53, Jul 30, 2009.

1. catangler53

catangler53 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was fishin the other night and i had my line straighten out so i pick up my pole and set the hook on him. As i was reelin him in it let go! Can anyone tell me y he let go for so i dont have this happen to me again

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Eric. Could be a number of reasons the cat is letting go. Might be the size of hook on to the sizes of bait that causes this. Also some places the cats just came off spawn as some have mentioned an that may be why their so aggressive to hit real fast an drop it. Fish on an good luck!

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Also if you're fishing a river or stream it could very well be a gar. Maybe even some lakes, i'm just not familiar with any lakes that have gars. Alot of people make the assumption that if they are fishing for cats then a catfish is exactly what is doing this with their baits. But not always the case! By the way welcome to the BOC!

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    welcome to the BOC shounds like gar to me also

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc!! i'm guessing gars too!! if there in the area they will slowly tear your bait apart and won't take long to start once your bait hits the water!!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One way to find out. put a piece of the that ol yellow polypropolene rope on the hook with the bait. Give him something to tangle his teeth in.

It sounds like gar to me though.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like either gar or smaller cats that bit off more than they could chew and couldn,t swallow the bait.What size bait were you using?

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First WELCOME to the B.O.C.!! Yep sure sounds like faithful ole Gar to me also.Now if you was using stink bait I'd say small Channels.Cut Bait =Gar.Keep trying you'll get it.

9. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    welcome Eric,

im having a similar problem here at a local river that i fish quite often, some have said i may have a gar problem, i changed the sizes of my hooks went from a 6/0 to a 10/0 octo circle gamakatsu, have yet to snag one since the gear change, ive gotten great advice from some members on here, all i can really tell you is to try to change your hook sizes to atleast a 9 or 10/0 hook, i use bream that are about the size of my hand, and i also started using a trailer or a (stinger hook) heres a small and quick diagram i used to rig one with live bait.. this may also work with cut bait aswell http://img246.imageshack.us/i/02172007085913amli0.jpg/ hope this works for you!

shane

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Too much tension.. Cats cant stand that and if they feel an abundance of pressure as they take the bait theyll spit it up.. Yes they do have power to straighten a hook and do so with enough anger built up. Hope this helps!:wink:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a gar to me also.