Catfish jugging with live bait and three hooks

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Mac-b, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Last night, a catfishmen visted me and informed me that two guys in a bass boat (no slam on bass fishermen) had hundreds of jugs out on Lake Norman (Saturday and Sunday) and they were baited with live bream/gills and white perch. Some jugs had as many as three hooks and 15' of line. This morning I got an e-mail to me as a Lake Norman Marine Commissioner informing me that his cove was full of jugs (same general area as mention previously) this past weekend and wanted to know if it was legal. I imformed him that it was and that they had to be attended. I know that this is a job for law enforcement but, with the cut back in lake time (due to cost of gasoline) I doubt that one could get an enforcement officers out over what some look at as a minor vilolation. How does an average fisherman handle something like this? I know we know the answer but, do we want to present the question.

2. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Strictly speaking about Lake Norman this lake is hard to patrol. Lots of water and lots of big creeks etc. There is already the no live bait restriction on jugs and set-lines, so these guys were jugging outside the law. On Norman most of the officers stick around the mid-lake area (Pinnacle etc), and do not venture upriver that much. You hope that people would follow the laws, but that is not always the case. We talk about reg's, but they will only work if people accept what they are. I think that the officers do the best they can, but dangerous drivers on the lake or people who are drunk is choice #1, and with catfish as they are now you are talking about a fish with no creel or size limit. Not exactly top of the list type stuff. I have talked to officers on the lake about areas I know guys are using live baits on limblines or jugs, and they always tell me they will do the best that they can, and I believe them. I think that when you see people doing stuff like this on the lake, that is not within the law, report it immediately, and if you see the boat call in the vessel number...and then make sure that they do not try to kill you. Again, I think a 50 hook restriction (if followed) would be a good idea.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Afew years ago i was fishing and a jug got caught in my line. When I lifted it up there was live shiners on it. Needless to say I re-educated the guys on regulations on juglining. They weren't too happy. The good news, I haven't seen them around since then.

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    could be per jug.....for every one that has live bait on it.

They are breaking the law with each jug. Next time they are seen...the person needs to call 1-800-662-7137 before they call anyone else. Whether or not anyone will show up on time is another matter...but they might.

Changes a lot of things when you use live bait.....all of a sudden, the poaching like numbers of jug fishing get applied to bass, stripers, flatheads, etc......

I know it's a tradition but it is one that is too easily abuse unfortunately, any method when so many hooks are used is.

Get ready for another 6 page thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    I sure hate to see people like that messing up things for the rest of us.

Those using live bait on jugs and limb lines should be fined to the max!

I like to jug my self from time to time. Usually all we put out is about 12 to 15 jugs.

There should be a limit to the amount of jugs allowed per boat say 20 jugs per boat. Also they should have to have your boat registration number on them so that the wildlife officer can tell whos they are.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    When I worked at a sports good store (1999 to 2004) in Denver we sold fishing lic. and I was told then, by whom I don't remember that jugs had to be label with a tel. no., or fishing lic. number, or name and address and had to be attended. I have read the current regulations concerning this and it only applies to fixed lines. Sorry if I miss led anyone, but I was going by memory, not current law. But, most jugs on LKN have some type of identifaction on them to this day and most are attended.

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    the most any one of us can do is to call wildlife, or just to let them know that they can't use live bait on the jugs, maybe they didn't know... or maybe they just didn't care... not everyone really reads the regs, and those of us who do should remind people of what the regs are.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Tony, I like your idea.

If jugging has to stay around, there should be a limit on the jugs. Putting out as many as you want presents a safety and management issue. Not to mention it can look like crap on the water.

BTW, the counties that border Lake Norman could easily make it a law enforecement function by making it illegal to "place anything in the water that is not in direct control, by means of a rope or line, by the person placing it there". It does not ban jugging, which is a tate managed function, but makes it really hard to jug. It also allows the police to enforce the law, whereas now only the NCWRC can enforce a jug law.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Next we'll see limit proposals on the number of rods that can be used because the guy in the next boat has 15 rods and is pulling in some monsters.

Sad fact.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mark J your comments are the typical "the sky is falling" scare tactic that everyone uses for any regulation that is suggested concerning wildlife. I have seen and heard the same argument in every form of wildlife management from turkeys to deer. Usually it is followed in short order by " if we bad this what will be next", or, "this is what the PETA folks want; divisiveness".

The truth of the matter is that when the sportsmen call for regulations it is more often grounded in what is good for the wildlife than the special interests of some group.

If 15 rods in a boat presents the safety issue that unattended free floating jugs presents, then the complaintants can wage war, but until then I will take my chances.

BTW, if I find a jug with live bait it is destroyed.

My hope is that it is banned totally, or regulations are written to seriously restrict it and control it. If the fishermen are incapable of doing what is right then I welcome the state to step up.

11. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    "Again, I think a 50 hook restriction (if followed) would be a good idea."

If a 50 hook restriction is a good idea when it comes to preserving fish,
    then why wouldnt a one hook restriction be better?

12. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Why is live bait prohibited on jugs in your state? Is there a specific line of reasoning that would allow live bait with rod/reel but not otherwise?

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

Now Im not picking no fights or looking for trouble but I have a question. Im from PA where you cant use a jug unless you have a line running back to you (theyd consider it hand fishing) We are limited to no more then 2 lines when not ice fishing with a max of 3 hooks per line. What is the need for so many jugs if your not a commercial fisherman?

14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    You know, some folks are just that greedy! They want more than what they need of everything, cars, women, money, big houses..... when these same people go fishing they set out a hundred jugs.

15. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    let me make myself clear i have jugged and will probly jug again for fun and sometimes becouse im mad at someone sometimes it makes me fall down but we might not be talking about the same kind of jugs thats all i know about jugs. your friendly jugger ron howard

16. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Scott does have a very good question for all you juggers. I would like to see some good answers on that. As for Roundhill well I don't mind his jugging at all.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Boy, I absolutely agree! Anybody that uses anything but a fly rod and a dry fly with a barbless hook is definitely a fish hog! And not sportsman! Probably beats his wife, kids, and dogs. Sound a little extreme? I've actually met people who felt that way about fly fishing. If you've got an issue with the game & fish laws of your state, you have the right to do your best to get them changed. If you can find enough folks who think like you, you'll be successful; otherwise, not. But until those laws are changed, anyone using any LEGAL method to take LEGAL numbers of fish have every right to do so without being harassed by folks who don't care to do the same.

18. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

Jerry,

I agree with you, but, when somebody has so many jugs out that you can't get in a creek, or even drive up the lake without running over them, it's getting a little extreme even if it is legal.

A fella from MO sent me this PM "In Missouri not only can you use live bait on jugs, trotlines, and limb lines but if you visit the MO Dept of Conservation website they recommend it!

19. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry if I stirred anything up. If NC says you cannot use live bait with jugs then you should follow those rules. Being that I am a fella from MO I will just follow the rules here. As for enforcing the laws I believe its best to leave that to the professionals.

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree that putting out so many jugs in a creek or cove that no one else can fish it is inconsiderate, but at Pickwick this past weekend, folks in boats would not only crowd right in on you, but run in and out at top speed, creating waves that actually endangered other boats. One passenger in my boat was almost thrown out. And these were rod & reel fishermen. You can't really say that one group, say jug fishermen, trotliners, rod & reelers, or fly fishermen are inconsiderate, rudeness transcends all bounderies.