Catfish just are not biting?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by fisherking, May 13, 2007.

1. fisherking

fisherking New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have been fishing the bottoms, mississippi, missouri, the last couple of weeks and guys am gonna be honest, what the hell is going on? Today I fished over by golden eagle, Illinois side, using a large variety of baits, and all I got was just a nibble here and there, used crawlers, shad, liver, stink bait, bacon, shrimp, and am really just frustrated right now any suggestions???

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had the same problem for about a month straight. I didnt give in to it though and I continued to explore my options. I'm not to familiar with the area's you've been fishing, but if i were you i'd just make sure I'm fishing the areas under dam's and by creeks and other areas where bait fish are schooling to. For awhile I was just fishing during the day because that was the only time I had to fish, but I started devoting some nights and have been having great success. Best of Luck! Dont give up

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Welcome to the BOC.. Hang in there.. The water was just warming up enough to turn on the bite when we got all this rain.. Once the water drops, give it a week or so and the bite will turn back on.. They'll also be in their prespawn feeding frenzy at the same time..

4. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
    Agreed. Maybe if the itch to get one is just killing you, I'd fish a local pond or lake. Sadly thats what I had to do a few days after no success to make sure I wasnt missing an important variable that slipped past me. I did quite well and i'm sure you will this season

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just thought I might give you guys a heads up, we Iowans have caught them all just so you wouldn't get any.LOL

Now that we have that out of the way, I have been catching nice size eaters 3-8 lbers on Sonny's dip bait for almost a month. Later Andy

6. howards

howards New Member

State:
    IL.
    The rivers are all high around here and the catfish are up the small creeks now. So are the cappie.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A couple buddies and i fished all night friday in shelbyville. we fished in the dam, then all over the lake. early in the morning we seen some really big fish rolling, but we could'nt get a bite...the water was 70* i think they're already spawning. the water temp in the dam was 54* the runoff in the dam comes off the bottom. so that goes to show you the difference in the lake temp from top to bottom.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Andy.. If you'd quit sending all that water our way we'd be catching fish left and right.. Hopefully the rains are gonna slow down in the near future.

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    been having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!

hopefully soon they will start biting.... a few fish here and there and thats IT NOTHING ELSE!!!

weird huh.... o well thats how it goes

10. BigCatDreaming

State:
    Illinois
    I doubt they've started spawning, but its a possibility. In most our waters here in Northern Illinois they wont start spawning till early-mid june and it usually ends in early july. I wouldnt let that throw you off though because channel cats will still bite anything near them it seems like. So maybe change strategy and reel up every 30 minutes and cast into a new position. I hear they really like the riprap shorelines to spawn so maybe drift a slip bobber rig down a rocky shore.

11. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I havent been fishing the mississippi cause it is so high. Now it is backing up the small river I had been catching fish in. Went friday caught 1 little flathead, saturday caught 1 8lb blue. Water needs to drop, then we'll catch them.

12. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i found them in backwater,sloughs.and large flood creeks.

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    in high water fish the eddie holes and along the shore where the fish exscape the high fast moving currents , iv caught them in 2 foot and less water near the banks and infact on the banks in 6 inches of water , here latly we havent gotten any rain and the rivers are below normal levels for this time of year . the ohio river looks like it should in august , but iv managed to land a few cats in the middays sun on the drift 3 to 6 feet off the bottom the water temps here are in the upper 60's and the current is moving .53 miles per hour the water is so clear you cant see your 12 inch shad 4 feet down

14. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know about other waters, but on my water, the fish stop feeding around Noon and don't start up again until around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. I think they're on their afternoon siesta.

I've had solid success along the shoreline bouncing from deadfall to deadfall up and down the river. Been averaging 2 fish an hour for about a month now.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    They might be on their nests. try looking for rock piles & rip rap to fish and fish over/on it.

16. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im having the same problem. I fish the mississippi around Quincy and nothin yet! I think with the high water earlier in the spring and the fluctuating water levels they are just messed up. Just think of how many fish go up in the shallows when the water is high and dont come back when it drops. You should be able to patern them here pretty quick now that the water isnt up any more. I dont know why but they have got the water down to the level it should be in mid summer, they keep messing with the water level but hopefully they will keep it more steady.

17. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`ve talked to alot of people and by far,May of this year has been the worst.You might catch one or two but thats it.I`m pretty sure its because of the wacky weather that weve been having.But forecast is showing some stable weather ahead...so hopefully that`ll change things.