Catfish Kenny's Penn 330 gt review

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfish kenny, Dec 9, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thought I would give a review on this reel-I bought it the beginning of this fishing season 08 and put it on a cabellas saltstriker trolling rod there is pictures in my photo album JIGGY ETC.
    If you are not a Penn fan I dont know if youd like this reel but If I was a bettn man I'd say ya would....it is kind of stiff and niosey but once she is dialed in smooth and silkey...beyond that and even on this short 5.6 rod I can sling the lead a country mile...I bagged several 15lbers with it and shoot its a sweet piece.....line capacitey is richious for yer heavier mono(i am using 50lb eagleclaw)it holds a vast amount...fer who fish 24/7 ya aint gotta restring it three times a yr.(LOL)
    My personal preferance in reels is the old vintige ones like the 209/309 I love there no bones durrabilitey and ruggedness because I fish bout anywhere I can and it might end up in mudd-sand or on the rocks but were diong it..
    I give around a hundred bucks for the reel alone and I would buy me ten more if I could swing it ...I have never owned a baitcaster I can set and just sling not touch and it will not ratt up this one is like that....beyond the niose and stiffness this reel is very smooth to me...I own a couple Abu's and they are great reels to but I want my money in a U.S.of A. company and they do not fit the bill.....I would reccomend this reel to anyone it is worth the money once you become one with it! It's Very nice piece!

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Right on Kenny!!! That Baby will pull a Downed Horse out of a Mud hole,Tuffer than Nails,Meaner than a Junkyard Dog Just like My X Old Lady.But I Wouldn't give a hundred bucks apiece for Any more of Her!! LOL. Yup I'm Still on the Jug just like You,and now that our Good Friend PB has thrown in the Towel I'd Think the cost of Hooch should be coming down Don't You??? Hay Major(That's My Hunting Dog) Grab me another Cold one out of the cooler and Don't go Slobbering all over it again Ya Hear. Later J.D.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey give it a review....there is too many ABU fans round here and them Penns need a little recognition:wink:I love mine and I aint salt waterin but if I want I could jus swap somre bait and roll on to the big drink(LOL)its the universal soldier(LOL) Yeah baby!(LOL)

4. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Boy, that review might tempt me to come over to the "dark" side of Penn... It will have to go a long way to come out on top of my Squidders, though!

Thanks for the info, bro!

5. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    im with you kenny i have heard alot about penn reels. i dont own one but i am saving up for one in the comming months and i plan on getting one. i know this guy who only will use penn he loves them and he said he can cast his super far and he swears by their toughness. Since i am going to make a purchase i did not want to rush into things so i have did alot of research on reels and different ones and i like what i see in penn but i have heard some bad things in reviews about penn models at cabela's website though. kenny you said that the reel was kind of stiff and nosiy.. what do you mean stiff?????? i dont care about noise not a problem..

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    your clicker mechanism is a lill roug to switch....Its taken some gettin use to and it has some nioses that my smaller reals dont have....the 209 & 309 are workhorses and sheer brutes but I personaley love my Penns.I want to try a 320t now.when I bought this one and I did buy it at cabellas in St.Lious I went big but it was well worth the money.Most people like your Garcia's and they do tend to be a little more smooth but ....Give me a Penn:wink:

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Light it up (LOL) Its a great reel worth the change in my book:wink:

8. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I got my 330GTI for a weddin' gift from my best man..
    12 years ago and it will flat cast a chunk of lead...
    I have it on a 14' cheap rod with cheap 30lb mono and it will cast exactly the same distance as my 6500c3 with no brakes and power pro on a 10' cheap rod...

It is a workhorse not noisy at all..

it has cought it's share of fish in some heavy current and still works like new ..But don't look like new:big_smile:

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    now this is what I like to see ...different opions...I love mine and maybe since I have and do use several different kind of reels my thoughts and opion are ...well different maybe wrong in assumption??? but in any case Thank you I was hoping I wasnt the only fisher on here that uses this reel(LOL) this rr combo I have is my main one and I use the hell out of it usualey hold it and put my 309-or 209 in the rod holder.I am still trying to put this distance in casting into perspective cause mine will fly as good or better then any other reel I own or have owned ....I personaley will buy nothing but Penns now when it comes to reel shopping although I still want to get a Abu 7000c3I sometime too...I have a 6500 my woman has taken over and its a great reel I just dont like the gearing and size of it because I fish alot and snaggs-breaking line ya have to restring it too much this reel and my 309/209's can last plus they take the heavey mono well. Thanks !

10. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My 2nd cousin had a 7000 on a 9' rod-- and i was using at the time a solid super heavy fiberglass 6' rod and a #9 penn with 20lb trilene xl...

Fish were not biting webber falls lock and dam ok.
    Casting contest began and he beat me each time about 15 feet...

The #9 penn i think with a longer rod will hold it's own with a 7000 that is stock....
    I had that reel since i was 12 and drift fishing i constantly snagged the bottom and i would reel the boat up stream in that arkansas river..
    15 years of that kind of abuse and i finally striped a gear:angry:
    Treat them better and they will last longer

Learn to cast them and they work excellent for 1/4 the price

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I own five 7000's and still have one 6500.....this past summer I bought my first penn, a 310gt. Took a lil getting used to, but I like it alot. It's a lil different then the garcia's......not as quick, but has more cranking power....which is probably what you want for catfishing anyway. It will throw 40# mono good, which the 6500 can't do......and holds about as much line as the 7000. For the price they're hard to beat....

12. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Here is an equealizer DACRON LINE...I ran out last year #80 and cant find it here so i went power pro.....
    The dacron green stripe i was using is far superior to the power pro. holds knots better --has 3x as many strands -- and limp limp limp... and ZERO memory
    put some(dacron) on a friends big penn with no level wind and his casting was doubled and then some over the mono,, and less backlashing...

Them mono kinks create backlash syndrome...so i change my mono quite often in the 330 i have found that the cheap wallyworld 30 works as good as big game for the short time i leave it on my reels..

I have done back to back testing on the same day and the amount of pull to break off was unnoticeable between the 2 lines casting distance unchanged

Had the biggame on for about 1 week and spooled with cheapie and casting distance was greatly improved--Another test

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Bought my first Penn,a 77 in the summer of 1954 and kept on going!Dacron was the preferred line on most multiplying reels back then.Still good!I have never been dissatisfied with a Penn reel in 54 years.The only folks that I ever knew to complain about one would tear up a steel ball with a rubber bat.They abused them.I think this is true of most reels.This species have a call.It is "Yuk,Yuk!They ain't made nothing that I can't tear up"!It is often followed by,"can I borrow your other rig"?"Mine just broke".YEP,I can say NO!

I have heard many people say that they "cannot cast a Penn".I have seen thousands of children cast Penns as have all who were raised fishing saltwater.I believe these folk who say they "cannot cast them" to be physical or mental cripples or just refuse to take the time to learn.They went to a reel that will do it for you without you having to learn the skill required to cast a plain reel.I say this as a now retarded cripple who now has difficulty casting any reel.Hundreds of thousands of "Normal" people world wide cast Penns.I also used spin casters,the easiest casting reel in the world.I used them back when I could cast anything that I wished.I am not condemning anyone actions.I just do not believe the "I could not" for most.I just think that they could if they really wished.No,I am not saying they would get the distance or be satisfied.I just believe that most on here can cast anything that they really wish to learn.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very nice Thank you fella's good stuff here.....

15. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hello all

Well might as well jump on in , i also own a couple of those penn's a 500 or 2 ,a couple 3 those of 9's , a 10 , a 140 or 2 , 310 , 320 , a 210 , i think thats all . And just to be fair i do own a Abu 5000 vintage with the pearl looking handles as far as i can tell it has little to no use box and tools included . And i might add a daiwa 27h thats a pretty sweet reel (garage sale grab bag purchase for $5 ) . Oh and a 6000c i believe it is another casting machine to say the least .

16. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When I was a kid fishing the rivers I would always see these old guys with these red or black reels with chrome always having good luck as a kid I thought it had to be the reels so I asked what kind of reel is that the reply was always the same Penn. So I figured to increase my catch I need one of those reels so to say I cut some yards and bought my first Penn a 65 Long Beach it was used, but new to me so now over 20 years later that 65 is still catching nice cats now along with many other Penns. That is all I use for cats.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Recently I cleaned,lubed and put new drag washers in my Penn Long Beach 68.It held 400 yards of 50 lb.Mono.They are a wench with that 2.5-1 ratio.I passed it on to my son.Best that I can remember,it is 45 years old.This dad blame old cripple was winding my fingers up with the line.I had to go to A USA made 345 GTI some years back.It ain't the horse that Long Beach is.It only has a 3.25 to one ratio and holds 25 yards less line.I have it spooled with 600 yards of 30 lb.mono in case it is used for King fish.30 lb.mono will now hold more than I can handle anyway.I am sort of embarrassed to be seen with a level wind on a reel.Never used one for 50+ years.

It ain't the age or the mileage that has been so rough on me.It was being DRUG for all of those miles!

Now if my Dogs,Women and I would have held up as good as that 68,it would have been great!

18. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have a 67 longbeach and it has the last of my #80 dacron on it about 3/4 full, care to guess how many yards on that one
    More than any oklahoma fish can drag out. at least any i have caught..

Gotta love them old reels

19. boost3782

boost3782 New Member

State:
    USA
    Thanks to Kenny's review, I just picked up 2 penn 309ms with some 80lb powerpro braid on them. They took 300yds each lol. Awsome reels! Slapped em onto ugly sticks 8ft MH rods. Nice setup. Thanks again for the reviews!

Kyle

20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa