Catfish kills man

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, May 11, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    This is straight off of ESPN.com

posted May 10, 2006:

Catfish turns tables

There's little doubt that my good friend and ESPNOutdoors.com columnist Keith "Catfish" Sutton has heard just about every tall tale about angling for whiskerfish that's ever been told.

But here's one that I'll bet is beyond anything even the old master of bottomfishing has heard.

Hungarian news reports today that angler Gabor Komlosy apparently was dragged into the Szamos River by a 150-pound catfish and drowned Sunday while attempting to retrieve the 4-footer.

Authorities said when they retrieved the body of the 53-year-old angler, he was still clinging to his rod — and the catfish remained solidly hooked on the line.

Police investigating the accident speculated that the fisherman was pulled from the bank by the enormous fish and hit his head on a rock.

The wels catfish (Silurus glanis, a k a sheatfish) that are native to most of Europe grow larger than any species found in North America and can tip the scales at 300 pounds or heavier. FORUM | MAILBAG

2. Wickedbreed

Wickedbreed New Member

State:
    Indiana
    NOW THATS THE WAY TO DIE!!!....if i had the option!

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, I've heard of a couple of incidents where guys catching catfish by hand were drowned by the catfish.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Had one almost kill me once also. I was drift fishing and had too many barley pops. I was bending over the side of the boat to net this fish and fell in the lake and had a heck of a time geting back in the boat as it was drifting away from me. I learned my lesson after that no more cheep on sale beer(natural light) It was BUD LIGHT from then on. Oh yes that cat was a monster. lost my rod and reel and the net.If I had to guess Ill bet it weighed all of 3 pounds. Not to mention that I spilled my beer and we all know thats alcohol abuse.Bigcatman0816.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    As a matter of saftey and of the law, you showed never drink and operate ANY kind of machineary. Especially moving vehicles like BOATS and CARS!!!! For saftey of you and of those around you, don't D.U.I.!!!!

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've seen this report on several fishing forums today. several years back I read a story very close to this one in a magazine but the one I read said his last words were "I think I have him now", only to be found dead several days later. I'd cut the line personally before I'd let something drag me in the water.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Man thats just crazy!!!

8. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Talk about highs and lows! Catching a 150# fish is just awesome, but havin' it kill ya kinda puts a damper on that!:sad2:

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    ???????????????????????? :confused2:

10. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Never underestimate the will of a true catfisher. The guy fought that fish to his death. Most less serious fisherman would have just cut the line or let go of the rod.:crazy: :lol:

Just to clarify I would fall into the less serious crowd myself. No fish out there worth dying for.:cool2:

11. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    wow i dont think i would want to die that way. i would rather catch the fish.

12. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I hope that that never happens to me!

13. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dang that is some crazy stuff. Those wels do get pretty darn big I hear. They would be fun to fish for I think.

14. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri

I'm with FatKat. Life's too short to get uptight!

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    dont most reels have drags for that kind of thing:confused2: :confused2: :confused2: :roll_eyes: ???????????????????????????????????

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    There was a man here, that was probably in his mid 70's that they found out in the creek with rod in hand and a 10 lb cat on his line. He had a heart attack and was dead before he hit the water. He always said he wanted to die out fishing, guess he got his wish. His name was Jack Hummel, he was a retired plumber. I hope I die like he did.

17. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i guess thats about the best way i can think of to go:smile2:

18. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    That would be my luck if I was ever lucky enough to hang into one that size.

19. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    haha yea that musta been some hefty line to pull him in without ullin out drag or braking off
    guess i bettter bring the life jacket bank fishing :)

20. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That's crazy. That guy sure did want that fish. I have a feeling I'm gonna go along the lines of that, I can see myself wading in chest deep water and getting sucked under by a world record flathead. haha